#1 10-29-2010 1:56 AM

wishful_nomad
haryanti
Penang, Malaysia
Couch Potato

Help needed - Vietnam Visa online application

I'm thinking of getting the Visa on Arrival for Vietnam. It seems I need to get an approval letter for this. From what I've read, the application is done online but I can't seem to find an official site. The ones I've seen are travel agencies, can they be trusted?

Can someone recommend a reputable site? In case anyone was wondering, I'm american.

smile

#2 10-29-2010 9:39 AM

Shomel122
Shomel
London, England
Sightseer

Re: Help needed - Vietnam Visa online application

hi,

I will soon traveling to vietnam and already got my approval letter. I used myvietnamvisa.com

It took about 3 days for me to get the approval letter by e-mail. I still need to have passport photo and visa stamp fee at hanio airport.

#3 10-29-2010 10:23 AM

wishful_nomad
haryanti
Penang, Malaysia
Couch Potato

Hiya Shomel..

Thanks for sharing the link smile. Definitely will give it a try. I guess the whole online application bit is pretty legit, eh

#4 11-2-2010 10:58 AM

Janice_xxx
Janice
Chester, England
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer

Make sure you print off ALL the attachments from the email, I thought the letter was enough as it included all the dates etc, but they refused to let me in at Hanoi airport!

Eventually they agreed to let me in after charging me more money and taking more photos, so beware!!

#5 11-4-2010 2:04 PM

mickey2010
Couch Potato

I had posted this earlier on another travel site, but since the OP is quite recent, I thought I would share it here as well.

This was my experience with myvietnamvisa.

Just got back from Ho Chi Minh city...stayed there from 10/25 until 10/29/2010 .
This was my first trip to Vietnam.

Initially I was going to get my Visa from the Vietnamese Consulate in San Francisco, CA.
But I had a rather strange experience with them(the consulate).
First off, I called them at 8:30am Pacific time, and repeatedly got an automated "Out for lunch...call back later" message.
After a couple hours someone finally picked up the phone with a "Hello?"...not even a "good morning".
He then insisted that I mail them my US passport (with $70), and it would be "taken care of, no problem."

When I questioned the guy about how long the Consulate would have my passport, he replied to just send a photocopy instead. I found this strange because the Consulate website specifically asks for an original passport.
This gentleman seemed rather sketchy because he would not give me his last name over the phone, even when I stated it was just for my records.

Later that evening I went online to myvietnamvisa and ordered their "Visa on Arrival".

I paid $20, plus $10 for expedited service.

Received the confirmation email and the downloadable forms (in .pdf) immediately the next day.

I filled these forms out beforehand, and when I got to the Ho CHi Minh city airport(Tan Son Nhat), all I had to do (once in the terminal) was turn left to get to the "Visa on Arrival" office.

Paid the $25 stamping fee and within 10 minutes everything was done!

Very glad I went thru myvietnamvisa, rather than the San Francisco consulate.

Hope this information helps.

M.P.
California,USA

Last edited by mickey2010 (11-4-2010 2:09 PM)

#6 11-5-2010 9:06 PM

seangee
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

im american and just got my visa at the Vietnamese embassy in Bangkok, no problems, it only took a couple of days and seemed easier then the whole online thing

#7 11-11-2010 3:37 AM

oxangu2
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

seangee wrote:

im american and just got my visa at the Vietnamese embassy in Bangkok, no problems, it only took a couple of days and seemed easier then the whole online thing

how much for visa fee if foreigner requested  from Vietnam embassy in BKK

#8 1-3-2011 2:59 AM

wishful_nomad
haryanti
Penang, Malaysia
Couch Potato

so just got back from my trip in hanoi yesterday, had a blast. also had no problem with the visa on arrival, getting the approval letter from myvietnamvisa.com was convenient and hassle-free. thanks for the replies and tips everyone, greatly appreciate it! smile

#9 1-13-2011 12:37 AM

raovatlk
Couch Potato

oxangu2 wrote:

seangee wrote:

how much for visa fee if foreigner requested  from Vietnam embassy in BKK

You can view more fee here : vietnam-immigration.org.vn/visa-for-vietnam/apply-visa-online

#10 1-14-2011 7:18 PM

Rasheeed
Ban Lung, Cambodia
Sightseer

Depends on where your coming from to figure out the best way. If you are going through a neighboring country it is really easy to get the visa out here. Takes 1 day in Phnom Penh eg. And you don't have to worry about setting your visa dates too far in advance in case your plans change.

'sheeed

#11 1-16-2011 1:51 PM

enso
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

mickey2010 wrote:

I had posted this earlier on another travel site, but since the OP is quite recent, I thought I would share it here as well.

This was my experience with myvietnamvisa.

Just got back from Ho Chi Minh city...stayed there from 10/25 until 10/29/2010 .
This was my first trip to Vietnam.

Initially I was going to get my Visa from the Vietnamese Consulate in San Francisco, CA.
But I had a rather strange experience with them(the consulate).
First off, I called them at 8:30am Pacific time, and repeatedly got an automated "Out for lunch...call back later" message.
After a couple hours someone finally picked up the phone with a "Hello?"...not even a "good morning".
He then insisted that I mail them my US passport (with $70), and it would be "taken care of, no problem."

When I questioned the guy about how long the Consulate would have my passport, he replied to just send a photocopy instead. I found this strange because the Consulate website specifically asks for an original passport.
This gentleman seemed rather sketchy because he would not give me his last name over the phone, even when I stated it was just for my records.

Later that evening I went online to myvietnamvisa and ordered their "Visa on Arrival".

I paid $20, plus $10 for expedited service.

Received the confirmation email and the downloadable forms (in .pdf) immediately the next day.

I filled these forms out beforehand, and when I got to the Ho CHi Minh city airport(Tan Son Nhat), all I had to do (once in the terminal) was turn left to get to the "Visa on Arrival" office.

Paid the $25 stamping fee and within 10 minutes everything was done!

Very glad I went thru myvietnamvisa, rather than the San Francisco consulate.

Hope this information helps.

M.P.
California,USA

im with you on the phone calls to these places.... they seem to be terribly understaffed is the problem i think. the thai one was run by a volunteer. anyway... my point ws gonna be i have about 100% more luck just biting the bullet and taking the trip in person to these, especially when outside of the US (but inside as well).

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer