#26 1-7-2018 9:10 PM

cottonwood
Loren
Sun Valley, Idaho
Sightseer
Posts: 76

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

Well, first of all, it's only a mere 2.5 hour drive before 7 hours of flying from Idaho, so not quite half way around the world, but close.....second, this will be my 8th trip to Hawaii, so it's not like I haven't seen the sights before. Of done most of the sights on Maui, Kauai, Oahu, Molokini and Lanai. This is the trip to go and just "chill" for a week before the winter sets in back here in Idaho.

 

#27 1-7-2018 9:21 PM

cottonwood
Loren
Sun Valley, Idaho
Sightseer
Posts: 76

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

.....and about that melanoma thing, i'm fully aware of that. My father had one about the size of a quarter on his gut back in the early 1980's and he is now 84 and still skiing as fast as I am. I go in once every two years to do a full body skin cancer check up and have come up clean every check up. Trust me, it can be just as sunny here in Sun Valley, Idaho(hence, the name of my home town) as it is in Hawaii, just that it's 30 to 40 degrees warmer in November than here in Idaho.

 

#28 1-8-2018 2:57 AM

elizabethtrvl
Couch Potato
Posts: 17

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

Auckland beaches are the best..If you want to go there then check out these beautiful beaches just a stone’s throw from downtown Auckland.

 

#29 1-8-2018 6:48 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 553

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

cottonwood wrote:

Well, first of all, it's only a mere 2.5 hour drive before 7 hours of flying from Idaho, so not quite half way around the world, but close.....second, this will be my 8th trip to Hawaii, so it's not like I haven't seen the sights before. Of done most of the sights on Maui, Kauai, Oahu, Molokini and Lanai. This is the trip to go and just "chill" for a week before the winter sets in back here in Idaho.

I don't think I have ever been somewhere where I have not had something else that I could do or see, and that includes the place where I have lived for the last 45 years.  If I wanted to just 'chill', I think I could find someplace to do that which did not involve flying for 7 hours first.  Obviously we differ on this.  I do agree about going someplace warmer, particularly as right now the pipes to the two upstairs bathrooms are frozen, and I really would like it to be warmer outside.  The snow has ceased to be pristine and photogenic, and there is ice on the ground which makes it hazardous to walk.  Thankfully, it is supposed to warm up today.

 

#30 1-8-2018 8:05 AM

cottonwood
Loren
Sun Valley, Idaho
Sightseer
Posts: 76

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

elizabethtrvl wrote:

Auckland beaches are the best..If you want to go there then check out these beautiful beaches just a stone’s throw from downtown Auckland.

I've actually been to Auckland twice. Stayed in the city once at a youth Hostel and Takapuna the second time with my Godson and his family....and yes the beach's were great.

 

#31 1-8-2018 8:29 AM

cottonwood
Loren
Sun Valley, Idaho
Sightseer
Posts: 76

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

grandmar wrote:

cottonwood wrote:

Well, first of all, it's only a mere 2.5 hour drive before 7 hours of flying from Idaho, so not quite half way around the world, but close.....second, this will be my 8th trip to Hawaii, so it's not like I haven't seen the sights before. Of done most of the sights on Maui, Kauai, Oahu, Molokini and Lanai. This is the trip to go and just "chill" for a week before the winter sets in back here in Idaho.

I don't think I have ever been somewhere where I have not had something else that I could do or see, and that includes the place where I have lived for the last 45 years.  If I wanted to just 'chill', I think I could find someplace to do that which did not involve flying for 7 hours first.  Obviously we differ on this.  I do agree about going someplace warmer, particularly as right now the pipes to the two upstairs bathrooms are frozen, and I really would like it to be warmer outside.  The snow has ceased to be pristine and photogenic, and there is ice on the ground which makes it hazardous to walk.  Thankfully, it is supposed to warm up today.

The idea is to chill....on a warm beach......and to feel the last bit of warm outside air before the busy winter in my hometown. Trust me, I can chill just as much here in Idaho in November where I've lived for 29 years full time this June, but it has to be either in a hot tub or hot springs for the warmth and darn to heck if I'm going to stay inside all the time because it's only 40 something degrees outside, therefore trade in the frequent flyer and go for Hawaii. It's either that or Mexico. A lot of Idahoans go to Mexico. I just prefer Hawaii. Both Hawaii and Mexico aren't exactly next door.

 

#32 1-8-2018 9:57 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1153

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

cottonwood wrote:

Well, first of all, it's only a mere 2.5 hour drive before 7 hours of flying from Idaho, so not quite half way around the world, but close.....second, this will be my 8th trip to Hawaii, so it's not like I haven't seen the sights before. Of done most of the sights on Maui, Kauai, Oahu, Molokini and Lanai. This is the trip to go and just "chill" for a week before the winter sets in back here in Idaho.

Everyone has it's own opinion of how to spend their holiday.....I agree with you and this is nobody's business! is your money and time big_smile

 

#33 1-8-2018 1:15 PM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 344

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

Of course it's her trip and entirely hers. But since she started a public discussion on the topic here we are allowed to express our opinions even if they differ, aren't we?

 

#34 1-8-2018 2:56 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 553

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

shavy wrote:

cottonwood wrote:

Well, first of all, it's only a mere 2.5 hour drive before 7 hours of flying from Idaho, so not quite half way around the world, but close.....second, this will be my 8th trip to Hawaii, so it's not like I haven't seen the sights before. Of done most of the sights on Maui, Kauai, Oahu, Molokini and Lanai. This is the trip to go and just "chill" for a week before the winter sets in back here in Idaho.

Everyone has it's own opinion of how to spend their holiday.....I agree with you and this is nobody's business! is your money and time big_smile

I realize that some people want to lie on the beach and do nothing. I would find that depressing and boring.  I could do it if I had to.  But what I was contesting was not the desire to lie on the beach in the sun and do nothing - of course if that's what someone wants to do, they can do that and don't have to be concerned that other people wouldn't want to spend their time that way.  What I was contesting was that there was nothing else to do or see in Hawaii even after 8 visits.

 

#35 1-8-2018 3:06 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1153

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

grandmar wrote:

shavy wrote:

cottonwood wrote:

Well, first of all, it's only a mere 2.5 hour drive before 7 hours of flying from Idaho, so not quite half way around the world, but close.....second, this will be my 8th trip to Hawaii, so it's not like I haven't seen the sights before. Of done most of the sights on Maui, Kauai, Oahu, Molokini and Lanai. This is the trip to go and just "chill" for a week before the winter sets in back here in Idaho.

Everyone has it's own opinion of how to spend their holiday.....I agree with you and this is nobody's business! is your money and time big_smile

I realize that some people want to lie on the beach and do nothing. I would find that depressing and boring.  I could do it if I had to.  But what I was contesting was not the desire to lie on the beach in the sun and do nothing - of course if that's what someone wants to do, they can do that and don't have to be concerned that other people wouldn't want to spend their time that way.  What I was contesting was that there was nothing else to do or see in Hawaii even after 8 visits.

If he's been to Hawaii 8 times, well, surely he had seen it all. I'm not a person who goes the same place for more than three times and certainly not for the sun only.

The OP said he's going just for "chill" so let him do that smile

 

#36 1-8-2018 4:38 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 553

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

How am I stopping him?

I do go back to places as many people do.  Didn't your parents take you to the same places for summer vacations? That counts.When I was a child, for many years we went to Woods Hole for summer vacation. One of my daughters revisited Bethany Beach for a week each summer.

I lived in Key West for 3 years, and I have been back there frequently.  (If I was going to count how many, I'd have to go back and look on VT.)  I've been to Bermuda 7 or 8 times and would go back again.  I'm sure I could go back to London or Amsterdam many times.   Some places are worth revisiting.

Last edited by grandmar (1-9-2018 7:14 AM)

 

#37 1-9-2018 1:39 AM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 3842

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

I don't mind going to a beach just to chill. But make sure that there are good food, massages are easily accessible at the place or nearby, it is not crowded with gazillions of beachgoers, and that prices are not through the roof! I like mingling with people but I totally dislike most crowds or anything that overburdens the resources or environment of where I am staying at.

 

#38 1-9-2018 7:40 AM

cottonwood
Loren
Sun Valley, Idaho
Sightseer
Posts: 76

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

grandmar wrote:

How am I stopping him?

I do go back to places as many people do.  Didn't your parents take you to the same places for summer vacations? That counts.When I was a child, for many years we went to Woods Hole for summer vacation. One of my daughters revisited Bethany Beach for a week each summer.

I lived in Key West for 3 years, and I have been back there frequently.  (If I was going to count how many, I'd have to go back and look on VT.)  I've been to Bermuda 7 or 8 times and would go back again.  I'm sure I could go back to London or Amsterdam many times.   Some places are worth revisiting.

Of course I went to the same place every summer.....and winter for that matter....and I know have lived in that place for the last 29 years because I liked it so much. Seattle, Washington and Hawaii are number 2 and 3 for most visited while growing up and sunny Hawaii over rules rainy Seattle for a place to "chill" at for a week.

 

#39 1-11-2018 4:33 AM

darryldenicola
Darryl
Couch Potato
Posts: 5

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

shavy wrote:

After tavelling around Colombia for 3 weeks, we spent three days on the island Isla Del Rosario. It was so good to relax for a few days after dragging our luggage everyday and the long buses trip we feel like it is necessary to chill out after touring Colombia and do nothing just eat, drink and swimming, sometimes on the hammock. Flying back home completely relaxed

We have also travelled to Isla Del Rosario Island. It was a relaxing experience.

 

#40 1-11-2018 10:52 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1153

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

darryldenicola wrote:

shavy wrote:

After tavelling around Colombia for 3 weeks, we spent three days on the island Isla Del Rosario. It was so good to relax for a few days after dragging our luggage everyday and the long buses trip we feel like it is necessary to chill out after touring Colombia and do nothing just eat, drink and swimming, sometimes on the hammock. Flying back home completely relaxed

We have also travelled to Isla Del Rosario Island. It was a relaxing experience.

Isla del Rosario is endeed very relaxing. We have a two night stay at Cocoliso Resort, the biggest resort in the island with everything in it

 

#41 1-12-2018 2:11 AM

MarioBG
Mario
Johannesburg, South Africa
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 426

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

I went on a cruise to Mozambique. Did nothing but sip cocktails and smoke cigars by the pool and on the beach.

If I travel in summer I always try to consider 2 or 3 days at a nice beach location where I can just relax and do nothing. The most recent was Brazil but unfortunately rainy weather didnt allow for that to happen as planned.

 

#42 1-12-2018 2:36 AM

rrjohn
Couch Potato
Posts: 9

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

I think the type of vacation you're talking about here is one to just take a breather from everyday stressful life. I do it too. Quite often, actually. I have a couple of places I regularly visit to just do nothing. Talk to no one. Relax. Clear my head and come back refreshed. For me, a vacation means just that - do as you please, go with the flow, et al. Of course, you can't really do this on a sightseeing trip.

 

#43 1-12-2018 8:23 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 553

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

Sometimes people say that they need a vacation to recover from their vacation.  Except for actual jet lag problems, it seems to me that these people have not planned properly and tried to cram too much stuff into the time available.  Even when I  was younger, I allowed myself time to relax and regroup when I traveled, and this was even more necessary once I started having kids while I still had to travel.  You can't do that kind of trip where you cram every moment full if you have young children with you, or if you try everyone will be miserable, and hopefully, you will see the error of your ways.

This is a self scheduling problem for people who do not recognize their own limitations or who are not able to relax in their home environment.

 

#44 1-12-2018 11:54 AM

cottonwood
Loren
Sun Valley, Idaho
Sightseer
Posts: 76

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

grandmar wrote:

Sometimes people say that they need a vacation to recover from their vacation.  Except for actual jet lag problems, it seems to me that these people have not planned properly and tried to cram too much stuff into the time available.  Even when I  was younger, I allowed myself time to relax and regroup when I traveled, and this was even more necessary once I started having kids while I still had to travel.  You can't do that kind of trip where you cram every moment full if you have young children with you, or if you try everyone will be miserable, and hopefully, you will see the error of your ways.

This is a self scheduling problem for people who do not recognize their own limitations or who are not able to relax in their home environment.

Trust me, I've had many staycations in my home town. I live in a resort vacation type town where the main industry is tourism. There is always something to do in the way of great restaurants, hot springs, movie theaters, hiking, skiing(which I did today and will do the next 2 days), golfing......Unfortunately the main time for us local workers to take a nice vacation is the off season(spring and fall) when a lot of things close up for the season because of the lack of business or the weather. As much as i enjoy sleeping in at my own condo and "do nothing" for a week at home, which I have done many times, I thought it would be nice to do it where it is warm and sunny all the time. Spring and fall can be miserable weather at the time my work allows me to vacation time and, tag, Honolulu is it. I can do this trip for about $500 with where I'm staying and the frequent flyer miles used for the flight plus parking at the airport for the week plus food. Being happily single with no kids helps in less stress also.

 

#45 1-12-2018 4:11 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 553

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

cottonwood wrote:

... As much as i enjoy sleeping in at my own condo and "do nothing" for a week at home, which I have done many times, I thought it would be nice to do it where it is warm and sunny all the time. Spring and fall can be miserable weather at the time my work allows me to vacation time and, tag, Honolulu is it. I can do this trip for about $500 with where I'm staying and the frequent flyer miles used for the flight plus parking at the airport for the week plus food. Being happily single with no kids helps in less stress also.

I trust you and really have no problem with you doing as you wish on your own vacation.  It wouldn't work for me (at least not at the beach), but if it works for you and that's what you want to do - more power to you.

 

#46 1-17-2018 12:14 PM

KyivWitch
Couch Potato
Posts: 26

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

I usually prefer to combine 'doing nothing' with some sightseeing but now I feel I need this lazy trip.
Thinking of UAE so far

 

#47 1-22-2018 12:19 AM

MartinLTurner
Martin
Ohio, United States
Couch Potato
Posts: 25

Re: Travel to a beach to do nothing......

This reminds me of my Miami trip with a lazy friend. big_smile

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB