#1 2-7-2018 5:55 PM

adrian43
Couch Potato

Exploring Thai cuisine on trip. Suggestions?

I’m going to Thailand soon for a two week-long vacation. I chose the place because of a friend’s recommendation after going there for some kind of romance tour (?). I’ll be visiting Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Pattaya for about four days each give or take. Part of my plan is to explore Thai cuisine while i'm in the country.

Thai food was always recommended by others and being in the place is just the perfect opportunity that I can’t pass. I need suggestions where to go and what to eat. I’ve heard about the Tom Yum and Pad Thai, but I still need more suggestions on what else to eat. Will really appreciate your replies. Thanks

#2 2-7-2018 11:31 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Re: Exploring Thai cuisine on trip. Suggestions?

The simplest advice is to wander around, preferably away from the Kho San Road, and see what the locals are queuing up for.  It's not a quick solution, but it's the best way to see what's genuinely popular and attracting people who know what they're doing.  Look for lines, obvious high turnover, little plastic seats (all good Asian street food seems to involve seating areas with very tiny little plastic seats...) and an absence of back packs in the queue.  And be aware some of it will blow the roof of your mouth off - it'll be worth it!

#3 2-8-2018 12:51 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

I've seen some reports that Bangkok authorities have been cracking down on street food. Not sure what current situation is but defintely try if you can.

Not sure you'll have a typical Thai experience if you go to Pattaya. If you're going to Chiang Mai, you could try Chiang Rai too. Or Ayutthaya and Sukhothai along the way.

I have moved this thread to Asia NE&SE section of the forum.

#4 2-8-2018 1:36 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

fransglobal wrote:

I've seen some reports that Bangkok authorities have been cracking down on street food. Not sure what current situation is but defintely try if you can.

Not sure you'll have a typical Thai experience if you go to Pattaya. If you're going to Chiang Mai, you could try Chiang Rai too. Or Ayutthaya and Sukhothai along the way.

I have moved this thread to Asia NE&SE section of the forum.

Was recently in Bangkok, most of the streetfood stalls are still there, only in some places they have been closed (most o the cheaper apartments don’t have kitchens).
Pattaya has a lot of western restaurants but it is now one of the biggest towns in Thailand and Thais want their street food and not expensive western food most of it not particularly good. But Sukhothai and Chiangmai are definitely good for Thai food.

#5 2-8-2018 2:36 AM

mdavyd10
Matt
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Couch Potato

Was in Bangkok and Phuket in November.
Street food was awesome. And yep, try what locals eat.
Especially loved Tom Yum Goong, Tom Kha Kai and Chicken with Cashew Nuts

#6 2-8-2018 4:30 AM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

When are you going to Thailand? We have a TravBuddy meetup from April 6th-8th. If you're around during that time, please do join us.

Details on the meetup here http://www.travbuddy.com/meet-up/view.php?id=1614

Re food, best to get the opinion of highly esteemed Thai chef, Jantima (TravChef). smile

#7 2-8-2018 5:45 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

I found that the food courts in shopping malls had a pretty decent variety of stuff to try.

#8 2-8-2018 9:43 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

I love Thai food and I think everything is delicious from the high end restaurants to the street food.

If you have time, go to Sogo department store food hall which located at the basement (in Bangkok). You can see and try many different food there.

#9 2-8-2018 3:07 PM

adrian43
Couch Potato

Hey guys, thank you all so much for your responses and adice! I'll definitely look into all of these. Thanks again!

#10 2-9-2018 1:47 AM

chrisphh
Angella
Sightseer

Thai food is amazing, personally, instead of visiting restaurants, you should spend time for enjoying Thai street foods which perhaps get more experiences and feeling

#11 2-9-2018 5:30 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Thailand is known for its street foods, you'll be overwhelmed. Just be sure is freshly cooked

Board footer