#1 10-17-2017 12:10 PM

Eric
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 169

Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

I usually travel alone and choose to stay at Airbnb homes. I stayed in a hostel only once, and that was with a large group of friends; we were the only ones there. Which type of lodging do you typically use when you travel, and why? Some of the reasons I use Airbnb include the following amenities:
Washer
Dryer
Full kitchen
Free Internet
Free Parking
Privacy

There's also the chance to get a nice place for very low per person cost if you travel with others.

#2 10-17-2017 1:15 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Wanderer
Posts: 493

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

I had  Airbnb 6 times, 5 where good 1 was a desaster which i would not have tolerated in a Hotel Hostel (with Airbnb everthing was allready payed and i didn't want to lose my money)
Washer only in 1 place
Dryer only in 1 place
Full kitchen only in 1 place
Free Internet not in 3 places (in Cuba)
Free Parking not in 4 places including Cuba
Privacy not in 3 places
Of course i selected the cheaper Airbnb's and was not expecting much
In Hotels you usually have privacy
Hostels are in general cheaper and in general better travel informations and alwise free wifi sometimes also washer
If you travel with others also Hotels are cheaper

Last edited by ulis (10-17-2017 1:19 PM)

#3 10-17-2017 1:43 PM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 343

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

For longer stays I like staying in an apartment. I have never used Airbnb, though - there are other ways to find them. Apartment does not necessarily equal Airbnb.
Hotels are fine if they are not too posh, but usually pricey. I dislike the faceless cheapo chain hotels.
In the survey I miss the mentioning of Bed and Breakfasts, inns, Pensionen, guesthouses, alberghi - whatever their name may be. The smaller, cheaper, simpler, usually locally owned alternatives to hotels.
I fear I have outgrown hostels long ago, though.

#4 10-17-2017 1:59 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1152

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

The only country where I stay in a hostel was in Iceland, as it is an expensive destination, my only option for cheap night is hostel. I also had a few airbnb in Iceland which was good

Basically, I prefer to stay in a hotel during my trip, but last year on our trip in Chile we mostly staying in Cabanas and hospedaje. Chile is most expensive destination in South America

And for our up coming trip to Colombia in December I book all hotels

Last edited by shavy (10-17-2017 2:08 PM)

#5 10-17-2017 3:09 PM

Black_wind
Martina
Bratislava, Slovakia
Posts: 27

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

Well, when you are broke student from "Eastern" Europe like me but still want to travel, hostels are the best bet. For me the price is the most important factor...I am only sleeping in the room anyway, doesn't need to be fancy. Also, I am solo travelling mostly and hostels are good place to meet other travellers. When the places are small enough, you can even have nice family atmosphere going on, I love that.
Or I go for guesthouses.

#6 10-17-2017 4:18 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Posts: 6048

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

These days, I want a private room. Ideally one with a private bathroom, but that’s not a must. But as more hostels offer private rooms than they used to, the line between a high end hostel and a cheap hotel is long blurred. Especially in cities with a big number of stag or hen dos- a cheap hotel full of British stag dos can be just as noisy as a party hostel. So I care far more about pictures of the room, what sort of other travellers I think are most likely to be there and location than whether it says hostel or hotel on the door (or B&B, hospedaje, guest house or anything else).

I rarely want an apartment. One exception was traveling with my baby, when he was small. It was handy to have access to a proper kitchen rather than drag him out to three meals a day, and he could get through more outfits than I could pack at the time. And sometimes when i’ve Been traveling with friends it’s been good to keep costs down by sharing a house or apartment and cooking together, buying in our own alcohol etc. But like people say, that doesn’t have to be Airbnb. Or even an apartment- I had a great mini break in a static caravan (trailer) with my sister. It even had a hot tub.

It depends on the trip, like everything else. In a perfect world i’d Like a private Geodome with a view of the stars, access to a hot tub, walking distance from a decent restaurant that’s somehow environment friendly too and preferably some interesting wildlife. But life doesn’t always work out like that!

Last edited by sarahelaine (10-17-2017 4:19 PM)

#7 10-17-2017 4:22 PM

vulindlela
Jeremy
Indianapolis, Indiana
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 10168

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

I prefer Airbnb, but will book whatever is the lowest price.

#8 10-17-2017 5:49 PM

dimmedlights
Sightseer
Posts: 84

Always ın hotel by marrıot , spg, & hyatt
they have all those amentıes , plus MORE.

#9 10-17-2017 6:27 PM

stefaniegreen
Stefanie
Jamestown, Pennsylvania
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Spambuster I
Sightseer
Posts: 67

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

I always prefer a hotel and that way I can I have my own space the other two you have to share space with strangers and I don't like that.

#10 10-17-2017 6:36 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Posts: 17663

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

All have their pluses and minuses. There are a lot of other options too including couchsurfing, guesthouses, B&B's, renting an apartment, camping, overnight train or bus.

My preference would be for a small guesthouse or hotel. But I like to try them all. I like to have my own room. Somewhere clean and quiet, at least quiet from 2300-0700 smile

#11 10-17-2017 8:04 PM

fransglobal wrote:

...In this and in other discussions, many people make certain assumptions particularly that all hotels are the same and that all hostels are the same. Also the assumption is made that hostels mean staying in a dorm with strangers and that hostels are cheaper than hotels, guesthouses etc.  None of these assumptions are universally true.

You're right about the assumptions and the fact that none are wholly true. I suppose we need to learn how to find lodgings that don't adhere to their categorical norms.

#12 10-18-2017 3:52 AM

hightide
Fay
Jakarta, Indonesia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 752

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

Have never stayed in an Airbnb, but between hotels and hostels, I prefer hotels. When travelling solo, my first choice is usually to search for 3* hotels in the city centre. Why 3*? When I go on holiday, my preference is to stay in a room that is slightly nicer than my room back home. If 3* hotels are beyond my budget, I compromise with a lower * hotel/consider staying farther from the city centre. My reasons for choosing hotels:
-Better cancellation/change date policies
-Hotels have never cancelled on me
-In and out anytime as I wish
-24h customer service

#13 10-18-2017 6:34 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 549

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

I have never used Airbnb, and I don't think I have ever stayed in a hostel.  I have stayed in hotels, motels, tourist cabins (where we had to use the bathroom in the gas station across the street), condos, and houses of relatives.  I have camped or spent the night on trains to save money.

Right now (at 80 years old) I have to have a private bathroom, and a place which either has an elevator or level access (no steps).  I do like to have some kind of kitchen.  A fridge and a microwave at least, because I don't like eating out all the time.  That's a way I can save money.  We have traveled using S/A condos.  If we stay in a condo off-season through the military it is very cheap.  The condos usually have a kitchen of some kind.  Some of them have laundry facilities. I try to pick ones which have free parking (if we are driving to them), and free internet.

As for hotels - I do not like the big fancy ones - the Hiltons, the Hyatts, the Marriots, and that kind of hotel.  They charge for stuff (breakfast, wi-fi, parking, fridge, microwave) which I can get for free from a mid-priced hotel. Some of them also have coin-op laundries

#14 10-19-2017 5:04 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 172

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

For me it depends on the trip I'm doing. When staying in a short stay city (4 or 5 days)Barcelona, Venice Lisbon, I don't mind taking an apartment, it's nice having your b'fast without having to scramble around looking for somewhere. On hiking trips there is generally only the b+b option except in larger towns, but I'll always go for the private bathroom too, even paying a bit more for the privilege. At my age I certainly will never use a hostel, unless it has private rooms. All that snoring, burping and etc etc in a dorm room is not my idea of a restful night.

#15 10-19-2017 9:47 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Posts: 1152

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

I also like apartments with kitchen and free wifi and parking. We staying in apartment for a week during our trip in Malta. For short break in a city I prefer a hotel which is walking distance to public transport I don't mind if not in a center as long as there is public transportation nearby

Last edited by shavy (10-19-2017 9:48 AM)

#16 10-19-2017 1:39 PM

tenaka
Shane
Chicago, Illinois
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 168

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

For myself I would rank the options as follows:

1. Hotel - Mainly because it is the most hassle-free and worry-free, and offers the most privacy in case I desire it. While there can always be surprises, I feel like I am most likely to know exactly what I am getting and have the least likelihood of running into a problem when I stay in a hotel. But I do regularly also choose one of the next two options because of the advantages they can have.

2. B&Bs - I do enjoy the atmosphere, the home cooked meals, and the interactions. But I can be moody and am often NOT in a sociable mood. So i wouldn't want to always be in a B&B because they tend to lend themselves to social interactions whether you want them or not. But I have had mostly great experiences in them and try to make one a part of any trip that has multiple stops.

3. AirBnB - When I choose to stay this way, it tends to be either because I couldn't find a place to stay in the neighborhood I wanted or more accurately because I cannot find a reasonably priced place to stay in that neighborhood. I do definitely take advantage of the kitchen and laundry options when I stay in an apartment this way, a perk i largely wouldnt have in a hotel. But other things make me look elsewhere first. I had someone cancel me the day before I was supposed to arrive with no explanation, I once stayed somewhere where AirBnB was illegal but didn't know until after the fact and now I always worry whether or not its really OK. So while its a very good option, these little things that are unlikely potential issues give it just enough of a downgrade where its not the first thing I look at.

4. Hostel - I've never actually stayed in one. I'm not opposed to it, but like many others I would be completely incapable of sleeping in a dorm. And whenever I have looked at private rooms in hostels they have been pretty pricey, to the point where I was just better off in a hotel.

#17 10-19-2017 7:36 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Posts: 549

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

Sleeping with other people does not particularly bother me.  I have, after all, been sleeping with my husband for 58 years off and on (the off part when he was deployed or I was in the hospital).  It is the access to the bathroom that is important.

#18 10-19-2017 7:44 PM

cheeze213
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 39

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

Tried all of them. No preference. I'll choose whatever that offers the best value and fits the mood.

#19 10-22-2017 10:49 AM

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

I've recently been checking out Hostelling International, and I like its low prices, reception desk, kitchen, free wireless, and the presence of other travelers. It seems to have many of the features of hotels and Airbnbs which I preferred. I need to stay in one to see how much I enjoy sleeping in what are essentially barracks, but if that goes well hostels might become my go to lodging preference.

#20 10-22-2017 6:11 PM

Lotus28
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1996

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

I don't really care if my accommodation is categorized as hotels or hostels.

When I am searching accommodations to book, I just consider what is my requirement... recently I mostly travel with a toddler so I prefer having coin laundry (and kitchen when we travel abroad) that I can use and have bigger space so that our kid can play around.
When we went to Taipei last month, (it may be surprising to some people) the accommodation that met our criteria the most was a big family room in a hostel. Their complimentary amenities were very simple but they did have what we exactly wanted and we were quite happy to stay there. So we will never kick hostels out of our choices and it can always be one of the options.

On the other hand, I am a bit turned down to use airbnb especially with our kid. Overall my experience was positive so far but it has still has some uncertainties.
Checking their terms and conditions, they're not really liable to any legal issues related to vacation rentals and it's just left to hosts who may be just an offshore business owners and the entities may not be well maintained. Or even if they're following the laws relevant to vacation rentals, they may be breaching the contract by subletting etc (I know some hosts who did this and got kicked out by their landlords while they were having their guests from airbnb in person).
And entities on airbnb don't keep our luggage before check-in/after check out so I am not happy about that especially with a big bag full of kids stuff! (I love packing extremely light but it doesn't apply when I am with a toddler.)

#21 10-23-2017 2:13 AM

surfoz
Perth, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Posts: 922

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

Pretty much hotel only these days - I'm way too much of a princess for dorms anymore, but in a pinch will take a pvt room at a hostel with shared bathrooms etc.

#22 10-24-2017 9:11 AM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 147

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

I like to hostel as it is usually cheaper and I have other stuff I'd rather spend my money on. I don't mind sleeping in dorm rooms as I'm one of those people who never really sleeps well in any bed but my own so I wouldn't get any better sleep in a hotel room. Also, as I usually travel solo it gives me a better opportunity to meet people to hang out with.

If I was doing a long trip (more than a month) I would most likely intersperse the odd hotel night stay when I've had enough peopleing and need some quiet time.

When I travel with friends we usually hotel or Air BnB.

#23 10-24-2017 11:38 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 147

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

I only stay in hotels. I am too old for the lack of privacy in a hostel. Airbnb is far too much liability. Do you really know who all has a copy of your key? Because people are buying up apartments to sell on Airbnb, which is illegal, it is driving up the cost of living for those in the area. Do you know they are paying the taxes on your room? And are you going to be accused of stealing or breaking something in someone's home? Nope, I don't even allow it as an option at work.

#24 10-24-2017 5:59 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1673

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

I have used Airbnb a ton of times and use hostels less and less and less. I still use an occasional hotel if the price is right and it is in the right location. A hotel works out better if I am with someone else. I review Airbnb hosts usually thoroughly before I choose. My worst experiences were not even bad in reality. Only one or two out of over twenty had wifi issues and one had a shower problem though the hot water worked and I bathed like I did on some islands by pouring water over me with a bucket. I have been in some shite hotels that were horrid and my Airbnb experiences thus far have been better than my hostel experiences by far and a little better than my hotel experiences based on price points.

In all of them I have been able to wash, rest , and relax easily and come and go as I please. It is all how you choose and how they choose you. I don't mind being in someone's home as it is usually clean with good amenities and clean bathrooms because they live there. As far as paying their taxes et al, that is no concern of mine. I do believe that every person has the right to entertain guests in a property they own and charge if they want. In many cities I have been to the gentrification happening has everything to do with richer people pushing out poorer while the property is cheaper. The area becomes more affluent, and people rent out rooms in their homes, and apartments. Airbnbs are not usually popular in slums. I almost always stay in the home of someone living there. I have have almost all good experiences. Some small hotels do advertise on Airbnb too and I have stayed in some.

Last edited by Sept922 (10-27-2017 4:26 PM)

#25 10-28-2017 2:03 AM

patrickjake
Posts: 29

Re: Airbnb vs Hotel vs Hostel - Which do you prefer, and why?

Airbnb. I like my own place with washer and kitchen. I've considered private rooms in hostels, but so far every time I've compared prices Airbnb has been the same or cheaper price. I also feel a bit more immersed in the culture when I'm in a regular neighborhood versus area with hostels/ hotels.
Also I fear looking like the creepy old dude.

Board footer