#1 10-1-2017 2:22 AM

grant17
Glasgow, Scotland
Couch Potato

Singapore, must try food

I'm heading to Singapore  soon for a few days and I'm looking for recommendation of must try food.

#2 10-1-2017 3:51 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Re: Singapore, must try food

Best advice I can give is go to a hawker market or a not-too/touristy mall and watch for a while. Figure out which ones have the longest queues of people who look like they might be local (no backpacks, no shades etc) and line up behind them. And order what they’re having.

Chicken rice and fish noodle soup were probably my favourites but I don’t think I ever had a bad meal in a hawker market. The restaurants, on the other hand, could be dear and so-so.

If you drink, the Raffles Long bar invented the Singapore Sling and it’s worth a trip (if expensive) for the atmosphere. Dress smart, though, you won’t get in in shorts.

Last edited by sarahelaine (10-1-2017 3:54 AM)

#3 10-1-2017 5:12 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

The best place to try local foods is at Makansutra Gluttons Bay. This open air hawker center is located on 8 Raffles Avenue offers beautiful views of Marina Bay. There you have choices of dozens specialties from Singapore and the rest of Asia. The famous spicy stingray and chili crab are typical Singaporean dishes.

#4 10-1-2017 10:36 AM

pammy_robertson
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

probably not as sophisticated as other suggestions you will get but go to Toastbox for breakfast and have the kaya toast. It's amazing! smile

also go for a curry in Little India.

Last edited by pammy_robertson (10-1-2017 10:37 AM)

#5 10-1-2017 8:18 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer

Laksa Noodles....period. Anywhere in the Malay region. Ya gotta have em! there are different kinds of base for the noodles like Curry laksa or Asam, a more fish/tamarind base. I go for the curry but if you like a lil spice and a great soup with your noodles (meat options also) laksa is the choice!

#6 10-2-2017 12:35 PM

pinkpeardrops
Colchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

I've got a 3 day stopover in Singapore on my way home from new Zealand next year. Not keen on spicy food. Can people recommend something non spicy to try.

#7 10-2-2017 12:45 PM

rolypoly
Julia
Brisbane, Australia
Couch Potato

Chilli crab smile

#8 10-2-2017 12:53 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

pinkpeardrops wrote:

I've got a 3 day stopover in Singapore on my way home from new Zealand next year. Not keen on spicy food. Can people recommend something non spicy to try.

You have a huge choice of options to eat in Singapore such as: Chinese, Indian and Malaysian cuisine are well-known in the majority.  The range of restaurants, eateries, hawker centers and food stalls depends mainly on where you are in Singapore.

The widest range of kitchens is located in the tourist areas around Singapore River and around the Marina. In addition to the Asian cuisines, you will also find plenty of international restaurants, for example, you can eat delicious Spanish tapas in the center of Singapore or eat tasty Australian beef on the stone grill.

#9 10-2-2017 6:09 PM

cynthiasmiller
Cindy
Seattle, Washington
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Laksa is what Singapore is famous for.  Also, go to one of the mamak places for breakfast and have roti canai with Singapore-style coffee.  Super cheap, and better than the western-style coffee shops..

#10 10-3-2017 12:48 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Like other has mention, most of the hawker food center served delicious food and very cheap.
You can try many of  those food such as hai nan chicken rice, noodles with mince meat or fish soup.
the singaporean famous fish head curry with okra, fried rice with salty fish, spicy crab.

For sea food, go to jumbo seafood restaurant in east coast seafood centre.
Furama Hotel serve a really good Peking duck and fried seafood rice with salty fish.

anyway, ton of food in Singapore and all very good.

#11 10-3-2017 4:20 AM

nolan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Chicken rice, without a doubt. I sample as many varieties as I can, but I prefer the roasted one. There are many popular brands, including Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice, Wee Nam Kee and Bong Tong Kee. A recently famous one is Liao Fan Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice & Noodle, which is among the cheapest Michelin Star restaurants one can find. The lines are long so it's not that easy to get a quick meal there.

Go to Lau Pa Sat (Telok Ayer Market) for the foodcourt experience.

#12 10-3-2017 7:10 AM

siank73
United Kingdom
Couch Potato

You have to try the Chilli Crab at Jumbo Seafood, the prawns are amazing too, also head towards little india lots of eating places there

Last edited by siank73 (10-3-2017 7:11 AM)

#13 10-4-2017 12:47 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

I just remember one food which is very popular with local (but I do not like it) - oyster fried egg.
For me, taste was very strange, but it seems very popular with Singaporean.

#14 10-4-2017 7:08 AM

grant17
Glasgow, Scotland
Couch Potato

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
I can't wait to try some of them.
I think I will need to join the gym when I get back home.

#15 10-4-2017 1:24 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

grant17 wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
I can't wait to try some of them.
I think I will need to join the gym when I get back home.

You're a Scot, right?  I reckon you'll be fine - we're not used to humidity and I swear I sweat off all the extra calories on a trip to Asia wink

#16 10-8-2017 12:59 AM

Kathmandu1
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Bak kut teh - Food of Singapore. I guess east Asian people like it much.

#17 10-8-2017 11:18 PM

trippin_jen
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Dried Wanton Noodle.
Chicken Rice.
Samsui Chicken.
Bak Kut Teh.
Dimsum

Board footer