#1 11-8-2017 11:41 PM

travelinggirl86
San Francisco, California
Couch Potato

pocket wifi

Hello! I'll go to Spain, Portugal, France & Germany with my friends.
1. Do you think it will be good to visit Spain at the end of November? I am asking because of the political situation problems.
2. We want to avoid roaming from our US mobile company. So, I heard about “Pocket Wifi�  to have internet in these countries. Does anyone have experience using it before?
Thanks!

#2 11-9-2017 12:35 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: pocket wifi

Most hotels and hostels and many cafes have free wifi.
If that is not enough and you have a unlocked smartphone (unlocking might cost about $ 10, legal in some countries, not leagal in others) get a Spanish prepaid SIM card.
In Barcelona and Catalonia there might be sometimes some small problems (like a blocked street or a short transportation strike), but not in the rest of Spain.

#3 11-9-2017 2:17 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Barcelona and the surrounding region may be a but difficult, from the point of view of strikes - in the last set of strikes many major attractions like the Sagrida Familia were shut, as well as almost all public transport.  But the rest of the country should be absolutely fine.  And that still leaves you with a stunning range of some of the most beautiful cities in Europe, especially inland Andalusia. 

Unless you're planning to work, I would rely on the wifi in cafes and public areas.  That will be perfectly adequate to check travel arrangements/tell Facebook you're alive/download reservations.

#4 11-9-2017 2:30 AM

travlnflyn_guy
Jeff
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster III
Nomad

Who do you have for phone service? If you have T-Mobile or Sprint you get free unlimited texting and data worldwide except in a few countries like North Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan and a few countries in Africa. Just pay for phone calls which are like 20 cents a min and you can even avoid that charge if your phone is "wifi calling" capable.

#5 11-9-2017 3:57 AM

es1418
Eric
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

If you have Verizon, then you can sign up for its TravelPass plan to use your domestic talk, text and data allowances in more than 100 countries for $10 per day. You're only charged for the days you actually use these features abroad. If you use free wifi when available, you might hardly ever use TravelPass.

Last edited by es1418 (11-9-2017 3:57 AM)

#6 11-9-2017 8:32 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Depends where in Spain you are going. The political uncertain situation in Catalonia maybe a problem for visitors at the moment. Spain is big you maybe interested to see some other cities where no politician problem like: Bilbao, Zaragoza, Santander, Valencia, San Sebastian and Seville- Andalucia is beautiful with its white houses

For wifi, you can buy a prepaid simcard but you need an unlocked phone. If you constantly used your wifi it will be expensive.

I see some posters above given you option of international roaming why not inform your telephone company before coming to Europe. Most hotel and hostels in Europe has free wifi

#7 11-13-2017 1:35 PM

wanderawr
Couch Potato

es1418 wrote:

If you have Verizon, then you can sign up for its TravelPass plan to use your domestic talk, text and data allowances in more than 100 countries for $10 per day. You're only charged for the days you actually use these features abroad. If you use free wifi when available, you might hardly ever use TravelPass.

AT&T has a similar feature and this is what I've started doing.

Last edited by wanderawr (11-13-2017 1:36 PM)

Board footer