#1 10-6-2016 11:45 AM

mark_blake
Mark
Couch Potato
Posts: 1

How do you protect your sensitive data while traveling?

I end up traveling about 75% of the time for work, both in the US and internationally.

I keep reading about hackers using remote scanners to skim data off of the bank cards, and I have to admit that my cards are getting compromised a few too many times for my liking.

So looked into a getting a RFID wallet and found a good quality one from a company called Silent Pocket.

Been using it for about 6 weeks now and haven't had an issue with my cards since. Could be completely unrelated, I realize, but probably better safe than sorry.

So all this said, what do the rest of you do for protection when traveling? Can passport info be jacked? What about smart phone hacking? I don't even want to use my phone outside of the country.

I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid, or if this is a thing?

Lmk, please!

#2 10-6-2016 10:04 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1673

Re: How do you protect your sensitive data while traveling?

??? I think you are being at least a little paranoid. Why would out of millions of people would you be the target. I have yet to ever have any problem with my passport, my iphone while in Canada/US or my laptop in at least 3-4 countries. THAT SAID the wallet idea is a good one. Using secure bank cards at ATMS that are not remote and stand alone. Better at the bank itself. I hardly ever use one just get cash back at the grocer etc. Check the machines/terminals that you use at cheap places like gas stations. The skimmers are replaced by criminals but you can easily pick it up and check it before swiping. Use cash for dinners out abroad instead of your card unless it is a secured international bank credit card. When in Canada/US I actually have the same bank company and it helps having a local bank if there is a problem.

I am not bullet proof, but large and strong and have little fear of non weapon criminals so I always have enough cash on me when in other cities. Don't keep it all in your wallet. In fact in many places I don't carry one just an ID and cash in different places. I avoid using my card as much as possible. Hotel payment online, cash for food and travel. Have had no problem with wifi using my iphone outside of the US. They can get you at home too, so no need to let it ruin your fun. Airport employees can be criminals and steal info as well as credit card company employees so either go off grid or just be as safe as you can.

Last edited by Sept922 (10-6-2016 10:06 PM)

#3 10-7-2016 1:00 AM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1083

Re: How do you protect your sensitive data while traveling?

Not using your phone out of the country is a bit paranoid I'd say. I think I'd be more worried about pick pockets than hackers when it comes to handphones.

On credit cards, I'm still a bit skeptical about using it abroad, but would still use it if necessary, as reputable places like hotels/shopping malls/airport.

At the moment I still refuse to use ATMs abroad. Some people say it's cheaper than going to the money exchange but I believe it depends on the T/C of your banks. I know mine charges a relatively high sum for each transaction which makes it not feasible to be making frequent small withdrawals, which depeats the purpose of using the ATM.. so... yeah...

Other "Sensitive information" that could easily "leak out" is the bar code on your boarding pass which basically reveals all your details if being scanned by the right device. Therefore it's advisable not to post it online or dispose it without first destroying the bar code.

#4 10-7-2016 3:49 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5999

Re: How do you protect your sensitive data while traveling?

My card info has been misused abroad, but no more often than at home, and as it was blindingly obvious that I was not really buying car parts in the USA at the same time as hotel rooms in Uganda the bank were utterly fine about just cancelling the bad payment.

In general I would not post pictures of boarding cards, receipts or my passport online. And I tend to switch off the data roaming on my phone because it's expensive. But beyond that, I also worry a little more about traditional pickpockets. And I will not let fear ruin my trip. It seems to me that I am at far more risk of technologically literate thieves at home, doing online shopping or in tech savvy cities in the U.K. or Europe than I ever would be whilst traveling.

#5 10-7-2016 4:31 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1350

Re: How do you protect your sensitive data while traveling?

I use my phone out of the country all the time
As Jen said I'm also more worried about pick pockets than hackers
credit card I'm a bit more careful with, I only use it as a back-up system in case my bank card doesn't work
I use my bankcard as much as possible, paying in stores, restaurants etc. if I can or to get cash money. I don't like to have too much cash on me, again I'm more worried about pick pockets than scammers, I do take a good look at the ATM before giving it my card, if anything looks off I'll go and find another one

#6 10-9-2016 4:54 PM

slayerspike
Blair
Melbourne, Australia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IV
Posts: 2030

mark_blake wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid, or if this is a thing?

Lmk, please!

the RFID "skimmers" your referring to can pull the info from anything that has an RFID chip. This includes your passport and anything with a chip. With the cards it doesn't get the number on the back.

I don't know how well the RFID blocker wallets use but wouldn't mind getting one just to test the theory.

For smart phone, disable bluetooth and wifi when it's not required. I run though a private VPN on my phone and tablet which encrypts all traffic.

also, never use an ATM if the card slot doesn't look right as it may have a skimmer on it. if you want to be super paranoid be aware that many of the EFTPOS machine in shops have been hijacked and the shops don't even know...According to a representative from the Australian FBI it's something like 20-30% of all EFTPOS machines in Australia have been hijacked.

now.

If you want to protect yourself.
Run a private VPN on your devices. I recommend Private Internet Access (www.privateinternetaccess.com)
Have multiple cards to different banks. That way if one is hijacked you don't loose everything.
Check your bank transactions regularly. banks will gibe you your money back if your hijacked but they need to cancel the card and send a new one.

Passport wise, out of sight out of mind. I always try to use my drivers licence for ID and only produce my passport if they ask for it.

Happy travels, don't be paranoid.

#7 10-14-2016 12:40 PM

rajeev_ktm
Kathmandu, Nepal
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 101

Re: How do you protect your sensitive data while traveling?

I think one need to be careful with pickpocket than hackers,

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer