#1 3-22-2018 5:10 PM

lauro
Germany
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

TRAVBUDDY SHUTTING DOWN

i was so SCHOCKED to see this message!

its been 11 years since i've been a member and contributed to this site sad i have met so many wonderful friends for life in this travel website and actually met and travelled with one of the founders - david.

i just dont know what to say! im just at loss for words!

#2 3-22-2018 5:19 PM

lauro
Germany
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Re: TRAVBUDDY SHUTTING DOWN

its been a heck of 11 years! travbuddy was my inspiration to get out of box and the mundane life and explore parts of the world with the blogs ive read here. its just too sad, a part of my life had just died.

#3 3-22-2018 5:52 PM

KarinaKalinka
Karina
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Lauro are you on the facebook TB group? If not, please join

#4 3-22-2018 6:01 PM

jerseygirl67
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

I just got the email...I cannot believe that they are shut... ting down.  Very sad.  I've met some of the best people here, truly great souls, had fun at meet ups.  I wish Eric and David the best and thank you for having created this site!!!

#5 3-22-2018 6:02 PM

jerseygirl67
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

KarinaKalinka wrote:

Where is the FB page?

#6 3-22-2018 6:05 PM

thomasj
Thomas
Mississauga, Canada
Couch Potato

Is there a somewhat 'official' FB group for all of TB peeps?  I've always just seen TB meetups groups...

#7 3-22-2018 6:19 PM

lauro
Germany
Explorer

jerseygirl67 wrote:

KarinaKalinka wrote:

Where is the FB page?

can you please put the FB page link here? so anyone nostalgic of TB could access it? thanks so much!

#8 3-22-2018 6:24 PM

itravel1
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3354687 … ;ref=notif

its a secret group so I believe you have to have a FB friend add you to it and then it will be approved by admin

Last edited by itravel1 (3-22-2018 6:26 PM)

#9 3-22-2018 6:29 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Very sad news but not a shock I guess at this stage....

#10 3-22-2018 6:36 PM

aelder2259
Anita
Seattle, Washington
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

Wow, my spidey sense must have been twitching last week, because I started moving all my blog posts over to my own blog on my own domain. So glad I got a jump on it!

#11 3-22-2018 7:08 PM

jerseygirl67
Wanderer

itravel1 wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/335468716475710/permalink/1845184032170830/?comment_id=1845238798832020&notif_id=1521767254327625&notif_t=group_comment_reply&ref=notif

its a secret group so I believe you have to have a FB friend add you to it and then it will be approved by admin

Yes, that link said not content. I'd love to be added.  Dana Civitano-Hendrickson on FB

#12 3-22-2018 7:18 PM

skippyed
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy Happy
Couch Potato

Why is it shutting down when it is so popular?

#13 3-22-2018 7:39 PM

lauro
Germany
Explorer

what i like about TB is that writing travel blogs and journals are easy - pre-set settings plus its like a diary of a whole trip - with day to day activities and photos of the day of travel.

im gonna miss this site - all the free time i had (even at work when im bored) i update and write new journals of my trips. all the fun people i met and travelled and became lifelong friends, best friends and soulmates.

i wish david and eric and their mom portia, all the luck in the world for their new and upcoming endeavors. its been a great 11 years!  maybe its time to open up new chapters in life.

shalom.

#14 3-22-2018 7:41 PM

slayerspike
Blair
Melbourne, Australia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

Can't say I am surprised. Site needs an overhaul and the admin don't seem interested in doing that themselves or outsourcing to any of the many capable people who use the site.

#15 3-22-2018 7:45 PM

itravel1
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

jerseygirl67 wrote:

itravel1 wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/335468716475710/permalink/1845184032170830/?comment_id=1845238798832020&notif_id=1521767254327625&notif_t=group_comment_reply&ref=notif

Yes, that link said not content. I'd love to be added.  Dana Civitano-Hendrickson on FB

Your facebook doesn't allow for friend requests

#16 3-22-2018 8:01 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

HELP- I can't get my data to download.  What am I doing wrong?

#17 3-22-2018 8:02 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

euphemy wrote:

The only thing I'm miffed about is they are only giving us hours to preserve our blogs. Less than a day!

I thought it said April 23?

#18 3-22-2018 8:04 PM

slayerspike
Blair
Melbourne, Australia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

grandmar wrote:

HELP- I can't get my data to download.  What am I doing wrong?

Go to http://www.travbuddy.com/farewell.php and click the Download Backup File link at the bottom.

It downloads all your blogs and reviews and photos associated with blogs...

Last edited by slayerspike (3-22-2018 8:06 PM)

#19 3-22-2018 8:21 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Nomad

Is there any indication that it is finished?  When I look it the file is empty

#20 3-22-2018 8:39 PM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Tourist

grandmar wrote:

Is there any indication that it is finished?  When I look it the file is empty

I just did it and worked fine. Did you just click the download link or right click and "save link as"?

I right clicked and saved the folder to my desktop. It's a zip file and when you go in you should see 2 folders, reviews and trips.  The trip folder will contain your blogs. The photos should all be there and the blogs will just be a text file (no formatting).

#21 3-22-2018 8:57 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Nomad

I tried to right click but I did not know what I should save.  I will try with Save Link

#22 3-22-2018 9:01 PM

Eric
Eric
Honolulu, Hawaii
Administrator
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Hi RosalieAnn - following Nicole's directions listed above (Right click the download link and "Save Link As...") should work, but it looks like your backup file is quite large (600MB+) so it may take some time to download. I'm not sure what browser you are using, but there should be some indicator of download status and estimated time after you initiate the download.

Just tested and I can confirm that the file opens correctly after fully downloading.

#23 3-22-2018 9:02 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Nomad

I get an empty zip folder with no files in it.  Or if I get files into the zip folder I can't open them.  It asks if I want to open or save, and if I say open, it doesn't open. If I save and then ask it to open, it still doesn't open

Last edited by grandmar (3-22-2018 9:12 PM)

#24 3-22-2018 9:02 PM

Eric
Eric
Honolulu, Hawaii
Administrator
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

grandmar wrote:

euphemy wrote:

The only thing I'm miffed about is they are only giving us hours to preserve our blogs. Less than a day!

I thought it said April 23?

Yes, April 23rd

#25 3-22-2018 9:39 PM

itravel1
Explorer

I just hit 'download backup file' and 5 minutes later it was complete.  roughly 600 mb

Board footer