#1 9-27-2017 7:36 PM

hanna0
Posts: 1

Have you traveled with your pet?

Recently,I plan to travel to Uk. But I can't leave my little puppy alone. So I wanna take him with me. Anyone could give me some advice?
Thanks a lot.

Last edited by hanna0 (11-4-2017 6:06 AM)

#2 9-27-2017 10:10 PM

Lotus28
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1971

Re: Have you traveled with your pet?

You might want to check this scheme before you decide to fly with your puppy.
https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad#rout … -companies

#3 9-27-2017 11:11 PM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 266

Re: Have you traveled with your pet?

... to travel to the UK from where?  From France or Belgium it would not be a big deal, while it's a major affair if intercontinental flights are involved.

#4 9-27-2017 11:12 PM

vicIII
Victor
Syeverodonets'k, Ukraine
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 23

Re: Have you traveled with your pet?

We only took our cat to the seaside, when all our family travelled there. It was a 13 hours bus ride. She was very nervous on the way to the seaside, but very quiet on the way back.

#5 9-27-2017 11:36 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5998

Re: Have you traveled with your pet?

The first thing you need to consider is the law. The UK has strict quarantine laws and you'll need documentation- the pet passport scheme- and I believe proof of vaccinations. If the puppy is too young for vaccinations you might have to wait.

Then you have to consider how you're traveling. Most international airlines will insist the dog travels separately from you, not in the cabin. Will your puppy cope with that? Will you?  Traveling over land *might* be easier but transport companies don't have to accept your pet and you have to think of that in advance.

Then what will you do with the dog once you're here? Some British hotels/hostels allow dogs freely, others don't, and some will insist that a dog is in a travel crate whilst here. You'd have to book in advance to check.  Having a dog with you also restricts where you can eat, especially in cities where it's rarer to take a dog with you, and what attractions you can see, many of which ban dogs.

Basically, it could be a lot of fun if what you want to see is the countryside, but in the cities it'll take a lot of preplanning.

#6 10-16-2017 9:13 AM

stellabelly
Stella
India
Posts: 4

Re: Have you traveled with your pet?

Yes, my pet name is Brock two year old.

#7 10-16-2017 4:31 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Posts: 459

Re: Have you traveled with your pet?

I have taken my dog with me when traveling by car.  It can be done, and it can even be done when flying.  But unless you are moving to the UK permanently, I think you should either not travel to the UK or else leave your puppy with someone when you go.  It is just not sensible to take a dog to the UK

#8 10-17-2017 5:55 PM

dimmedlights
Sightseer
Posts: 82

Re: Have you traveled with your pet?

Ovy on here ıs my pet from mumbaı ındıa.
Unfortunately, he ıs mischievous so ı leave hım at home ın the heat.

#9 10-17-2017 10:54 PM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Posts: 266

Re: Have you traveled with your pet?

I travel with a plush wombat - does that count? ;-)

#10 11-4-2017 11:42 AM

Fili
Filippo.
Caldonazzo, Italy
Posts: 7

Re: Have you traveled with your pet?

I am a pet! I usually travel with a human companion. The thing is he (most of the time) forgets to take me out of the luggage or a drawer when we are on holidays.

#11 12-4-2017 1:38 PM

ahouseofsparrows
Crystal
Dominical, Costa Rica
Posts: 18

Re: Have you traveled with your pet?

We took our dog and cat with us to Costa Rica when we moved here and it did involve a lot of planning and paperwork. And it was expensive! Make sure you carefully check with UK's vaccine requirements and keep in good contact with the airline. We almost were sent home the day of our flight because my dog's kennel was almost too big to fly on the specific aircraft. There are a lot of rules and regulations and not alone, stress on your pet.

Board footer