#1 1-8-2018 12:32 PM

Jakarta, Indonesia
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 694

Would you still fly if you fell ill in this situation?

This is the scenario:

You bought an inflexible, non-refundable, uninsured US$600 round-trip economy class ticket to an international destination. The flight is ~10 hours each way. Hotels for 14 nights have been booked but are fully refundable, so no loss for cancellation. This trip is on your own pace. The 10 days annual leave you requested for this 14 day trip could be re-scheduled to future dates without penalty.

Would you still fly if you fell ill with (one of):
1. Diarrhoea
2. Flu
3. Fever
4. Migraine

You expect to be well 3 days after arriving at your destination.

Although it has never happened to me so far, I have pondered about this situation.
I would still fly in the 1, 2 or 3 scenario as the symptoms can be alleviated with medication and/or diet.

In situation 4, I would most likely swallow the US$600 loss as I would need to be bedridden on the first 3 days. However, if I had plans to travel with a friend for these 14 days, sharing room costs of 14 nights, I would try my best to stick to my promise.

#2 1-8-2018 1:42 PM

Belgium
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I

Re: Would you still fly if you fell ill in this situation?

It hasn't happened to me yet, however I mostly stressout the last few days before my departure due to my job which cause me hell of a headache and over fatigue. I'm so lucky to have a doctor in family who help me prescribe with medication

To answer the question: I would fly and take my medications with me. A trip that I’m looking for so long, I would be disappointed if I’m not going, just hoping to get better when I arrived to my destination if not, I visit a doctor

Last edited by shavy (1-9-2018 12:03 AM)

#3 1-8-2018 2:45 PM

Re: Would you still fly if you fell ill in this situation?

If you fly with the flu, you endanger all the other people that you come into contact with.  I would not do it and I would hope other people would not endanger my health in that way   I missed out on a chance to do one of my bucket list items (snorkel the Great Barrier Reef) because some of the Australians on the ship had the flu and gave it to me.  It wasn't bad for them-they weren't that sick, but I had no immunity to that variant of the flu.  I'm still mad.  I flew to a cruise this past fall and I got a cough and came back with bronchitis and a cough that lingered on for a couple of weeks after I got over the actual bronchitis.  I think I got it on the plane, although I guess it could have been on the ship.

Diarrhea is just uncomfortable for me and I would wear diapers.

A fever - I would probably go  - depends on if I was contagious.  I got a cough a couple of days before I was to leave on a cruise.  The doc gave me antibiotics.  I asked two different doctors if I could go, and they said I could.  So I did.  I was fine on the cruise but when I came back I had pneumonia which confined me to my bed for a couple of weeks.  My sister said I should not have gone, but both doctors said I could.  Bob did not get sick and he was with me.

I have not, up to now, had migraines.  So I don't know about that.

I might also suggest that if I could not afford to lose the money that I would not knowingly book non-refundable travel.  I did call a hotel for a booking last month - I called the hotel direct.  They switched me to Booking.com and I didn't realize it.  I know I called the hotel direct because I wanted the points and I can't get them at Booking.com.  When I went to change the reservation it had changed from an accessible king to a regular double queen, and said it was non-refundable and could not be changed.  I did get the type of room changed, but I was annoyed.

Last edited by grandmar (1-8-2018 2:52 PM)

#4 1-8-2018 2:45 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Posts: 6020

Re: Would you still fly if you fell ill in this situation?

I've flown with two of those.

I've flown with acute food poisoning - not a lot of choice as it kicked in very shortly before the flight, and all I could really do was dose up on immodium and pray like hell I was past the worst of it.  But it was only an hour long flight and I knew what had caused it so - and this is important - I knew no one else would catch it.  If I thought I had norovirus or something else infectious I probably wouldn't have risked spreading it.

And I had to fly with a migraine.  Again, it kicked in very shortly before I boarded.  Mine are just about controllable with meds - two paracetamol, one sumatriptan, two ibruprofen and an anti-emetic - but even on all that I was clinging onto consciousness by the skin of my teeth.  It was a non stop long haul Entebbe to Heathrow, and I'm sure the lady in the airport thought I was drunk - hallucinating little wavy lines the whole way.  But ultimately, it was for my sister's wedding and I had to be on that flight, so I did it.  Even for a holiday, air travel is often a cause of my migraines - it's hard to get enough hydration on modern flights and any physical stress makes things worse, so it's not rare for me to start a trip up to my eyeballs in triptan medicines and acting mildly stoned.  It's one of the reasons why I often book an actual hotel with a pool for the first days of a trip and switch to backpacker mode later - the drugs leave me woozy and i don't need hassle.

Flu and fever are different.  For a start, REAL flu I don't think I could get out of bed - the migraine is bad but there are meds for it, when I've had real flu the plane could have been taking off from the end of my driveway and i don't think I could have hauled myself out to that gate.  Then you have the risk of harm to others - flu and fever are more likely to be communicable than food poisoning (of course norovirus etc are violently contagious). I think it's pretty antisocial to be catching a plane if you might give someone flu, especially as you don't know if that little old lady or small child might actually get hospital level sick, or even die, from it.  And in your imaginary situation I wouldn't be taking a financial hit - everything is refundable except the plane and with real flu or most feverish illnesses I would be sick enough to qualify for a doctor's note, and that would probably mean I could claim on my annual travel insurance policy.

#5 1-8-2018 5:33 PM

davejo
david
Puerto Princesa City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 121

Re: Would you still fly if you fell ill in this situation?

I would fly and put up with the illness. Too much trouble to re-arrange everything!

#6 1-9-2018 12:53 AM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 299

Re: Would you still fly if you fell ill in this situation?

No idea. I'd decide on the spot. Depends a) how I feel, b) whether it's a contageous disease or not, c) how important the trip is and what's behind it, d) whether it's about going home at the end of a trip, and so on.

But I don't think it makes much sense to worry about unlaid eggs...

#7 1-9-2018 3:24 AM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 172

Re: Would you still fly if you fell ill in this situation?

I've never had a migraine, but I have traveled with all of the others.  I would not appreciate nor recommend traveling if the flu is in the contagious phase - many say you are most contagious between day 1~5.  But sometimes there is no other choice.

The only medical constraint that so far in my life that has kept me from taking a trip was when I had tickets to Tunisia leaving two days after a work accident where I broke my heel.  7 weeks later the swelling had subsided enough that I was cleared to travel (with three 15cm pins in my foot, a cast and crutches) so that I could return home and continue my healing, rehab and therapy back with my family.

#8 1-9-2018 6:53 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1355

1 and 2 yes, medication at hand and go
I don't have experience with no. 4 so I really don't know
No. 3 fever is a tricky one, depends how bad

#9 1-11-2018 11:50 AM

Re: Would you still fly if you fell ill in this situation?

Thanks for the comments - looks like we are about evenly divided on this topic!

#10 1-11-2018 10:55 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Posts: 6020

Re: Would you still fly if you fell ill in this situation?

Just as a PS, i’ve spent the last three days in bed with fever, respiratory symptoms and a bad cough. It *might* be flu- I was vaccinated but it does not cover one of the common strains this year. And I have lost three days wages- I couldn’t have got out of bed for work OR a plane if you had dangled the cold hard cash six inches beyond my face. If by some fluke someone had carried me to the airport I think the airline would have refused me boarding!

#11 1-12-2018 12:55 AM

Lotus28
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1979

Re: Would you still fly if you fell ill in this situation?

I’m not familiar with regulations of other countries airlines, but ANA and JAL will not accept boarding of passengers with infectious diseases. They accept cancellation with full refund or reschedule of flights within 30days from original ETD with a medical certificate.

#12 1-12-2018 1:09 AM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Posts: 172

Lotus28 wrote:

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalpri/equipme … nment.html

ANA and JAL are both preferred airlines for me, and this is a perfect example of their thoughtfulness and empathy to their customers.  American based carriers would never do this - quite the contrary, if you rescheduled, you'd be responsible for all the fees and penalties.

#13 1-12-2018 1:42 AM

rrjohn
Posts: 6

Re: Would you still fly if you fell ill in this situation?

As a sufferer of migraines from time to time, I would NEVER consider boarding a flight if I was having a migraine attack. Like you, I would be bedridden too for a couple of days. I've never traveled with diarrhea but I'm guessing it won't be a pleasant experience. Fever is manageable with meds for me. I agree with the others who say it's a bad idea to travel with flu. I wouldn't want to put the other travelers at risk either, especially if there are kids on board.

#14 1-12-2018 1:57 AM

Toonsarah
Sarah
London Borough of Ealing, United Kingdom
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Sightseer
Posts: 97

Re: Would you still fly if you fell ill in this situation?

I get bad headaches but not migraines so can't comment on that (if a headache were to stop me flying I would have missed A LOT of holidays!) I would probably fly with the others if I felt up to it and weren't contagious, but if I had to cancel I would see my GP and get a letter confirming my illness so that our annual travel insurance would cover the costs and we could rebook at a later date. We've had to do that twice - not because either I or my husband was ill, but once because his father was and once my own father. Both times the insurance company reimbursed us in full (apart from the £50 excess) on confirmation from their respective doctors that the illnesses were genuine and severe.

#15 1-12-2018 2:08 AM

MarioBG
Mario
Johannesburg, South Africa
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 419

Re: Would you still fly if you fell ill in this situation?

I have traveled with 1 and 2. I am still alive and had a good time.
I would stick through and travel regardless. The only thing that would stop me is if I was hospitalized and I had no choice but to stay.

#16 1-12-2018 4:27 AM

sydneybusses
Minibus
Sydney, Australia
Posts: 8

No i could not fly.

#17 1-12-2018 8:12 AM

rrjohn wrote:

...I agree with the others who say it's a bad idea to travel with flu. I wouldn't want to put the other travelers at risk either, especially if there are kids on board.

Kids get sick all the time and as a parent I expected them to bring everything home.  So for me, it would not be kids (usually kids that are traveling are basically healthy).  For me it would be old people that I would not want to risk (especially as I am now one), or Vietnam vets whose lungs were compromised by exposure to Agent Orange.

My take is - people who travel (especially for a pleasure trip) with an infectious disease are being selfish

Last edited by grandmar (1-12-2018 8:12 AM)

#18 1-12-2018 10:03 AM

surfoz
Perth, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 921

Re: Would you still fly if you fell ill in this situation?

I've flown with two, three and four and I would also travel with one - but would make sure to take some meds with me to ease the symptoms.

My biggest worry when flying is exhaustion as I rarely get much sleep the nite before and can't sleep on planes full stop - now I take a sleeping pill once I'm about an hour or two into the flite and and it works a treat.

#19 1-12-2018 10:39 AM

Lotus28 wrote:

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalpri/equipme … nment.html

I flown with ANA 4 years ago from Brussels to Tokyo with a flu, at the boarding gate in Brussels they didn’t noticed I’m sick. When we arrived in Narita airport they have the machine that measures body temperature and I have the fever that time as it was only the second day of my flu, and I thought they will stopped me there, but no one even noticed

#20 1-12-2018 10:50 AM

Is not being selfish, I just hate to re-arrange everything.
How many people flying on the plane with a disease? is something I don’t wanna think about it

Last edited by shavy (1-12-2018 10:57 AM)

#21 1-12-2018 12:00 PM

Re: Would you still fly if you fell ill in this situation?

As previously mentioned, I have never flown with a flu, but I have sat beside someone who did. It was the return flight of a uni abroad trip. We sat at the last row of the plane. She felt pain in her ears during take off and landing but did survive the flight. The several rows ahead of us were occupied by our class of 30+. As far as I know, no one caught the flu afterwards. This has led me to believe that the likelihood/danger of catching a flu from someone is over-exaggerated.

sarahelaine wrote:

Get well soon Sarah smile

#22 1-12-2018 2:16 PM

vulindlela
Jeremy
Indianapolis, Indiana
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 10051

Re: Would you still fly if you fell ill in this situation?

No, because this is how epidemics spread.

Also, I am a germophobe, so I would not want to subject others to something I dislike.

#23 1-12-2018 4:07 PM

shavy wrote:

Is not being selfish, I just hate to re-arrange everything.

That is what being selfish is-being more concerned with the cost/effort to rearrange things than you are with the health of fellow passengers.  Putting self above  the  general good.

Not everyone who travels with a sick person will get sick.  Depends on the the health and state of their immune system and also depends on how contagious the sick person is.  Not all people who have a cough are contagious.

#24 1-12-2018 4:17 PM

Manjit
Punjab, India
Posts: 4

Re: Would you still fly if you fell ill in this situation?

No, I am no longer interested in travelling in illness. I will probably cancel my flights.

Board footer