#1 10-10-2017 2:19 PM

es1418
Eric
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

German Christmas markets - are they all basically the same?

I was considering spending a few weeks visiting the Christmas markets in several German cities this year - Frankfurt, Munich, Berlin, etc. However, is it worthwhile to do so? Or is visiting one Christmas market good enough?

#2 10-10-2017 5:53 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Re: German Christmas markets - are they all basically the same?

Is your only interest the markets or are you interested in the cities they are in? Germany only unified in the late 19th century, and each of those cities has its own unique history, beautiful architecture, regional food and beer, and non-market attractions. Personally there’s only so many days in Christmas shopping crowds I could bear in actual markets but nowhere does Christmas as well as Germany and I’d jump at the chance to explore the actual cities.

#3 10-10-2017 10:55 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Big German towns have more then 1 Christmas market, and they will differ from each other, but all will have Glühwein (mulled wine).
https://www.momondo.at/inspiration/die- … utschland/

#4 10-10-2017 11:50 PM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

To me they are not alike. Most cities and regions have their particular traditions. But it depends, I suppose, how much you like and enjoy them. Give them a try.

#5 10-11-2017 3:37 AM

es1418
Eric
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

sarahelaine wrote:

Is your only interest the markets or are you interested in the cities they are in? Germany only unified in the late 19th century, and each of those cities has its own unique history, beautiful architecture, regional food and beer, and non-market attractions. Personally there’s only so many days in Christmas shopping crowds I could bear in actual markets but nowhere does Christmas as well as Germany and I’d jump at the chance to explore the actual cities.

I was so focused on the Christmas markets that I completely forgot about everything else! You're right; there is no shortage of things to enjoy in any German city. Thank you for the reminder.  :-)

#6 10-11-2017 3:40 AM

es1418
Eric
Tourist

Kathrin_E wrote:

To me they are not alike. Most cities and regions have their particular traditions. But it depends, I suppose, how much you like and enjoy them. Give them a try.

Wonderful! I was hoping that was the case. It would be fun to see the differences and similarities between each city's traditions.

#7 10-11-2017 7:11 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Try Monschau, Nuremberg and Dresden. All very different cities, whatever about their Christmas markets.

#8 10-11-2017 7:51 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

I visited a few Christmas markets in Germany, they are not all the same. Cologne was the biggest market I've ever been in Germany

#9 10-11-2017 9:19 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist

I loved the one in Nuremberg

#10 10-11-2017 11:20 AM

strangemystic
Madagascar
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy Happy
Sightseer

The last time I visited Christmas markets in 2009. I visited the markets in Berlin, Trier, Heidelberg and Frankfurt.
The one I liked most was the one in Trier: Trier is not that big a city, and although it has its fair share of tourist, I found its market most 'cozier'. There were some markets sites (3 I think) along the Hauptsrasse in Heidelberg; they were also nice, but there were more tourists.
Berlin and Franfkurt were too much 'modern' cities to me, and you could still see this 'modernity' around the markets so that you could not really feel their 'Gemuetlichkeit'.
Thus my recommendation: rather visit markets in smaller cities, and yes in Germany! (in 2015 I also saw a Christmas market in Paris, at the beginning of the champs élysées, close to place de la concorde, and well... it was not a German Christmas market)

#11 10-11-2017 4:46 PM

ballen
Couch Potato

You'll find them everywhere in Berlin. One of the better ones is at the Gendarmenmarkt. Potsdamer Platz has ice skating and there are several at Alexanderplatz.

Board footer