#1 6-23-2016 8:31 AM

jake0020
Jake
Essex, England
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

FCO Advice change on Democratic Republic of Congo

Its late at night and i was just browsing fco advise as a thing i do when i am bored and i couldn't help notice a huge change in the advice for DRC.

Usually the advice was DO NOT TRAVEL in some areas (Red) , and advise against all but essential travel (yellow) for the entire country.. yet when i looked today, most of the country has been changed to green (see our travel advise before travelling)

So what has changed in a country as troubled as the DRC, with a huge land mass now no longer being advised by the british FCO to only travel when its essential?

I think a lot of advisories need to be taken with a pinch of salt, but this one has just intrigued me as to why its been changed so quickly.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic … c-of-congo

#2 8-1-2016 8:44 AM

almond72
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster II
Nomad

Re: FCO Advice change on Democratic Republic of Congo

Basically if you made it out alive from the airport in Kinshasa and the city limits (yellow) with all your limbs intact, you are free to travel to the other bits of the country..... Until you encounter rebel/freedom fighters/lost military units from neighbouring countries in the red zones, then you are really really in deep trouble. lol

#3 9-12-2016 9:46 AM

3XPC
Couch Potato

Jake, would you be interested in checking out Trinf, it's a free app I have developed that links country risk ratings and recent security related incidents. It also draws info from the UKFCO. You can find the app in itunes and Android, and if interested, drop me an email from there and I will be able to set you up with a login to the main site, I would be very interested in your feedback....

#4 9-12-2016 11:21 AM

pilgrim68
Chris
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

jake0020 wrote:

Its late at night and i was just browsing fco advise as a thing i do when i am bored and i couldn't help notice a huge change in the advice for DRC.

Usually the advice was DO NOT TRAVEL in some areas (Red) , and advise against all but essential travel (yellow) for the entire country.. yet when i looked today, most of the country has been changed to green (see our travel advise before travelling)

So what has changed in a country as troubled as the DRC, with a huge land mass now no longer being advised by the british FCO to only travel when its essential?

I think a lot of advisories need to be taken with a pinch of salt, but this one has just intrigued me as to why its been changed so quickly.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic … c-of-congo

Reuters are reporting trouble on the border with South Sudan.
http://af.reuters.com/article/congoNews … mp;rpc=401

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer