#1 3-26-2018 2:39 PM

Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Backup of TravBuddy content - Extended guidance for members

It was nice of Eric to provide the zipped backup file. While useful, the blogs are just text with no formatting. There is another way if you want something with more format and organization to it, and while still text, it is more readable, and contains titles & dates. This is a so-called "printable" format.

Other ways are to do a "save as" with format "web page, complete" or "html only" from the browser. The former captures everything (including thumbnail photos, icons and such). The later gets all the text info. Both are in html format and can be viewed in a browser whether online or offline (a personal copy)

I cover these methods in my TravBuddy-102 guide, Part 2:
Backing up reviews and blogs

A third way is the use of wget and/or HTTrack, which is (in principle) capable of capturing web pages in some entirety with all the links and photos, rather like having a personal, self-contained copy of your pages. TravBuddy members Larry (Irecht) and myself (spocklogic) have created some guides for making copies of our TravBuddy webpages for offline browsing. Such so-called "clones" will allow members to enjoy their travel pages as local website copies on their computers after TravBuddy closes. See relevant posts below (#10 & #11)

Last edited by spocklogic (4-10-2018 12:30 AM)

#2 4-1-2018 9:07 PM

Re: Backup of TravBuddy content - Extended guidance for members

Some progress is being made in coming up with a method to make a clone of our profile page with associated blogs and reviews all linked together for a personal off-line copy of travel content in the TravBuddy pages style. I've been working on this during the last week, and also heard from TB member lrecht (Larry) recently that he was working on it also. We will try to put our ideas together and present a method(s) to the community for doing this. Stay tuned...

#3 4-1-2018 9:25 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Posts: 17685

Re: Backup of TravBuddy content - Extended guidance for members

That would be great, Brian. Thanks.

#4 4-1-2018 10:39 PM

Lupobianco
Andy
Melbourne, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 506

Re: Backup of TravBuddy content - Extended guidance for members

Much appreciated, Brian.  Thank you.

#5 4-2-2018 4:55 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1391

Excellent, please keep us posted on the name of the new website

#7 4-2-2018 10:34 AM

victor7878 wrote:

Excellent, please keep us posted on the name of the new website

It's not a new website per se, Victor, but a clone (replica) of our profile/blog/review pages here on TravBuddy. A personal copy that operates like TravBuddy, but can be used offline to navigate the pages, meaning that once members have their own copy, it will still work once TravBuddy is gone for browsing ones own travel content in the TravBuddy pages style.

#8 4-2-2018 2:17 PM

jeminigirl
Allie
Merseyside, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 364

Thanks Brian smile

#9 4-3-2018 8:04 AM

Newport Beach, California
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

spocklogic wrote:

Just starting a quick documentation blog on using HTTrack to download blogs and reviews.  Please note that this will be a work in progress and probably take several days to complete however if you are even vaguely technical, you should be able to download and install the software and configure it to create a local copy of your blogs and reviews.

#10 4-7-2018 11:41 AM

Re: Backup of TravBuddy content - Extended guidance for members

I posted a blog about downloading your Travbuddy Blogs and Reviews with help from SpockLogic (Brian).  This uses a website downloader to download your data pretty much as you see it on Travbuddy including the layout and photos (but not the big ones).  I tried to quickly create somewhat thorough instructions (please let me know if there are errors before TB shuts down in a few weeks).

The blog is at http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/145351/

Best of luck to everybody!

#11 4-7-2018 3:03 PM

It's Prime Time for cloning our travel pages

Larry has posted his TB blog guide called Downloading Travbuddy Data using software called HTTrack.

I have some information to share as well in the form of guides for TB members.
Two methods to explore:
(1) HTTrack - download my guides here: TB-HTTrack Guides
(2) wget - download my guides here: TB-wget Guides

The guides for HTTrack by Larry and myself can be used as companion documents. My documents focus on execution of the steps, while Larry's does that also, but has more narrative of the steps that is useful.

My guides for cloning TB with wget are available for Apple/MAC and Windows,though the Apple/MAC is more comprehensive. Windows users and should look at the Apple/MAC guide along with the Windows guide as many basics are similar between MAC/PC OS, and just uses versions of the software that are OS specific. They run in MAC Terminal and Windows Command terminal editors, respectively. You will see when you download and have a look at them.

I spent considerable time running diagnostic tests to refine the "codes" for what to capture and making the guides as clear as possible, so I do hope some members find it useful and have success cloning their own travel pages for offline browsing when TravBuddy closes its doors.

Personally, I think wget captures much more that HTTrack, maybe too much perhaps (not necessarily a bad thing), but does run in a UNIX terminal window (no GUI interface), so there's a learning curve there. HTTrack captures an adequate amount of material, though it does miss some material also, but is easier to use in Windows with the GUI interface. Try them both and you have 2 weeks before Doomsday wink

Larry and I will do our best to answer questions or troubleshoot if we can. \\// ~spocklogic

#12 4-7-2018 10:00 PM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1101

Re: Backup of TravBuddy content - Extended guidance for members

Does that mean we have to "save as" every single journal including the "sub topics" individually?

#13 4-7-2018 11:11 PM

trippin_jen wrote:

No, HTtrack and wget are software programs that copy websites and will collect the files from the TravBuddy site for you. It is an automated process once the proper code for the rules of what to collect is entered. When the software finishes collecting files, it changes all the links so they are local on your computer, not on the internet. So, you get a clone (website copy) of the webpages that doesn't need the online content anymore because it is now on your computer. Hence you can browse it offline just the way TravBuddy works, only it's your own personal copy. Make sense?

#14 4-8-2018 7:12 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Posts: 17685

Re: Backup of TravBuddy content - Extended guidance for members

Do these work on Android? smile

#15 4-8-2018 1:14 PM

Re: Backup of TravBuddy content - Extended guidance for members

There appears to be an HTTrack Website Copier 3.49.02.63 APK for Android. I can't vouch for it, but it appears to be by the same author (Xavier Roche) as the Windows version. I'll give you the link I found, but use your own experience in scrutiny when downloading/using apps. The file does download (I checked that) with the filename: "com.httrack.android.3.49.02.63.apk" and the size is 2.8 MB. Beyond that, I can not say, as I do not have an Android device. Here's the link with options to (1) Download from APK20 and (2) Install app from google play. Let us know if you try it.

#16 4-8-2018 2:36 PM

Re: Backup of TravBuddy content - Extended guidance for members

Thanks for posting the guides Brian!  One question, was your wget script able to get the larger images when drilling into a photo?

spocklogic wrote:

It's Prime Time for cloning our travel pages

I have some information to share as well in the form of guides for TB members.
Two methods to explore:
(1) HTTrack - download my guides here: TB-HTTrack Guides
(2) wget - download my guides here: TB-wget Guides

#17 4-8-2018 2:53 PM

lrecht wrote:

Larry

Indeed so, Larry, and pulled down almost everything I could possibly want and more (about 12GB of content). I can navigate quite far and afield in my desktop wget clone (very impressive). Only thing it doesn't do is show the full photos in the pup-up window. I believe this is because I can't get a php code called "photos_display.php". If you know how to get that off the site we may be able to get the pop-up windows working, but TravBuddy seems sensitive to crawls trying to touch php files. I have not been able to locate where this code sits on the site, which doesn't help. My last resort is to ask Eric where I can get it or if he will tell us how it works and give the code to us for trying to implement it. I'll send you an email on how I think it works, but won't post that here as it's techie talk. Overall, have to say I like wget better than HTTrack for what it pulls down. Takes time and memory though...

#18 4-10-2018 2:44 PM

Re: Backup of TravBuddy content - Extended guidance for members

I just finished my second test run of wget, and it is working great! I can browse quite extensively with local website copy on my computer - Just like the real thing. Here are the stats on the crawl collecting the files:

Total wall clock time: 1d 19h 20m 41s
Downloaded: 548141 files, 12G in 6h 0m 57s (571 KB/s)
Converted links in 76943 files in 163 seconds.

The wall clock time and download time are different because I have a wait=0.1 seconds between calls to retrieve data. Trying to be gentle with the server to avoid the 500 server not available error that TravBuddy is sensitive to if one tries to pull down the files too quickly (some rate limit). I am currently running with a wait=0.001 seconds next and try to get the wall clock time down some if the TravBuddy server will let me. If not, then I will try wait=0.05 seconds for some happy medium and settle on that for a 1d (<24 hour) download.

#19 4-10-2018 2:50 PM

nolan
Nolan
Philippines
Posts: 3881

Re: Backup of TravBuddy content - Extended guidance for members

Brian - I assume that because the TravBuddy backup files don't include html formatting, the backup using HTTrack will be much bigger? Using wget it seems your 12GB is way more (don't know if 2x or 3x more) than the expected TB backup (I know you're one of the gigabyte folks).

So if my backup file is about 700MB, what do you think would be the final size for HTTrack? I aborted my initial backup process as I want to make sure I have enough drive space or if I need to put it on a separate drive.

Cheers

#20 4-10-2018 5:01 PM

Two issues, Nolan:
(1) wget grabs too much perhaps
(2) HTTrack does not grab enough

My backup file from Eric is 3.8 GB, but it does not include the thumb and bigthumb photos, only the full size photos. So, I have 25K photos. Let's say my full photos are 150K each, bigthumbs at 20K each and thumbs at 5K each, then, 25000*(150)=3.75 GB for full size photos. You have 5300 photos, so 5300*150 = 795 MB. This is just how to estimate as most of the memory is big photos.

Now, there will be the thumb photos and bigthumb photos as well as all the html files. For instance, my thumb & bigthumb may come to another 625 MB, but yours only 133 MB.

With all that said, what wget scoops up consists of many friend profile pages as well with some accessory photos. My estimates are that these extra photos constitute around 5-6 GB of the wget capture, at least in my case with a level=4 crawl.  These can be tossed if one wishes. All photos have form ####_####.jpg, where the first set of #### is your TravBuddy user id. Say your id is 1234567, then all your photos are 1234567_####.jpg.

It's up to individuals, but better to have too much than not enough. You can always toss out what you don't want later, but can never get back what you don't have. Something nice about having a number of friends profile pages and some of their travel content too. Anyway, these days if you don't have 15 GB of free disk space, it's time for a new computer or a portable drive. I can blow through 15 GB on photos from 1 trip.

If I had to guess at the size of your wget download, I would say 3GB less than mine, or 9GB. You will still pick up many friend profiles and some of their content, but will get all of yours for sure. With HTTrack, I have found it is missing quite a lot with our current scan rules. If you want something stripped down to the bare bones, with some stuff pages possibly missing, then HTTrack is fine. My HTTrack download was only 200 MB. Some improvement of the HTTrack scan rules are still needed I think. Larry was focusing on HTTrack and myself on wget, though I have a former intern of mine working on HTTrack also when he can, but has school to focus on mostly, but having fun playing around with it.

Longish answer to your question, but useful info for others wanting a clone of their own!

#21 4-11-2018 1:18 PM

Re: Backup of TravBuddy content - Extended guidance for members

I assisted Keiko (KeikoCreative) last night with getting her wget copy up and running. In the process, I realized I left out a step in the TB-wget-guide-PC.pdf document. It related to typing in wget.exe in the terminal window to install it before using wget commands. It is corrected now, so if you have downloaded the guide before April 11, then you should download the new one. Overall, the process may seem difficult or intimidating using the terminal window, but it's really not, and I think Keiko would agree now that she was able to do it. I can assist others if you want to try a wget run.

Last edited by spocklogic (4-11-2018 1:21 PM)

#22 4-12-2018 7:20 PM

Re: Backup of TravBuddy content - Extended guidance for members

I wrote an additional document to offer more clarification on the TravBuddy Web Capture. Please read the document "tb-web-capture.pdf" and/or share it with friends. Here is the link to that pdf:

This should answer questions/concerns about the web capture and discusses some details on the methods of wget versus HTTrack, with rationale of why I am recommending wget over HTTrack for now.

#23 4-15-2018 1:59 PM

portia
portia
Santa Cruz, California
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Sightseer
Posts: 75

Re: Backup of TravBuddy content - Extended guidance for members

thanks Larry and Brian for making this possible. Not easy I would say. I used to be a sw engineer and I doubt most people on the Mac (like I am) are going to be able to do all the installs and configs. But I am downloading Xcode now and will try to see if I can get this working for me.

#24 4-15-2018 3:51 PM

portia wrote:

I originally installed wget 1.17 some years ago on my MAC requiring Xcode and brew, but later updated to wget 1.18 with the rudix package (http://rudix.org/packages/wget.html) which doesn't need Xcode I think. Some PC Windows users are having trouble installing/using it (https://eternallybored.org/misc/wget/). If you have experience as sw engineer, I'm sure you can do it, Portia. My wget scan rule code took some trial and error to refine it, but it will capture everything needed related to your profile content, but by the nature of the way the TravBuddy directory is set up, it will capture pieces of other member profiles. Nothing I can do about that. If you are successful, Portia, do try to help other members out also if you can. I can use all the help other members can offer in seeing members are able to capture their profile webpages.

Last edited by spocklogic (4-15-2018 4:10 PM)

#25 4-15-2018 4:00 PM

Re: Backup of TravBuddy content - Extended guidance for members

UPDATE on using HTTrack - I found another hurdle in my tests of HTTrack and it apparently aborts at 100K links. There is a way around this, by changing Max links to 1 million (1000000). I have a refined scan code also that should do the job (mostly I hope). My last test aborted at 100K links, but looked like it was getting there. I don't have time for another test with the increased link limit now. I have to run my own final wget scan for my profile, and after that may have time to fully test the HTTrack. The HTTrack has turned out to be more of a pain in the arse than wget, at least for me. Anyway, See my latest HTTrack guide and code in my google drive downloads (https://tinyurl.com/tb-httrack). Follow ALL the instructions there, and hopefully no more issues with this Windows software. I've done the best I can with it, though still prefer wget over HTTrack if member can get that working. Report your success stories here...

Last edited by spocklogic (4-15-2018 4:13 PM)

Board footer