#1 11-3-2017 3:46 PM

kuurt
Couch Potato

Do you need a passport to go from North America to South America?

I live in North America, but we're thinking about moving to South America (probably Ecuador).  Do you have to have a passport or anything? 

If so, how much does it cost and where do you get your passports?

#2 11-3-2017 4:44 PM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

Re: Do you need a passport to go from North America to South America?

North America isnt a country.  In the US you go to the post office.  https://www.usps.com/international/passports.htm

#3 11-3-2017 4:47 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Yes, you need a passport. If you live in US and are an American citizen, do as katzgar says.

#4 11-3-2017 5:13 PM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

I saw your other post that you're in Indiana.  In the US, you can get an application at any post office, any library, any city hall or simply print one from the web.   Or you can visit the passport authority in person, closest one to Indiana is in downtown Chicago.

#5 11-3-2017 5:47 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Absolutely you need a passport if travel to South America, you can't enter Ecuador without a passport. Also check the visa requirements, as tourist you only get 90 days, so I don't know what kind of visa you need for residency

#6 11-4-2017 12:53 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Yes aa shavy says, if you intend to live in Ecuador, it will be more complicated than just having a passport. The procedure will depend on your nationality. I know you said you live in Indiana but it is not clear that you are US cituzen.

As I mentioned in your other post, there are many retired Americans in Ecuador.  It seems to be an easy enough process if you are American.

You will need to get a passport and then contact your nearest Ecuadorean consulate.

#7 11-4-2017 1:26 AM

dimmedlights
Sightseer

Just because the poster resıdes ın ındıana doesnt necessarıly make hım/her usa cıtızen.
If he/she does not have a usa passport then the ındıvıdual can travel on theır foreıgn passport.

#8 11-4-2017 2:44 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

If you are planing to live in Ecuador you will need a passport and a visa, without it you can stay only 90 days per year.
http://www.ecuador.org/nuevosite/servic … isas_e.php
After you got your passport you have to fill out one of the following forms (depending which kind of visa you need, retired, worker, student etc., appearently US$ 450):
http://www.consuladovirtual.gob.ec/en/web/guest/visas

#9 11-4-2017 4:28 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

You need a passport and a visa. The passport you can apply for at the post office- the visa will depend on if you’re planning to work, how long you want to stay, and things like that. The best source of info is the embassy of the country you want to go to- check their website- and look for online forums for people who’ve moved there before (google ex pats and the country name).

You might not be granted a visa- just like the USA, each country has their own rules about what sort of people they let in and for how long. You may have to prove a certain amount of savings, or have certain skills, or things like that. We can’t tell you what those are so you need to do your own research.

You’re obviously at a very early stage in your planning. Personally, I think you should take a short trip there before you commit to moving. If you know so little about a country you don’t know if you need a passport, it might turn out to be a bit different from what you expect.

And remember living somewhere is different from visiting it as a traveller. Some of the ugliest cities can be the most fun once you get to know them, and beautiful cities with loads for a traveller can be hard to find work or have full lifestyles or just plain be too expensive in the long run. So look for advice from people living there, not just passing through, on where is nice, safe and affordable for the long run.

Last edited by sarahelaine (11-4-2017 4:29 AM)

#10 11-4-2017 5:01 AM

dimmedlights
Sightseer

there are a few countrıes that vısa ıs not requıred to enter
Ecuador.

#11 11-4-2017 6:14 AM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

dimmedlights wrote:

Just because the poster resıdes ın ındıana doesnt necessarıly make hım/her usa cıtızen.
If he/she does not have a usa passport then the ındıvıdual can travel on theır foreıgn passport.

If OP was not an American citizen, but living in US, I'm highly confident they would have already answered their question knowing that a passport is required to travel internationally.

#12 11-4-2017 11:34 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

dimmedlights wrote:

there are a few countrıes that vısa ıs not requıred to enter
Ecuador.

Having a Belgium passport we don't need a visa to enter Ecuador, but we do got stamped in our passort for 90 days staying in the country

#13 11-4-2017 4:59 PM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

I'm pretty sure that one always needs a passport when entering foreign countries. Visas not always.

#14 11-4-2017 8:04 PM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Tourist

jacobi wrote:

I'm pretty sure that one always needs a passport when entering foreign countries. Visas not always.

A technicality on this is that US citizens can use a passport "card" when traveling overland to all North American countries, most Caribbean and most Central American countries.   It is obtained simultaneously with a passport, but it is not a traditional passport book.  I've used mine maybe 7 times, just like flashing a drivers license.

#15 11-5-2017 12:43 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Globetrotter

Many members of this site would not need a visa to enter most countries for a short period as a tourist.  But if you intend to work in another country, a visa and/or work permit would often be required. If intending to spend a long time in a foreign ccountry, even without working, some kind of document  (visa, residence permit etc) would be required.

A passport is normally needed to visit a foreign country.

There are exceptions. Eg no passport normally required if travelling in Schengen area in Europe.  In EU, a national identity card can be used instead of passport.  Ireland does not have a national identity card but has recently introduced a passport card.  I and other Irish citizens can use this to travel in EU rather than carrying around a passport.

Also the visa, work permit requirements do not apply within the EU. I can live and work in any other EU country for as long as I like.

#16 11-5-2017 2:27 AM

Engineer9736
Richard
Veldhoven, Netherlands
Couch Potato

jacobi wrote:

If you have an EU passport you can travel with just an ID card within the whole EU, as a result of the Schengen Agreement. Maybe there are more situations like that around the globe.

But if you travel more than once in the three years, i would not even bother about Not getting a passport.

#17 11-5-2017 3:08 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

Engineer9736 wrote:

jacobi wrote:

If you have an EU passport you can travel with just an ID card within the whole EU, as a result of the Schengen Agreement. Maybe there are more situations like that around the globe.

But if you travel more than once in the three years, i would not even bother about Not getting a passport.

That is true, I travel around Europe 5 times, my Belgiun ID is sufficient for border control except in Russian Federation. Outside European destination a travel passport is required otherwise you can't bord the plane without passport

#18 11-5-2017 5:12 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Globetrotter

There's a lot of other European countries where a Belgian  national ID card is not sufficient including Turkey, Belarus, Ukraine, the Balkans too maybe.

#19 11-5-2017 5:38 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

fransglobal wrote:

There's a lot of other European countries where a Belgian  national ID card is not sufficient including Turkey, Belarus, Ukraine, the Balkans too maybe.

I've been to a few countries in the Balkans Francis, I have no problem with ID card only. My last visit to Turkey is quite a long time ago and ID card was good enough before.... Yes, recently as Belgian you need a passport to Turkey, and ID is not acceptable anymore

I'm going to Belarus next year flying to Minsk, yes I need to travel with my passort. Effectively july 2017 Belarus change their visa procedure - most visitors can stay in Belarus less than 5 days without visa

#20 11-5-2017 11:34 PM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

DaveSwede wrote:

dimmedlights wrote:

If OP was not an American citizen, but living in US, I'm highly confident they would have already answered their question knowing that a passport is required to travel internationally.

Exactly what I was thinking smile

Take sarahelaines advice and go visit first before moving!

#21 11-6-2017 8:12 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Yes to passport. Some countries in S. America require a visa, such as Brazil.

#22 11-6-2017 11:32 AM

matthew
Matthew
Nottingham, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

jacobi wrote:

Exactly.  The question begs belief

#23 11-6-2017 3:44 PM

davejo
david
Puerto Princesa City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

I think you should forget about visiting Ecuador as you would be completely lost since you don't appear to be street smart. Surely there would not be many people asking such a question.   And by the way in Ecuador they speak Spanish !!!

#24 11-6-2017 8:16 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer

Davejo , I am glad you said that......

#25 11-7-2017 5:38 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

davejo wrote:

I think you should forget about visiting Ecuador as you would be completely lost since you don't appear to be street smart. Surely there would not be many people asking such a question.   And by the way in Ecuador they speak Spanish !!!

Lol big_smile in Quito english is mostly spoken especially the young generation but outside the city if one don’t speak spanish would be difficult

Board footer