#1 10-11-2017 4:45 AM

Kathmandu1
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 339

Do you believe in Lonely Planet Travel Guide!?

Here is what I have found the link about most valued travel destinations in the world. Its interesting at all to get the travel related information.

Tks
San

#2 10-11-2017 5:12 AM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 297

Re: Do you believe in Lonely Planet Travel Guide!?

Travel guides can contain useful information but the problem is they represent a fixed point in time.  Given the varied ways people travel I am not convinced a given travel guide is useful to all those styles. Lonely Planet is a cliquish group of largely older travelers and is in the process of imploding as the world moves to the internet.

#3 10-11-2017 8:01 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 959

Re: Do you believe in Lonely Planet Travel Guide!?

I always travel with Lonely Planet book and they are useful in my opinion, for example if I need a restaurant or hotel room I always find some places of where to go

#4 10-11-2017 9:11 AM

Re: Do you believe in Lonely Planet Travel Guide!?

Was just lucking at their Venice bargain chapter (know Venice faily well), the advise is quite good

#5 10-11-2017 9:12 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 134

Re: Do you believe in Lonely Planet Travel Guide!?

I have an AAA membership, so I can get their travel guides for free.

#6 10-11-2017 9:19 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5999

Re: Do you believe in Lonely Planet Travel Guide!?

Depends on the destination. In South East Asia I found them very good- in Uganda Footprints was better. Some cities in Europe do better on Fodor. Rough Guide tend to be my least favourite. And they’re all better if you remember they’re just that- a GUIDEbook. You have to know prices will change, the perfect quiet corner will get busier once it’s been featured, and the writers have biases. You read them for ideas but i’d never view them as a bible. I tend to use them to inspire the google searches.

#7 10-11-2017 11:19 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 144

Re: Do you believe in Lonely Planet Travel Guide!?

Quite right Sarah, good for ideas, not follow them to the letter. Also remember that most guides are partly out of date by the time they get to the shelf by up to two years in some cases. For people who read French the "Petit Futé" guides are not bad, city guides more up to date than area or country guides.

#8 10-11-2017 7:41 PM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Sightseer
Posts: 85

Re: Do you believe in Lonely Planet Travel Guide!?

"I have an AAA membership, so I can get their travel guides for free."

Don't they publish only United States guidebooks? I agree that they are very helpful.

#9 10-11-2017 9:14 PM

Re: Do you believe in Lonely Planet Travel Guide!?

AAA does publish guidebooks for other places like the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada.

There is almost nothing that is completely up-to-date, whether printed or on the internet.  Restaurants go out of business or are sold and come back with a new name - there are several restaurants up in town a mile from me that have had three or four different names and cuisine types in the past 20 years.  Even the internet is sometimes a little bit behind, and whether the people that give advice on travel sites like this one are accurate depends a lot on how old the information is.  Mountains and Rivers mostly stay the same, but bridges, train schedules, and hotels can change.  Even someone that travels extensively and continually like Rick Steves (or in the old days Temple Fielding - anyone remember him?) is going to occasionally be OTBE

The LP is as good as some.  The problem with it is that how good it is depends on the editor for the specific country.  I thought the Costa Rica guide was very good.  Haven't used the others.

#10 10-11-2017 9:21 PM

davejo
david
Puerto Princesa City, Philippines
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi I
Posts: 113

Re: Do you believe in Lonely Planet Travel Guide!?

For decades i relied on the LP, but during the last few years i believe that Rough Guide for Myanmar, Philippines, and Thailand are much better than the LP. I always purchase a guidebook 6 months before any trip, read through it twice, taking notes of possible places to visit. Then i do more research on the internet and make my final itinerary. I usually use booking.com for accommodation but research on all the sites and look at the reviews. I then print my detailed itinerary as well as transferring it to my Android Tablet. Last month i took my LP to Japan but probably only pulled it out of my bag twice.

#11 10-12-2017 7:39 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 134

milestx wrote:

"I have an AAA membership, so I can get their travel guides for free."

Oh no, they publish all kinds of books all over.

#12 10-12-2017 9:12 AM

Re: Do you believe in Lonely Planet Travel Guide!?

I really like the AAA books for the USA because they have all the quirky little places that the main tourist hordes have never heard of.  I mean who knew that there was an Ava Gardner Museum in North Carolina?  I don't think the guides for the Caribbean are as good.

I don't use a guide for hotels anymore, and I think except for the Destination restaurants that restaurant recommendations are virtually useless.  You get hungry, you look around and find a place to eat where you are, and go and eat.  I have wasted so much time and gotten SO Hungry, trying to track down a place that some guide or the internet says is a place to eat and either it has closed (as in out of business) when I get there or else I can never find it.  There are places in the US where there are no restaurants for considerable stretches (such as the area around Hatteras off season), and I do try to account for that so that we don't need to eat lunch there.

#13 10-12-2017 12:27 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1673

Re: Do you believe in Lonely Planet Travel Guide!?

15 years ago in SE Asian LP guides were everywhere with young people from teens to 30's. So to say it is a cliquish group of older travelers I don't full agree with. Things only really changed after the BBC purchased them and in 2013 and they have been sold again, and at the time a 24 year old recent grad was put at the helm.. I think of books like Fodor's for older crowds. Although many of us use maps like google on our smart phones and such, I still like to read through LP guides, even though I do scan the Trip Wolf app and use many up to date sites for info. LP's still give me good advice on routes and crowds and areas of town. That really doesn't change overnight between guides that much. I try to use the most recent one published. I find that even two years out the main things are still the same. Areas of town that are rich compared to newer trendy up and coming places in big cities are still similar enough that the guidebook is useful to me. It is good airplane reading also. My recent trip to Spain and Morocco was the first trip that I hardly opened my guide book as so much info was available to me through free maps and offline guides.

Last edited by Sept922 (10-12-2017 12:38 PM)

#14 10-14-2017 3:39 AM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 164

Re: Do you believe in Lonely Planet Travel Guide!?

Like many others I used to swear by the LP guidebooks and even contributed to their website for some years.  However, as I travelled more I found out from people I trust in various countries some of the practices of a few of their "star" writers which are nothing short of appalling.  When they were overseen by the Wheelers they were a great travel resource but now they are not to be trusted for any sort of impartial information.  There are a number of other reasons why I have disassociated myself from the brand as have many other very experienced travellers I know but I do not intend to bore the reader with them here.

I have not bought an LP guide nor looked at it's website (sections of which were closed for a time for paedophile activity) for many years and never will again.

#15 10-14-2017 3:52 AM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 297

Sept922 wrote:

15 years is a long long time in terms of travel.

#16 10-14-2017 5:16 AM

planxty wrote:

..I found out from people I trust in various countries some of the practices of a few of their "star" writers which are nothing short of appalling.  When they were overseen by the Wheelers they were a great travel resource but now they are not to be trusted for any sort of impartial information.  ...

Just a personal opinion.

That is what I meant when I said that how good or effective a guide the LP is, depends on the person who writes it in that country.

Back in the 1960s and 1970s (before there was such a thing as LP), I would do a kind of travel guide for my husband (traveling in the Navy) and parents.  I would get all the travel guides out of the library and (without a computer or anything like spell-check) I would type the consolidated information up on onionskin paper and mail it to them (airmail) in various places.  For my husband, I had a little guide put out by TWA with a couple of pages on each country, and when he was deployed, I would underline the parts that I wanted him to pay attention to (like things to buy).  It's still a very interesting book for some places.

My parents took a bus tour of Spain, Portugal and Morocco.  The bus was to have had A/C, and it didn't.  And there was a guide, but not a good one.  I had gone over the route that they were taking and I typed up information on the things they might see and hotels they might stay in and places they might eat and things they might like to buy.  The guide was so bad that my mother read what I wrote to the other passengers.

I used mostly the three F''s  (Fodor, Fielding and Frommer) but also sometimes Myra Waldo, Michelin and the little TWA book and anything else I could find.

When we were traveling on our boat (2000-2004), we had the equivalent in guides for the Intercoastal Waterway.  I would read the information from Clayborne Young's books aloud to Bob (travel by boat is very very slow) and his books were the best for including not only marinas and places to anchor but also local history.

I am completely unable to read a guidebook in an airport or on an airplane.  It just does not hold my attention.

#17 10-14-2017 5:59 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1978

Re: Do you believe in Lonely Planet Travel Guide!?

use the lonely planet for basic information what to do and see but not stick to it.
The hotels and restaurants guide was completely off.  I prefer check through the internet than use LP for this.

#18 10-14-2017 1:14 PM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Posts: 164

Re: Do you believe in Lonely Planet Travel Guide!?

Quote, "The hotels and restaurants guide was completely off."

I realise that I can only speak for one region of one continent but if the LP "model" is carried on worldwide then your statementis hardly surprising as you only get a mention if you are "bunging" the so-called expert writers.  End of story.  LP has long since been discredited amongst anyone who knows even a little of how they operate.

#19 10-14-2017 7:39 PM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 161

Re: Do you believe in Lonely Planet Travel Guide!?

Not to say I don't agree with any other posts, but I do mimic Fergy's opinions on almost all accounts.  I was traveling with a girlfriend many years ago and she had a LP in her bag.  We took turns reading it and trying to put it to use.  Complete waste of time and wound up just being a dead weight in our bag - we gave it away after 10 days.  There was nothing in there that I had not already found on my own, or more importantly by just taking a few minutes and actually interacting with a local - that to me is the entire point of traveling.

& for the record, the only publisher that I did not see mentioned above that I may actually recommend would be Moons guide, it is the best for Korea.

#20 10-14-2017 9:27 PM

travlnflyn_guy
Jeff
United States
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster III
Nomad
Posts: 637

Re: Do you believe in Lonely Planet Travel Guide!?

Travel blogs folks.... Even if their travels weren't recent, the information I get from travel blogs are way better than any book. Do a "travel blog" search for any country, city or place and dozens of websites will come up. I find reading first hand accounts motivating and very useful.

#21 10-14-2017 10:10 PM

davejo wrote:

The LP guidebooks where good until about 2009 (if you find them in used book shops or online they are still good), after that they didn't show the cheap accomodations etc.

#22 10-14-2017 10:17 PM

grandmar wrote:

planxty wrote:

Just a personal opinion.

I did know the Fieldings, Austria autor (until the 90s), he was a nice older American journalist living in Vienna, every year he made a phone call to all the hotels and restauants listed at Fieldings, Austria for updating the prices and that was all.

#23 10-15-2017 5:58 AM

ulis wrote:

I did know the Fieldings, Austria author (until the 90s), he was a nice older American journalist living in Vienna, every year he made a phone call to all the hotels and restauants listed at Fieldings, Austria for updating the prices and that was all.

I think originally Temple Fielding did more than that. But his travel style was not mine - he wanted a well made dry martini, a gourmet meal and a nice hotel, and he didn't give much space to things to see.  He did mainly Europe, and by the 1970s he was having other people do the research for him.  His books were interesting to read, even if the skill of the bartender didn't matter at all to me.

#24 10-15-2017 6:37 PM

dimmedlights
Sightseer
Posts: 84

Absolutely not.

#25 10-15-2017 7:12 PM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1083

Re: Do you believe in Lonely Planet Travel Guide!?

I've never actually used Lonely Planet books. They are extra weight to carry and you can get more updated and widespread information online.

Board footer