#1 1-14-2016 11:45 AM

jake0020
Jake
Essex, England
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Bangladesh safety warnings

before september 2015 a foreigner hadn't been killed in bangladesh in over 10 years it seems, now with the italian aid worker shot dead in dhaka, the japanese citizen shot dead in rangpur, the attempted murder of an italian priest and the christian blogger murders im wonderig if the safety of western tourists is at risk or if these are targetted killings.

i wanted to visit early last year but with little travel experience i decided to wait, now i had plans for a month in march 2016 but not sure wether to go ahead or not, i know there is very little in the way of tourist infastructure and that most people are very friendly, which is part of what lures me to go, but  kind of wish i visited before these incidents started to happen..

i have an interest in countries less established as tourist destinations such as central asia and parts of west & central africa in the future so i hope i do make it to bangladesh eventually, just not sure wether to wait and see how the situation develops if at all.

what do you guys think?

Last edited by jake0020 (1-14-2016 11:46 AM)

#2 1-14-2016 2:57 PM

FK27
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: Bangladesh safety warnings

jake0020 wrote:

i have an interest in countries less established as tourist destinations such as central asia and parts of west & central africa in the future so i hope i do make it to bangladesh eventually, just not sure wether to wait and see how the situation develops if at all.

The French Ministry of Foreign Affairs has issued a travel alert for Bangladesh and some other parts of South East Asia. Orange and red areas should be avoided.
http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/local/ … -e6677.jpg

#3 1-14-2016 5:45 PM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Yeah, sometimes when you've decided to go to a place, that's when things happen and you start to have second thoughts. Honestly, nothing can be certain these days. Anything can happen. You really have to weigh the pros and cons and seek more opinions from locals/travelers/ministries if possible. For me, I guess there's no harm waiting slightly longer until things have cleared a little, or when you're feeling more confident about it.

#4 1-16-2016 2:57 AM

Apurva_N
Apurva
New Delhi, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

I don't think tourists are generally unsafe there these days, those were more like targeted killings. But if you can, no harm waiting a bit to see how things pan out.

#5 1-16-2016 8:52 AM

rajeev_ktm
Kathmandu, Nepal
Tourist

keep update yourself from news about Bangladesh because always some political unrest
news come out of country.But recently I have not heard any unrest news but follow
travel advisory.

#6 1-18-2016 8:27 AM

jake0020
Jake
Essex, England
Tourist

its somewhere i will travel eventually, but i think i will leave it until another trip to asia in the future, thanks for the advice.

#7 1-23-2016 9:06 PM

bensonryan
Ryan
Yokohama, Japan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

Statistically were are far more likely to be killed by natural disasters than terrorist attacks. Just be sure to keep your wits about you. I see religion as a theme pertaining to Bangladesh here so it may indicative of the "why" but that's just mere speculation.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer