#1 10-12-2017 4:06 AM

es1418
Eric
Bowie, Maryland
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 137

For what things are you willing to pay more when you travel?

Today I was considering purchasing an upgraded airline seat for an 8-hour flight, but I find it hard to part with more than three times the price of an economy ticket for a bit more leg room, even though I have long legs and would definitely benefit from the extra space. This got me thinking about the things I’m willing to pay a premium for when I travel – I’m relatively new to traveling and a minimalist to boot, so I have yet to learn this about myself.

How about you? Which things are you willing to skimp on when you travel, and on which aspects of traveling will you pay higher prices?

#2 10-12-2017 4:17 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Posts: 349

Re: For what things are you willing to pay more when you travel?

Sometimes i pay more for nice food, If i have a very long distance bus trip and there are different qualities of buses i might pay more for that (but some companies claim it's a deluxe bus and then it is't) and in a night train i buy a couchette if available.

#3 10-12-2017 4:38 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: For what things are you willing to pay more when you travel?

I agree with Uli on overnight travelling, whether it be bus, train or boat, certainly worth the extra money for a lay down and a reasonable nights sleep.

#4 10-12-2017 5:21 AM

Re: For what things are you willing to pay more when you travel?

Back in the day, I did not pay extra for much.  I did everything as cheaply as possible.  (Although as a lone female I did not hitchhike).  We camped in the National Parks (in tents).  I looked for things to do which were free.  I sat up overnight on the train.  My father actually joined a group so that I could go on a charter flight more cheaply.

When I was traveling through Paris in 1964, I had dinner on a train in the dining car which cost 24 NF.  My total outlay for food up to that point had been $1.50 and I wrote:

I felt I owed it to myself to have something besides coke, coffee an orange and a train ham sandwich while in France.

Now I need more in the way of creature comforts.  I need A/C.  I need someone to carry the baggage for me (I can not get along anymore with just a carry-on bag).  And I pay extra for First or Business Class on an overnight flight that is more than 8 hours (i.e. not just a red-eye of a couple of hours across the country).  But I rarely pay a lot for food.  I have no problem eating in fast food places.  I still look for free or cheap things to do although I can't go treking or take the option to walk to places rather than take a cab.

I still have the economy mind-set, but my body no longer follows along quietly smile

#5 10-12-2017 6:09 AM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Sightseer
Posts: 70

Re: For what things are you willing to pay more when you travel?

I'll pay the inflated prices for food and beverages at the airport.

#6 10-12-2017 6:23 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 812

Re: For what things are you willing to pay more when you travel?

I also spend more on food and sometimes I would like to stay in a 4-5 star hotel, and on the last day maybe shopping I love to buy local brands

#7 10-12-2017 7:37 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I

Re: For what things are you willing to pay more when you travel?

After my ankles blew up on a long flight I started to upgrade my seat, being short, I can then get my foot tucked up under me and not have them hanging as long.

I also do not stay in the cheapo motels. I do want the clean and safety of a brand name hotel.

After a wild ride with a cab with two of the sales people I sent out, I have been getting them more ground transportation. The cab ride should have been about $35. But the driver in Chicago took them through every sleezy neighborhood so they could not get out of the cab and turned it into a $122 ride.

#8 10-12-2017 8:02 AM

stacey72
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 120

Re: For what things are you willing to pay more when you travel?

We usually do things as cheaply as possible. For us, a hotel is a hotel anywhere you go and as long as it’s clean and safe we’re happy. I’m willing to spend a bit more for our own space, so we don’t go with hostels. I aim for direct flights when I can. We are happy with fast food or moderately priced restaurants and we enjoy going to grocery stores and finding stuff for a picnic and that is usually pretty cheap and fun.
The only thing I’d be willing to spend a bit more on would be a special souvenir. Normally we stick with fridge magnets, but in Germany we bought a clock and in Venice we bought a mask. Even then we didn’t go crazy, but we did spent more than usual. We’d also be willing to pay more if there was something really unique to experience.

#9 10-12-2017 9:02 AM

Re: For what things are you willing to pay more when you travel?

I stay at Hampton Inns if there is one available.  I don't try to find the absolute cheapest hotel (Motel 8 or the equivalent) because I find the noise levels and comfort levels vary in those places.  I like the Hampton Inns because they have a good and free breakfast, and free parking, and I think that makes up for the slight extra that I might pay over other cheaper hotels.

I do not like to stay in the big name hotels like the Hilton - they have higher rates and they CHARGE for stuff like breakfast, wi-fi and parking which is free at the Hampton Inns.  I am having to stay at a Double-Tree in San Pedro in two weeks and they don't have free wi-fi or free breakfast.  And there does not appear to be anything nearby for me to go and get anything.

I have had travel agents say that the hotels don't have any charm or local color, but I will take convenient over charm any day.

Last edited by grandmar (10-12-2017 9:03 AM)

#10 10-12-2017 10:34 AM

Andy99
Andrew
Springfield, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 2422

Re: For what things are you willing to pay more when you travel?

Premium Economy for the additional leg room is a must.

Other than a glass of wine, I don't drink, so I save on that. smile

#11 10-12-2017 11:08 AM

vulindlela
Jeremy
Indianapolis, Indiana
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 9797

Re: For what things are you willing to pay more when you travel?

I will always pay for convenience

#12 10-12-2017 11:29 AM

Engineer9736
Richard
Veldhoven, Netherlands
Couch Potato
Posts: 2

Re: For what things are you willing to pay more when you travel?

About two weeks ago on my way to and from Curacao, an 8.5 hour flight from Amsterdam, i had economy on the way to there, and comfort class on the way back. It made the difference between being able to sleep or not, and if you put yourself in a bit more expensive environment, the people around you will also be a bit more classy, which often results in less whining around you about all kind of things and so  :-)

I checked afterwards on the airline website, a return economy flight was 500 euros, and a return comfort class about 800 euros. Next time i will definitely spend the 300 extra.

Same story for resorts.. don't go for the cheapest. But it depends on what you are able to spend of course.

#13 10-12-2017 12:28 PM

osgoodst
steve
Chicago, Illinois
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1154

Re: For what things are you willing to pay more when you travel?

For flights up front, obviously I am not going to spend $5000 for a business class seat for an 8 hour flight.  However if I can upgrade for much less I will do it.  Did that early this year on my iceland trip to Saga Class for about $200 and totally worth it.

I usually will spend more if it is something unique. Case in point as a pub I'll get a fancy cocktail if it something I can't get at home, but not $7 for a heineken except for when I lived in Dubai.

#14 10-12-2017 1:14 PM

tenaka
Shane
Chicago, Illinois
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 157

Re: For what things are you willing to pay more when you travel?

As a tallish person I also look at the seat upgrades. but I wont/cant pay the business or first class rates so I am only looking at the premium economy seats for a few extra inches. It makes a major difference on a long flight. I dont get it every time but whenever it seems reasonable. Like 10% of the flight cost assuming I didnt use miles for the flight.

Since I couldn't sleep on a plane even if I had already been awake 80 consecutive hours, I'll also pay a few dollar extra to make sure that I am arriving at a time where by the time I have my luggage I can go check into my hotel and sleep/nap. I'll rigorously avoid the 9am arrivals. Usually we're talking 20-50 more for a round trip ticket overseas.

Food I do a lot of the opposite, eating as cheaply as I can while still having good food. So I avoid expensive restaurants, airport food, or any stands next to a tourist destination whenever I can. I might splurge on one meal during a week stay somewhere.

Mostly I'll save on where I stay as well. But I do try to find a way to splurge on one nicer hotel per trip especially at the end of a trip if it isnt too outrageous. On a two week trip this might mean budget hotels the first 11 days and then a 3 night stay at a 4 star hotel. But I dont do that every time, only when that 4 star hotel isnt going to totally blow my budget.

#15 10-12-2017 1:26 PM

Re: For what things are you willing to pay more when you travel?

I pay extra abroad for entrance to museums (it's generally free in the UK) and attractions - no point going abroad then refusing to pay to see the main events.

I also pay extra for food, compared to some people here.  Food is half the reason I travel, so although I rarely eat at very expensive places I'm also not going to go somewhere and live on supermarket noodles or anything.  Food's not everyone's thing but it's a big deal for me.

Hotels it depends on the trip and the company.  On my own I'll stay in a cheap B&B or guest house, but not a hostel dorm- far too old for that and I want to sleep.  With the husband it's either a $5 guest house or somewhere really upmarket - just rarely in the middle.  With my child or my mother we'll be in the bottom of the mid market - somewhere like an Ibis or a Premier Inn - because I need a certain degree of predictability.

Flying, especially flying alone, I rarely pay for extra leg room - there are some bonuses to being short.  Alone or with the husband, I rarely book any extras at all.  If I have the toddler with me then I'll often pre book meals (where that's an optional extra) and I'll always book hold baggage because if you don't have kids you wouldn't believe the amount of extra stuff they need - nappies alone are a couple of extra kg.  And I won't book the inconvenient but cheap flight anymore.  I'll happily pay extra for the direct flight/short but sensible layover and the civilised flight times rather than the flight that leaves at stupid o'clock or involves a five hour layover in some regional hub somewhere.

#16 10-12-2017 1:56 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 812

sarahelaine wrote:

Each of us travel differently, I don't like paying museums. I'm going abroad to explore the country not on museums big_smile

#17 10-12-2017 2:30 PM

tenaka
Shane
Posts: 157

Re: For what things are you willing to pay more when you travel?

I guess it didn't occur to me that paying a museum fee would be considered extra. I'll certainly pay entrance fees for places I am interested in visiting.

#18 10-12-2017 4:11 PM

lauro
Germany
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 4122

Re: For what things are you willing to pay more when you travel?

i travel cheaply - camping, sleeping on cars, buying food in supermarkets etc.

but im willing to shell money alot riding cable cars / mountain trains that takes me directly to high altitude so i could immediately start hiking above the treeline specially in the alps.

the one thing that i paid the most was that when i trekked in the himalayas in nepal - i trekked alone and hired a mountain guide and a porter, so i paid 2x the price because its a  minimum trek for two.

#19 10-12-2017 5:26 PM

shavy wrote:

sarahelaine wrote:

I love museums, but I mostly go to free ones.  If they are not free I really assess whether I want to pay the money.  I wouldn't pay $14.00 to see the mid-century modern quarters in Key West where Harry Truman stayed (the Little  White House) because I'm mid century modern myself and that era holds no interest for me.  But I will happily pay for the East Martello Tower Museum, Audubon House, the Wreckers Museum, and the Aquarium.  I've been to some of them twice.

As for exploring the country - I do that too, but even under the best conditions when I was younger, I was not one to go on hikes.

#20 10-12-2017 6:57 PM

shavy wrote:

sarahelaine wrote:

Well, yes.  Some people hate museums and it would be a bloody boring world if we all travelled the same way.

But for me it's part of exploring the country.  I hike too (in fact National Park admittance and guides where compulsory are other costs I don't have at home), and I spend time wandering about.  But a good museum helps that for me, especially as I rarely hire tour guides.  Going to the Museum of East Asian Civilisation in Singapore meant I knew what the gods and goddesses were in the New Year Parades a week later in Kuching, and visiting the War Remnants Museum in HCMC was good for understanding the scars of the Vietnam War in southern Vietnam - a lot better than half remembered American War Films were. In the UK I don't need that because I can look at a church, say, and I know who the bloke on the cross is and why he's important - my grasp of the Ramayana isn't quite as instinctive, so it helps to have a quick refresher on why the Monkey King was defeating a demon in that carving.  So I don't view them as separate activities - I view it as a better way to understand what I'm looking at.  Please don't think I'm spending the entire trip in somewhere like the Louvre or the British Museum, which I also love, but are basically vast store houses for stuff Europe stole over the centuries!

And there were travbuddies on this site (although I haven't seen them in a while) who used to go to places like Cambodia and then refuse to pay the "rip off" entrance to Angkor Watt because it was "just for tourists" - that strikes me as a shame.

#21 10-12-2017 7:12 PM

grandmar wrote:

I know what you mean.

If it gives you a laugh, a few years ago I wandered into a museum out of the rain (you can do that in britain because they are often free, and it rains a lot), and there was a display of life in a typical home in the late 1970s/early 1980s, totally surrounded by women roughly my age going "that can't be in a museum, we had one of those when I was a kid!"

#22 10-12-2017 8:28 PM

Lotus28
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1958

Re: For what things are you willing to pay more when you travel?

Due to limitation of my vacation time and I can only take it during peak traveling time, I tend to pay more for the airfare to make the travel duration shorter (shorter routes, less/shorter layover).
And in order to make full use of time during my travel, I also don't hesitate to pay a bit more to fly rather than taking ground transportation when it works better to me.

Now I'm mostly traveling with a baby, I tend to be more picky to choose accommodation (i.e: bigger room so that baby can exercise, bigger bed for us to share a bed with, with a kitchen and laundry we can use etc). It doesn't necessarily increase the expense (last time we stayed at a family room in a hostel in Taipei and it was really excellent and great value) but I am happy to pay a bit extra for our baby's comfort. If I am traveling alone, I am totally fine with any accommodation as long as it's clean and safe.

For activities, I don't hesitate to pay for what I really want to go including museum. Experience wins over money for me too. But I don't visit the sites just because it's famous and I may not visit one if I don't feel like visiting.

As for food, I'm happy to eat at places where locals eat and I am not keen on visiting Michelin starred restaurants. Though I love craft beer and would love visiting some bars where beer geeks gather for a good brew. I am happy to pay extra to enjoy a couple of glasses.

#23 10-12-2017 9:19 PM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 165

Re: For what things are you willing to pay more when you travel?

I would pay more for a direct flight, as opposed to a connection with a change, if I have the choice. A change of flight is an inconvenience and, worse, always bears the risk to lose a connection because of a delay on the first leg, which can easily cost a day of vacation.

#24 10-13-2017 7:01 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1312

Kathrin_E wrote:

Had that happen on my last trip, had to spend a day in Vienna instead of Yerevan (could have been worse smile) might consider paying extra for a direct flight next time

#25 10-13-2017 7:28 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I

Andy99 wrote:

Premium Economy for the additional leg room is a must.

Other than a glass of wine, I don't drink, so I save on that. smile

On Delta, the wine is free with premium economy

Board footer