#1 8-5-2015 1:26 AM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 4399

Talking about Off-topic (Games)

Some years ago the games used to be mixed in with the other Off-topic threads. I suggested to Eric they be separated and given their own topic, and thus the 'Off-topic (Games)' category was born. The motivation was that it would help create more challenging games if they had their own topic and not mixed in with other Off-topic posts. It doesn't seem to have turned out that way and many of the more interesting games have expired now, and new challenging ones don't seem to last long. I posted a previous thread discussing the games here back in 2013:

http://www.travbuddy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=51498

I don't necessarily wish to resurrect that discussion, thought there was some good feedback, but have a new discussion about the Off-topic (games). Which games currently open do you enjoy most and why? Which ones do you wish would die already? What types of new games would you like to see? Perhaps this can be a venue to revive the Games topic here, which in my opinion has got a bit stale. 'Countries Game' and 'City Game' versions got old for me years ago. I mostly only play the 'Word Association' game now and have a game I posted called Placename Songs (Around the World) which I participate in and keep a running list of countries visited in song. It's a way to experience music related to travel and participate in a virtual journey.

Anyway, the floor is open and thoughts/opinions/discussion is welcome...

 

#2 8-5-2015 12:13 PM

Zagnut66
Bill
Northern Virginia, United States
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 765

Re: Talking about Off-topic (Games)

The Word Association game is fun, it's the only game I participate in.  Though it's not really travel related.

The various country and city games seem to repeat themselves.

I should probably check out some of the others before commenting.

 

#3 8-6-2015 6:02 AM

Andy99
Andrew
Springfield, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 2423

Re: Talking about Off-topic (Games)

I like the Word Association game and Last City You Were At. I played the country games, but they became repetitious after a while. Sometimes I play the Name the Last Food You Ate. smile

Last edited by Andy99 (8-6-2015 6:02 AM)

 

#4 8-11-2015 1:53 AM

vulindlela
Jeremy
Indianapolis, Indiana
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 9804

Re: Talking about Off-topic (Games)

Sure, many are repetitive, but I will still play them anyways.
Most of these games were and still are "post padders" in order for people to gain the Vox Populi awards.

 

#5 8-16-2015 8:02 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 4399

Re: Talking about Off-topic (Games)

I would agree the post count is pretty meaningless here regarding actual 'contributions' to the forums. I suggested to Eric long ago that Off-topic (Games) be excluded from the post count to actually reflect helpful forum contributions. The games should be just for fun, not post-padding. With that said, maybe we can come up with some better games and perhaps the repetitive ones will meet a natural demise.

I liked the one game some years ago where a picture of a city was posted and members had to guess the name. The member who guessed correctly then posted a city picture, and so on... That was fun and challenging, but sometimes ran into difficulty for members who didn't know how to post photos in the forums, even though it's not really that difficult.

 

#6 8-16-2015 8:04 PM

vulindlela
Jeremy
Indianapolis, Indiana
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 9804

Re: Talking about Off-topic (Games)

spocklogic wrote:

I would agree the post count is pretty meaningless here regarding actual 'contributions' to the forums. I suggested to Eric long ago that Off-topic (Games) be excluded from the post count to actually reflect helpful forum contributions. The games should be just for fun, not post-padding. With that said, maybe we can come up with some better games and perhaps the repetitive ones will meet a natural demise.

I liked the one game some years ago where a picture of a city was posted and members had to guess the name. The member who guessed correctly then posted a city picture, and so on... That was fun and challenging, but sometimes ran into difficulty for members who didn't know how to post photos in the forums, even though it's not really that difficult.

While I agree, I also think very few people would get past the VP I or II awards like that.

 

#7 8-16-2015 8:33 PM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 4399

Re: Talking about Off-topic (Games)

I guess that's sort of the point and you can't tell who is a helpful forum contributor and who is just posting in the games. The VP awards should be difficult to get since it takes some effort to contribute helpful forum posts.

 

#8 8-17-2015 4:01 AM

swizzles
Victor
London, England
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer
Posts: 88

Re: Talking about Off-topic (Games)

spocklogic wrote:

I guess that's sort of the point and you can't tell who is a helpful forum contributor and who is just posting in the games. The VP awards should be difficult to get since it takes some effort to contribute helpful forum posts.

If you are an active forum member then surely you'd start to recognise those forum members who have been helpful?

As in I already know that Nolan, Fransglobal have been helpful on some of my posts (apologies to those that have been helpful but I didn't mention).

But I do agree that post padding should be limited in regards to the VP awards. Not that it makes any difference to me!

 

#9 8-17-2015 9:52 AM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 4399

Re: Talking about Off-topic (Games)

Thanks for your perspective, Victor, and you make a valid point. I suppose I was thinking more of the newer members who are not familiar with the TravBuddy forum participants here yet. Giving good advice or balanced opinion in the forums takes some practice too and those who do it regularly are usually the most reliable or sensible. The trouble with the forum post count is that a new member can't tell just from the post count whether it is a member practiced at giving advice or just someone who mostly posts in games, but only occasionally offers advice or opinions elsewhere.

 

#10 8-17-2015 8:31 PM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 3768

Re: Talking about Off-topic (Games)

spocklogic wrote:

Thanks for your perspective, Victor, and you make a valid point. I suppose I was thinking more of the newer members who are not familiar with the TravBuddy forum participants here yet. Giving good advice or balanced opinion in the forums takes some practice too and those who do it regularly are usually the most reliable or sensible. The trouble with the forum post count is that a new member can't tell just from the post count whether it is a member practiced at giving advice or just someone who mostly posts in games, but only occasionally offers advice or opinions elsewhere.

In other travel related sites they have levels of helpfulness and members who are considered Local experts or something similar (the names vary but the concept is the same with regard to finding the best people to ask locality or topic specific information).

Like if people were to be identified for their areas of passion or expertise, something similar to this:

Space and science "guru" - Brian W. (spocklogic)
Photography - guybooth, sarahsan
Hiking - Lauro, Nobuko (lotus28)
US roadtrips - Roger (X_Drive)
US History - Bill (zagnut66), Andy

and so on...

Of course they have to be willing to share their advice ...

 

#11 8-18-2015 4:04 AM

swizzles
Victor
London, England
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer
Posts: 88

Re: Talking about Off-topic (Games)

spocklogic wrote:

The trouble with the forum post count is that a new member can't tell just from the post count whether it is a member practiced at giving advice or just someone who mostly posts in games, but only occasionally offers advice or opinions elsewhere.

This is very true! I did like your suggestion the posting in off-topic threads should not count towards VP. It would definitely help newer members I think.

 

#12 8-19-2015 5:02 PM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 3768

Re: Talking about Off-topic (Games)

swizzles wrote:

spocklogic wrote:

The trouble with the forum post count is that a new member can't tell just from the post count whether it is a member practiced at giving advice or just someone who mostly posts in games, but only occasionally offers advice or opinions elsewhere.

This is very true! I did like your suggestion the posting in off-topic threads should not count towards VP. It would definitely help newer members I think.

I also notice that a fair number of people get the Vox Populi I award even though I haven't seen them in the main threads I participate in. And I don't go to the Off-Topic (Games) thread as much...

Isn't there a feature where TravBuddies vote reviews as helpful? So how about something similar for really helpful forum posts, as was suggested?

 
This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB