#1 12-15-2017 10:53 PM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1094

Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

Hi TBs, would appreciate your comments, opinions and suggestions. Tour packages that covers these 2 cities are just too expensive. I'm trying to work out a DIY budget list and see if it's affordable to go in February. My questions are:

1. I know February will be very cold. But timing cannot be changed. So what's the temperature & weather like, and if there's any special events during this time.
2. What time do shops/museums close?
3. What's the best budget accommodation during this time of the year considering the cold weather?
4. Is cycling still advisable or too cold and dangerous? I heard sometimes it still snows in February so will the roads be slippery? Presuming the tires are anti-slip?
5. How many days is sufficient for Copenhagen to see the "main attractions"?
6. What's the most convenient yet economical way to travel to Stockholm?
7. Do these cities use the same currency or can be used interchangeably?

Same questions 1-7 for Stockholm.

Due to budget constraints, not sure if doing a split trip for each country is better, or to combine these two cities in 1 trip, which means longer duration and higher expenditure. I estimate around 10 days max if the plan is to see both cities.

All comments are welcome. Thank you!

 

#2 12-16-2017 6:58 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer
Posts: 1064

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

February in Scandinavia will be very cold, if that’s the only time you can then take it smile
For Copenhagen I can spend 3 days in the winter, and longer in other months as I’d like visiting the islands

Bus is the economical way to Stockholm but the travel time is too long. If you spend a little more money I would opt for train, is more than 5 hour trip.

Answer to your last question: It depends where you from, if you flying outside Europe I think is best to combine the two cities in one trip.. 10 days for two cities is more than enough

Scandinavia is quite expensive for accommodation, but if you are not fussy you can find budget places to stay. Try check booking.com or hostel world.

Last edited by shavy (12-17-2017 3:07 AM)

 

#3 12-17-2017 2:37 AM

EmEm
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster III
Explorer
Posts: 4135

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

Chokk can give you the best answer on this question, he is always between these two cities. 
2. Monday - Thursday shops open until 6 pm.,  supermarkets to 10p.m.
4. cycling always
5. I can visit all what I want to see again in each city in a day, the choice is up to you.
6. bus- you can take a night ride instead of an accomodation
7. not the same currency, and can be used  interchangeably

Have a nice journey!

 

#4 12-18-2017 10:38 PM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1094

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

shavy wrote:

Bus is the economical way to Stockholm but the travel time is too long. If you spend a little more money I would opt for train, is more than 5 hour trip.

Answer to your last question: It depends where you from, if you flying outside Europe I think is best to combine the two cities in one trip.. 10 days for two cities is more than enough

Scandinavia is quite expensive for accommodation, but if you are not fussy you can find budget places to stay. Try check booking.com or hostel world.

Any recommendations for the more reputable bus companies (i.e, safety, reasonably priced), and how much difference betweent he price for a bus against the price for a train?

Yes, I'm from out of Europe and I guess you're right, combining makes sense.

My requirement for accommodation would be price and safety. But I guess both the countries are safe?


EmEm wrote:

2. Monday - Thursday shops open until 6 pm.,  supermarkets to 10p.m.
4. cycling always
5. I can visit all what I want to see again in each city in a day, the choice is up to you.
6. bus- you can take a night ride instead of an accomodation
7. not the same currency, and can be used  interchangeably

Thanks for the info! Good to know the shops still open til late despite winter.

Overnight bus, is it comfortable? There's a saying here in Malaysia that we should avoid overnight buses cos accident rates are very high. sad

I need to get more information before deciding if it's a good idea to go in Winter.

 

#5 12-18-2017 8:29 PM

Andi03
Andile
Johannesburg, South Africa
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 247

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

Hey

I was both in those cities  early December .

I used a train from Copenhagen to Stockholm , its 5 hours but the journey was lovely .

Hostels are quite reasonable in both places , I stayed at City hostel- Central Station  in Stockholm its 5 minutes to central station and I found it very central , the hostel itself is very clean and had everything I needed , the kitchen was always clean as well .

Copenhagen I stayed at Copenhagen Downtown Hostel ,its central as well and easy to walk around the city , it doesn't have a kitchen but has a restaurant and offers a buffet breakfast as well for 70 krone .

in Stockholm you can get  48 or72 hours and a week ticket for transport you can use it to all public transport , buses , trains ect I only bought 24 hours one and other days I was just walking ..I think in Copenhagen you can do the same well , google Stockholm pass as well .

Last edited by Andi03 (12-18-2017 8:29 PM)

 

#6 12-19-2017 12:02 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1355

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

2. For opening hours museums I would check online the ones you want to visit
4. Unless the roads are really slippery due to snow and/or ice you can cycle all year round
5. depends on your idea of 'main attractions' I spend one day in Copenhagen and a few more in the area south of the city (daytrip mon is nice!)
6. I would go for train, bus is an option but takes much longer. Overnight bus is never comfortable in my opinion but I never heard of higher accident rates in Europe, buses are very safe here.
7. It's not the same currency but I wouldn't take too much cash money, those countries try to use as little cash as possible and everything can be paid for by card, just check with your bank to see what card you best use for transactions in Europe

As for deciding if it's a good idea to go in winter? It's easier to dress for cold weather than warm, but as you are from Malaysia you might think different about that :-)

 

#7 12-18-2017 9:48 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 17636

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

I wouldn't go to Scandinavia for ten days at that time of year. It's not just the weather.  It's the dark. In fact, I don't really recommend most of Europe for a long trip at that time of year. Though there are advantages. Accommodation and transport should not be a problem.

A good site for transport options is www.rome2rio.com. I would definitely prefer the train.

Both countries use crown as currency but it is not the same crown. Both around ten to the euro, I think. Danish crown is tied to the euro.

If you do go for ten days, I highly recommend a daytrip to Roskilde outside Copenhagen.  Malmo too for a daytrip. Lund and Ystad too. Last three are in Sweden but just a quick train trip from Copenhagen.

I highly recommend Uppsala near Stockholm for a daytrip. There's much beautiful nature, lakes and mountains in Sweden. Not sure how accessible or worthwhile it would be at that time of year. Skiing is also an option in Sweden but I can't imagine it would be cheap.

 

#8 12-19-2017 7:55 PM

StevieP
Steve
United Kingdom
Sightseer
Posts: 71

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

I went to Gothenburg in February, and found it to be beautiful. Yes it was cold, there was snow on the ground, but it was brilliant. I also spent a day visiting the Archipelago's as the boats continue all year round as they are inhabited.

I've not been to Stockholm, but Copenhagen is a marvellous city, I stayed just outside the main city and used the train (one stop) into the city, the train was cheap and the hotel, in Kastrup was cheap but pleasant. The hotel was also the cheapest place I could grab a beer, which was unusual.

Definitely recommend the travel card in Sweden, in Copenhagen I walked most places as I didn't think it was that large.

 

#9 12-21-2017 1:03 AM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1094

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

Thank you so much for all the informative tips! Will have to do some googling! Glad to hear that there are still places worth visiting during this non-peak period.

I presume things would be slightly cheaper considering it's non-peak? (minus the skiing idea of course).

About the day trips, do you mean joining tours or can be done solo?

How about food? How much should I budget for a meal, and what are the must-trys?

 

#10 12-21-2017 6:01 AM

Bojasem
Taher
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 593

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

February in Scandinavia will be very cold.But,Copenhagen warmer then Sweden.

I highly recommend  mermaid statue, the old cathedral, royal palace , amusment park and cafes area in Copenhagen.

I highly recommend  the see,vasa museum, old town ,ghost walk and the night life

Also, do not miss Malmo it nice city

enjoy

 

#11 12-22-2017 5:27 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1355

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

Day trips can be done by public transportation, for example Mon from Copenhagen
http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhag … -gdk450090
Or Francis' idea Upsala from Stockholm
https://www.tripsavvy.com/how-to-get-fr … la-1626270

 

#12 12-23-2017 10:57 PM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1983

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

trippin_jen wrote:

Hi TBs, would appreciate your comments, opinions and suggestions. Tour packages that covers these 2 cities are just too expensive. I'm trying to work out a DIY budget list and see if it's affordable to go in February. My questions are:

1. I know February will be very cold. But timing cannot be changed. So what's the temperature & weather like, and if there's any special events during this time.
2. What time do shops/museums close?
3. What's the best budget accommodation during this time of the year considering the cold weather?
4. Is cycling still advisable or too cold and dangerous? I heard sometimes it still snows in February so will the roads be slippery? Presuming the tires are anti-slip?
5. How many days is sufficient for Copenhagen to see the "main attractions"?
6. What's the most convenient yet economical way to travel to Stockholm?
7. Do these cities use the same currency or can be used interchangeably?

Same questions 1-7 for Stockholm.

Due to budget constraints, not sure if doing a split trip for each country is better, or to combine these two cities in 1 trip, which means longer duration and higher expenditure. I estimate around 10 days max if the plan is to see both cities.

All comments are welcome. Thank you!

Hi Jen,

Since I live in Copenhagen, I can try to help with your questions.  Most tber answer are right.

1. It is dark and cold in Copenhagen during winter especially when it is windy, night is colder than day time.  I heard this winter will be colder like the 2012 which reach -15C.  Not sure yet as it was only news -still waiting:)

2. I am not sure what time the shop closed but I think they tend to close earlier at the strøget street around 4 or 5pm.
Check this website to see the attractions in copenhagen and the opening hours.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen-tourist

3.  Most hotels offer discounts or sale during winter time (it is actually the best time to go on budget).
Cabin hotel is a good budget hotel and have a good review if you want a decent place to stay (I havent stay there.

4. Everybody cycling here and I still cycling even when it was snowing.  Road would be slippery when snowing but still can cycle slowly.

5.  Depend what would you like to see.  Actually it is quite a lot to see in Copenhagen.  Some people just see the buildings and not go into the attractions or inside the museum or palace.  Some nice areas just outside Copenhagen city to explore as well.  The 3 days Copenhagen card is really good value for money and will keep you warm, if you plan to see as many sights and museums as it cover the entrance fee and the public transportation.

6. You can compare the train price with the flight, sometimes norwegian airlines offer really good deal.

7. Different currencies, but some shops in Sweden accept danish kr and give change in swedish kr.

Give me a shoot if you come to Copenhagen so we can meet since I was not able to see you when I was in KL last time.

 

#13 12-25-2017 9:19 AM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1094

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

Thanks guys, for the information. The visitcopenhagen link is very interesting. Have also checked out the transport pass, and will see if it suits my itinerary once I've got it done. At the moment I'm trying to shortlist the places of interest so that I can roughly estimate the duration to spend on each city.

As for the recommendations to Malmo, Lund and Gotthenburg, instead of making day trips from Copenhagen, I'd probably slowly move my way up by bus/train to Stockholm. Presumably these cities are worth a night's stay and accommodations in Sweden are not too much more expensive than Copenhagen?  What do you guys think?

I'll have to slowly check the information on transportation cards in Sweden too.

Another question is about the flights. I'm from Malaysia and there's no direct flights. I could choose to stopover in London, Amsterdam or Dubai. I've never been to Dubai so I thought perhaps a 9-hour layover is good enough to let me have a glimpse of the Burj Khalifa? Or do you think it's a bad idea?

Alternatively, I could purchase a return tic from KL to London. Then get on budget airlines from London to Copenhagen. I'll take a train to Stockholm. And from Stockholm get another budget flight back to London. Do you think it's a bit risky with the timing (in case of flight delays)? Just a summary:

Option A: KL - London - Copenhagen - London - KL. (Will travel by train from Copenhagen to Stockholm and back to Copenhagen).

Option B: KL - London - Copenhagen - London - KL. (Will travel by train from Copenhagen to Stockholm. Deliberately miss the flight from Copenhagen to London, but instead, fly directly to London from Stockholm) - this way i save time and money form travelling back to Copenhagen from Stockholm.

Option C: KL - London - KL. Fly one way with Budget Airline to Copenhagen from London. Take a train to Stockholm. Fly one way with Budget Airline from Stockholm to London.

Option D: The same as options A, B and C above, except replace London with Dubai.

I'm just trying to find alternatives, although I'm not sure if by doing do it can actually help me save any money.

Yuni, I will definitely let you know if I ever make this trip happen! smile

 

#14 12-27-2017 6:59 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter
Posts: 17636

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

It could make sense to move to Malmo and use that as base for daytrips to Lund and/or Ystad. 

Though all are within easy reach of Copenhagen.

On hotel prices, why not just check on www.booking.com?

On budget flights to/from London, can you not get a through flight to Copenhagen or Stockholm via London? I presume you will be flying into London Heathrow. Most if not all budget airlines do not use this airport and most of the other airports in London are quite far from Heathrow. It could take you longer to get from one airport to the other than the flight to Scandinavia would take...

 

#15 12-27-2017 12:25 PM

Tristanng
Tristan
Pullman, Washington
Couch Potato
Posts: 10

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

You can join one of those free walking tours in Copenhagen or just grab a city map to navigate around. I was there last month and although it was cold but saw many people riding their bicycles around (no snow on the ground but it was cold with the windchill). We walked everywhere mostly or take the subway since we lived at a budget hotel we found on booking. com called Zleep, which is just right next to København H central station where you can take a direct train to Malmö or Kastrup from there. You can also try flying out from Malmö Airport to Stockholm, you may find better deals flying out from there like we did.

Food is expensive like any other Nordic countries by Malaysian standards (I’m Malaysian), you can eat at McD (around 40 DKK for a burger) or go to a grocery store to save money. You can also find affordable dining options at the shopping mall in the city (Fisketorvet) where most buffet dinners run about 90 DKK.

We only had to use a little cash at those tourists souvenir shops at Copenhagen since they don’t take cards and that was all. Both Sweden and Denmark are highly cashless as far as I know, especially Sweden, plus you get very good exchange rates using credit cards.

Last edited by Tristanng (12-26-2017 3:53 PM)

 

#16 12-28-2017 12:02 AM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1094

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

fransglobal wrote:

On budget flights to/from London, can you not get a through flight to Copenhagen or Stockholm via London? I presume you will be flying into London Heathrow. Most if not all budget airlines do not use this airport and most of the other airports in London are quite far from Heathrow. It could take you longer to get from one airport to the other than the flight to Scandinavia would take...

Ah yes, thanks for the reminder about the distance! Probably doesn't save much if I were to split the flights!

Tristanng wrote:

You can join one of those free walking tours in Copenhagen or just grab a city map to navigate around. I was there last month and although it was cold but saw many people riding their bicycles around (no snow on the ground but it was cold with the windchill). We walked everywhere mostly or take the subway since we lived at a budget hotel we found on booking. com called Zleep, which is just right next to København H central station where you can take a direct train to Malmö or Kastrup from there. You can also try flying out from Malmö Airport to Stockholm, you may find better deals flying out from there like we did.

Food is expensive like any other Nordic countries by Malaysian standards (I’m Malaysian), you can eat at McD (around 40 DKK for a burger) or go to a grocery store to save money. You can also find affordable dining options at the shopping mall in the city (Fisketorvet) where most buffet dinners run about 90 DKK.

We only had to use a little cash at those tourists souvenir shops at Copenhagen since they don’t take cards and that was all. Both Sweden and Denmark are highly cashless as far as I know, especially Sweden, plus you get very good exchange rates using credit cards.

Yes, I always use the free walking tour whenever I travel and find it useful. Thanks for the info on ZLeep. Will check it out. Seriously everything seem so expensive especially when converted, that's why I still haven't booked my flights.

Good to know the rough costs for the meals.  How many days were you there? WHich other cities did you cover?

 

#17 12-31-2017 12:11 PM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1094

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

Question: For Stockholm, is it better to stay around Gamla Stan or the City Centre?

 

#18 1-5-2018 12:07 AM

hightide
Fay
Jakarta, Indonesia
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 694

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

trippin_jen wrote:

Question: For Stockholm, is it better to stay around Gamla Stan or the City Centre?

I think both are good choices. The walk between Gamla Stan - City Centre is ~15 minutes.

On my last day in Stockholm, I chose to stay in the city centre at Radisson Blu Royal Viking Hotel (wrote a review on this hotel) because I needed to take the Arlanda Express that's just beside this hotel. If you are planning to ride the bus or Arlanda Express to/from ARN airport, I suggest city centre.

Last edited by hightide (1-5-2018 12:08 AM)

 

#19 1-7-2018 11:52 PM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1094

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

hightide wrote:

trippin_jen wrote:

Question: For Stockholm, is it better to stay around Gamla Stan or the City Centre?

I think both are good choices. The walk between Gamla Stan - City Centre is ~15 minutes.

On my last day in Stockholm, I chose to stay in the city centre at Radisson Blu Royal Viking Hotel (wrote a review on this hotel) because I needed to take the Arlanda Express that's just beside this hotel. If you are planning to ride the bus or Arlanda Express to/from ARN airport, I suggest city centre.

Thanks Fay! Will check out your review. How did you find this city? Any tips? To do, to see, to be careful?

 

#20 1-8-2018 2:23 AM

hightide
Fay
Jakarta, Indonesia
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 694

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

trippin_jen wrote:

.... accommodations in Sweden are not too much more expensive than Copenhagen?  What do you guys think?

I'll have to slowly check the information on transportation cards in Sweden too.

Another question is about the flights. I'm from Malaysia and there's no direct flights. I could choose to stopover in London, Amsterdam or Dubai. I've never been to Dubai so I thought perhaps a 9-hour layover is good enough to let me have a glimpse of the Burj Khalifa? Or do you think it's a bad idea?

Alternatively, I could purchase a return tic from KL to London. Then get on budget airlines from London to Copenhagen. I'll take a train to Stockholm. And from Stockholm get another budget flight back to London. Do you think it's a bit risky with the timing (in case of flight delays)? Just a summary:

Option A: KL - London - Copenhagen - London - KL. (Will travel by train from Copenhagen to Stockholm and back to Copenhagen).

Option B: KL - London - Copenhagen - London - KL. (Will travel by train from Copenhagen to Stockholm. Deliberately miss the flight from Copenhagen to London, but instead, fly directly to London from Stockholm) - this way i save time and money form travelling back to Copenhagen from Stockholm.

Option C: KL - London - KL. Fly one way with Budget Airline to Copenhagen from London. Take a train to Stockholm. Fly one way with Budget Airline from Stockholm to London.

Option D: The same as options A, B and C above, except replace London with Dubai.

I'm just trying to find alternatives, although I'm not sure if by doing do it can actually help me save any money.

Yuni, I will definitely let you know if I ever make this trip happen! smile

In my limited experience, I have found accommodation in Copenhagen to be much more expensive than in Stockholm. It cost me US$129 for one night at Generator Hostel private room in Copenhagen vs. US$94 for a single room at 4* Radisson Blu Royal Viking Hotel in Stockholm. Part of the reason could be due to Copenhagen imposing the regular 25% VAT on hotel stays whereas Stockholm imposes a 12% VAT on hotel stays.

I found Copenhagen to be more expensive than Stockholm in every aspect except transport.
In 2017, 24 hour public transport pass in Copenhagen was DKK 80 vs. Stockholm SEK 120.

I flew CGK-KUL//KUL-DOH-CPH//ARN-LHR-HKG-CGK on 3 separate tickets. I left a 9 hour gap in KUL to be safe. I suggest you fly KUL-XXX-CPH (open jaw) ARN-XXX-KUL unless flying to/from LHR costs significantly less. In my case, flying CGK-XXX-YYY-CPH//ARN-YYY-XXX-CGK on one ticket would have cost US$500 more hence I decided on CGK-KUL//KUL-DOH-CPH//ARN-LHR-HKG-CGK. By doing so, I wasted a full day but it was worth saving the US$500.

 

#21 1-8-2018 2:46 AM

hightide
Fay
Jakarta, Indonesia
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 694

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

trippin_jen wrote:

hightide wrote:

trippin_jen wrote:

Question: For Stockholm, is it better to stay around Gamla Stan or the City Centre?

I think both are good choices. The walk between Gamla Stan - City Centre is ~15 minutes.

On my last day in Stockholm, I chose to stay in the city centre at Radisson Blu Royal Viking Hotel (wrote a review on this hotel) because I needed to take the Arlanda Express that's just beside this hotel. If you are planning to ride the bus or Arlanda Express to/from ARN airport, I suggest city centre.

Thanks Fay! Will check out your review. How did you find this city? Any tips? To do, to see, to be careful?

I found this city to be safe and relatively more affordable than the previous 2 Scandinavian capitals I visited, Copenhagen and Oslo. Shopping, especially at H&M -- I was able to find many good deals. I got a H&M cardigan on sale for just SEK 30!

The only paid site I visited was Vasa Museum and I would recommend it.

Gamla Stan: I did a free walking tour. Found it interesting to learn about the history.

Sweden is famous for their Swedish meatballs. I dined at Kaffegillet (twice) at Gamla Stan. The entree cost SEK 175 and it was the best Swedish meatballs I have ever eaten. Was also pleasantly surprised they accepted Diner's Club as a form of payment.

Most shocking for me: The buses in Stockholm don't accept cash and they do not sell tickets on board! You would have to pre-buy a ticket or day pass at metro or train stations, the airport or convenience stores.

However, if you want to do 1 city cruise between Copenhagen and Stockholm, do it in Copenhagen. Stromma charges DKK 80 in Copenhagen vs. SEK 200 in Stockholm. After I was done with my cruise, I saw an even cheaper cruise in Copenhagen - for just DKK 40!

 

#22 1-10-2018 11:33 PM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1094

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

hightide wrote:

In my limited experience, I have found accommodation in Copenhagen to be much more expensive than in Stockholm. It cost me US$129 for one night at Generator Hostel private room in Copenhagen vs. US$94 for a single room at 4* Radisson Blu Royal Viking Hotel in Stockholm. Part of the reason could be due to Copenhagen imposing the regular 25% VAT on hotel stays whereas Stockholm imposes a 12% VAT on hotel stays.

Did you book through any booking sites or pay at the hotel? I think on booking.com or expedia, it's flat price inclusive of taxes. Still, I couldn't find any "reasonable" priced accommodation in Stockholm yet. They're all more expensive than Copenhagen. Could it be season?

hightide wrote:

Gamla Stan: I did a free walking tour. Found it interesting to learn about the history.

Sweden is famous for their Swedish meatballs. I dined at Kaffegillet (twice) at Gamla Stan. The entree cost SEK 175 and it was the best Swedish meatballs I have ever eaten. Was also pleasantly surprised they accepted Diner's Club as a form of payment.

Most shocking for me: The buses in Stockholm don't accept cash and they do not sell tickets on board! You would have to pre-buy a ticket or day pass at metro or train stations, the airport or convenience stores.

However, if you want to do 1 city cruise between Copenhagen and Stockholm, do it in Copenhagen. Stromma charges DKK 80 in Copenhagen vs. SEK 200 in Stockholm. After I was done with my cruise, I saw an even cheaper cruise in Copenhagen - for just DKK 40!

Yeah I always go for free walking tours in the cities i visit. How much tips did you leave them?

SEK 175 is overly expensive for meatballs, no?

Yeah I've read somewhere that the busses don't accept cash nor sell tickets on board. Many people suggested trains are not necessary in Copenhagen because the attractions are mostly walking distance. I wonder if it's the same as Stockholm? I am a person who prefers to walk than taking the train. I'm still figuring out if there are many attractions that can be reached only by train from the city centre? I also learned that there's a 1 time ticket that's valid for about 75 minutes so you can ride as much as you like within this time frame before it expires.

Was the cruise worth it? DKK40 is quite a deal! Do you remember which cruise this was?

 

#23 1-11-2018 2:37 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1983

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

Hi Jen,

Boat cruise in the city centre in both countries are not worth it in winter time as it is grey, dark and cold.  Most of the times it is rain. and when it is foggy you can't see anything. but each to individual.

If you go cruising in Copenhagen, there are 2 cruise companis. the one closer to the harbour in Nyhan with the big anchor infront of it, charge more than the one further away.

Last edited by gingerbatik (1-11-2018 2:38 AM)

 

#24 1-11-2018 10:19 AM

hightide
Fay
Jakarta, Indonesia
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad
Posts: 694

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

trippin_jen wrote:

hightide wrote:

In my limited experience, I have found accommodation in Copenhagen to be much more expensive than in Stockholm. It cost me US$129 for one night at Generator Hostel private room in Copenhagen vs. US$94 for a single room at 4* Radisson Blu Royal Viking Hotel in Stockholm. Part of the reason could be due to Copenhagen imposing the regular 25% VAT on hotel stays whereas Stockholm imposes a 12% VAT on hotel stays.

Did you book through any booking sites or pay at the hotel? I think on booking.com or expedia, it's flat price inclusive of taxes. Still, I couldn't find any "reasonable" priced accommodation in Stockholm yet. They're all more expensive than Copenhagen. Could it be season?

hightide wrote:

Gamla Stan: I did a free walking tour. Found it interesting to learn about the history.

Sweden is famous for their Swedish meatballs. I dined at Kaffegillet (twice) at Gamla Stan. The entree cost SEK 175 and it was the best Swedish meatballs I have ever eaten. Was also pleasantly surprised they accepted Diner's Club as a form of payment.

Most shocking for me: The buses in Stockholm don't accept cash and they do not sell tickets on board! You would have to pre-buy a ticket or day pass at metro or train stations, the airport or convenience stores.

However, if you want to do 1 city cruise between Copenhagen and Stockholm, do it in Copenhagen. Stromma charges DKK 80 in Copenhagen vs. SEK 200 in Stockholm. After I was done with my cruise, I saw an even cheaper cruise in Copenhagen - for just DKK 40!

Yeah I always go for free walking tours in the cities i visit. How much tips did you leave them?

SEK 175 is overly expensive for meatballs, no?

Yeah I've read somewhere that the busses don't accept cash nor sell tickets on board. Many people suggested trains are not necessary in Copenhagen because the attractions are mostly walking distance. I wonder if it's the same as Stockholm? I am a person who prefers to walk than taking the train. I'm still figuring out if there are many attractions that can be reached only by train from the city centre? I also learned that there's a 1 time ticket that's valid for about 75 minutes so you can ride as much as you like within this time frame before it expires.

Was the cruise worth it? DKK40 is quite a deal! Do you remember which cruise this was?

I booked both the Generator Hostel in Copenhagen and Radission in Stockholm through hotels.com (US version). It would have been a few dollars cheaper had I booked directly at the respective hotel websites. However, I applied my hobby to these bookings:
1. I purchase hotels.com gift cards on Amazon, Ebay and directly through hotels.com website (owned by Expedia) when they run promotions. Typically, I hoard hotels.com gift cards when they are selling for 20% off face value.
2. I look through my e-mail inbox or google for a hotels.com discount code (they often give out generic 8-10% off codes).
3. I click through mrrebates.com to earn cash back (similar to shopback in Malaysia).
4. I search for hotel, pay with my hoarded gift card after inputting the discount code in No. 2.
In sum: On a stand alone hotel costing $100 after the 8-10% coupon code, I save $20 (as I bought the $100 gift card for $80) and earn ~$4 cash back from mrrebates. Sorry for the essay!

I booked a Sunday night stay in Stockholm, and Sunday nights are generally the cheapest day for hotel stays in Stockholm. What is your budget for "reasonable" in Stockholm? How many people in your party?

The 2 of us tipped US$2 together for the hour long Gamla Stan walking tour (the group had 20+ people).

Yes, SEK 175 is expensive for a plate of 10 meatballs + mash potato + raspberries, but it's in tourist area Gamla Stan big_smile Most of the patrons are tourists.

I agree trains are not necessary once you are in central Copenhagen. My only train ride was between CPH airport-Kongens Nytorv.

Stockholm's main sites are a little farther apart than Copenhagen's; however, I would say still not necessary for train rides if staying within the city centre. I took trains in Stockholm as I made way out of the city centre.

I just looked back at the photo. The DKK40 cruise name is Kanalrundfart? Refer to this photo:
http://www.travbuddy.com/photos/blogs/7155433

From your point of view, look to the right, far end. There is a blue colour board with a yellow rectangle within it with the words "ADULT 40KR CHILD 15KR"

 

#25 1-11-2018 8:41 PM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1094

Re: Copenhagen and/or Stockholm, February

hightide wrote:

It would have been a few dollars cheaper had I booked directly at the respective hotel websites.

I booked a Sunday night stay in Stockholm, and Sunday nights are generally the cheapest day for hotel stays in Stockholm. What is your budget for "reasonable" in Stockholm? How many people in your party?

The 2 of us tipped US$2 together for the hour long Gamla Stan walking tour (the group had 20+ people).

I agree trains are not necessary once you are in central Copenhagen. My only train ride was between CPH airport-Kongens Nytorv.

Stockholm's main sites are a little farther apart than Copenhagen's; however, I would say still not necessary for train rides if staying within the city centre. I took trains in Stockholm as I made way out of the city centre.

I just looked back at the photo. The DKK40 cruise name is Kanalrundfart? Refer to this photo:
http://www.travbuddy.com/photos/blogs/7155433

Oh ok, I was worried that if I choose to pay at the hotel instead of pre-booking, i will need to fork out extra for the Tax charges.

I was looking for single rooms with ensuite. It costs more expensive for such rooms in a hostel than in a normal hotel. By "reasonable", I mean similar prices to Copenhagen like USD 75 and below per night (for a decent size). The ones I saw in Stockholm seems claustrophobic and at a slightly more expensive rate.   Usually I don't mind shared bathroom but I reckon during winter I'd prefer an ensuite.

Thanks for the tips on the train and tipping amount. I may skip the cruise since Yuni said it's not advisable.


gingerbatik wrote:

Hi Jen,

Boat cruise in the city centre in both countries are not worth it in winter time as it is grey, dark and cold.  Most of the times it is rain. and when it is foggy you can't see anything. but each to individual.

If you go cruising in Copenhagen, there are 2 cruise companis. the one closer to the harbour in Nyhan with the big anchor infront of it, charge more than the one further away.

Thanks Yunni. I'm still contemplating if I should be booking the flights. Basically I'm "preparing an itinerary" before making any concrete bookings, just to be sure that everything falls within the budget. Also, while I love winter, I'm a bit worried if I will be able to stand it - especially when you said it's going to rain! Have you been in Seoul for Winter? Is the temperature in Copenhagen similar? If so I'd be able to make a comparison haha.  Rain is no fun even when in summer, so I wonder if rain is "guaranteed" end of February? (Rain = snow?)

There are many free walking tours which I'd like to join so it's gonna be a lot of outdoor walkings in Winter... burrrr....

Oh one more thing... will the roads be slippery and if it's advisable to wear shoe spikes?

Last edited by trippin_jen (1-11-2018 8:56 PM)

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB