#1 1-22-2010 9:19 AM

Buon Ma Thuot, Vietnam
Award: Critic IIAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 977

Posting: Helping others help you

Posting header presentation can help others help you. Everyone has time constraints these days so using helpful Subject formats might well solicit quicker responses.

Since specific countries on this web site are sectioned off into world regions, I suggest the lead word be a country.

The next word/s should be either a place name or a country specific item.

Lastly, the brief nature of the inquiry.

For example:
VietNam: Visa requirements

Thailand: Phuket: Recommended hotels

Packing: How do you squeeze everything in?

Opinion: What is your favourite country?

Trying to use the right forum also helps. I see that many initial posts posts get misplaced which (1) Reduces the chance getting an answer or slows responses; (2) Increases the workload of moderators.

If you have a question about Kapuskasing, Ontario put it in North America - not Travel Chat.

Personally, I visit fora (plural of forums) instead of playing games whilst I have idle moments during travel or work. I scan specific 'rooms' and read questions where the Subject suggests I might be able to give useful input.

After that I might, time permitting, revisit rooms and look at Subjects that have a slight hint of what they seek. Then, finally, I look at all the zero reply items.

The rules specify certain typing rules (no caps, no weird stuff) but I would add spelling to the best of your ability helps, too. As someone who has been on presentation training I can confirm a spelling mistake can distract from the message content. Notwithstanding texting and Twit message protocols, presentation also helps readability in chat rooms.

Personally, my answers are crafted with three audiences in mind: (a) The inquirer; (b) The casual browser and (3) Search engines. The latter depend on correct spelling to properly deliver the widest selection of links.

Thanks for your time. Do you have any thoughts?

#2 1-22-2010 10:02 AM

canuck_downunder05
Carissa
Red Deer, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 894

Re: Posting: Helping others help you

Couldn't agree more...that's my thoughts...and because helping others, helps me wink

#3 1-22-2010 12:26 PM

Kramerdude
Dan
Dayton, Ohio
Moderator
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1068

Re: Posting: Helping others help you

Excellent post, Jay.  Going to Sticky this for a bit.

#4 1-30-2010 6:47 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Globetrotter
Posts: 17590

Re: Posting: Helping others help you

Speaking personally rather than as moderator,  I agree with Jay's points.

Again speaking personally, I would suggest rather than posting straight away, have a look through this site and on Wikitravel. There are a lot of posts of the type 'I'm going to Thailand, what's interesting there?' There is already tons of information on this site on this subject and also on Wikipedia and on Wikitravel. Maybe have a look at a guidebook too. Also, what's interesting depends on the person, so it might help to specify what you are interested in seeing or doing so that people with similar interests can guide you.

There a lot of posts of the type 'I'm looking for cheap flights to (insert destination) . Does anybody have any suggestions?' As there are people on this site from all over the world, it would help to specify from where you like to depart.

If you are already friends or  in contact with travbuddies in your destination, why not contact them for advice.

Also, why not write a blog with some tips for your hometown, country  that would be useful for travellers to your place.

I am always much more willing to help somebody on this site who I can see is active and contributing.

#5 2-1-2010 12:35 AM

amy
Murgatroyd
Perth, Australia
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 912

Re: Posting: Helping others help you

Jay, I agree - but I doubt the people this is directed at will stop to read this! hmm

#6 2-1-2010 6:34 PM

mslellen
Ellen
Flushing, Michigan
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 153

Thanks for the tips.

As a new user, I can tell you there  is a learning curve to the sight.

I know I have already made some of the errors that you've pointed out. For instance, is there any way a forum topic can be moved to the proper category after it has posted? I've already figured out how to edit the header presentation.

A forum specifically for sight help would be good for new users.  Perhaps there is one, and I just haven't found it yet.

#7 2-1-2010 7:20 PM

montecarlostar
Carlos
Ruston, Louisiana
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 2378

Re: Posting: Helping others help you

It's a nice suggestion, but I think that for such a thing to take place it would need to be enforced by the designers of the page, because as long as the title format is open, people will pretty much post whatever they like.

Last edited by montecarlostar (2-1-2010 7:21 PM)

#8 2-1-2010 8:01 PM

Africancrab
Harriet
Tucson, Arizona
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer VAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1354

Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 1068

mslellen wrote:

Thanks for the tips.

As a new user, I can tell you there  is a learning curve to the sight.

Ellen, there are a few of us on the boards who are moderators and can move and edit things around if necessary.  You could either contact us directly or leave a message in the Help forum and someone will read it and take action.

#10 2-27-2010 6:08 PM

christine4321
St. Catharines, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 860

nathan85 wrote:

JaitcH wrote:

Do you have any thoughts?

Yes. Yes I do.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Couch Potato
Posts: 1

Re: Posting: Helping others help you

I was wondering if I could post a link to a questionnaire I'm carrying out for my final year research project on Green holidays and environmentally friendly travel? It is definitely travel related as I would like opinions from tourists and avid travellers.

Would it be appropriate under Travel Chat? It is not destination specific.

#12 3-15-2010 8:37 PM

JaitcH
Jay
Buon Ma Thuot, Vietnam
Award: Critic IIAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 977

rtoyad wrote:

Would it be appropriate under Travel Chat? It is not destination specific.

Go ahead and try!

#13 3-26-2010 3:21 PM

SmileyGirl
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer
Posts: 77

Re: Posting: Helping others help you

Ok, this is not exactly a posting question, but I am new and people keep smiling at me and I cant figure out how to smile back. Can you tell me how I do this?

#14 3-26-2010 3:29 PM

seraphimkarlien
Antwerp, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 778

Re: Posting: Helping others help you

Just go to their profile page, and click on smile (above the messages)

#15 4-5-2010 10:04 PM

deepakshrma
Deepak
New Delhi, India
Couch Potato
Posts: 10

Re: Posting: Helping others help you

If you have Delhi India in your itenerary then http://asklocal.blogspot.com/ can be useful

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer