#1 9-21-2017 11:31 AM

bennn123
Posts: 4

Money Cards

Hey guys first time traveller and will be going to Thailand, Vietnam and Australia at the start of 2018. Does anyone know the best sort of money card for travelling? I am looking for one that you could use like a debit card. I can only seem to find credit cards which i would prefer not to do. If anyone could help that would be fantastic

Thanks smile

#2 9-21-2017 2:35 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Posts: 960

Re: Money Cards

Credit card is the easiest way I think, is worldwide acceptable

#3 9-22-2017 10:05 AM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 1673

Re: Money Cards

??? You can use your debit card anywhere if it has a visa or master card log pretty much. You have no info about you like which county so we cannot recommend products that may be available in your place.

#4 9-22-2017 11:04 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Wanderer
Posts: 426

Sept922 wrote:

It didn't work in Indonesia and only in very few places in Japan (same as regular credit cards).

#5 9-27-2017 12:29 AM

rolypoly
Julia
Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 28

Re: Money Cards

We use travel money card when we travel. Is a debit card that we can load the currencies of our choice (13 different currencies) any time and works in most countries, I believe. The travel card suits us, we just load our currency from our other account to the travel money card account. The bank will only charge the conversion rate on that day we transferred the money, and a small ATM fee (depending on which country you make the withdrawal). Hope this helps and enjoy Australia as January will be hot!

#6 9-27-2017 1:35 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5999

Re: Money Cards

My Visa ATM card worked well in Thailand and Vietnam - I wouldn't expect problems in Australia.  You'd need to contact your bank, first to check it will work (mostly anything marked Visa or MasterCard is fine) and second to warn them you are going because some banks will assume fraud if a payment is made abroad and shut it down.  Then take money out of ATMs, rather than use it for individual transactions in shops like at home - you're often charged per transaction rather than/as well as a flat percentage so the fewer times you use it the better.  Carry your lost/stolen card phone number separately from your wallet so if it is shut down or lost you can deal with the situation - some larger bank chains will even give you an emergency code to withdraw money from certain other banks without the card, if you're stuck.

#7 9-27-2017 6:47 AM

Bojasem
Taher
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 590

Re: Money Cards

For me I prefer cash But,For some countries like Japan I use visa or Mastercard. Depit card did not work
in some banks.

In my opinion Thailand is safe country you can bring cash and put your money in the safe box and you
can use Debit your card at any bank .But ,take care some bank give you good rate and other low rate.

enjoy.

#8 9-27-2017 7:58 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Wanderer
Posts: 426

Re: Money Cards

I prefer cash as well, exchange rates when using ATM are miserable, in Thailand and Vietnam only expensive shops, restaurants and hotels are accepting cards

#9 9-29-2017 11:22 AM

alectrevor
alec
York, England
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 3

Re: Money Cards

Debit cards can be used in most countries ,check your destination before you go. Don "t rely on just one card,carry another as back up, even a amount of cash. I had a incident in Portugal,glad i had spare card and a few Euros.

#10 10-2-2017 7:24 PM

nolan
Posts: 3784

dimmedlights wrote:

I cant understand why people perfer debıt cards moreover credıt cards...

Because these people don't want to carry debt. They'd rather pay from whatever funds they already have. Also, if a debit card gets stolen, only whatever is in the account associated with the debit card may be compromised. As for the credit card, it's up to the credit limit of the card itself. Of course, lately the banks and financial companies have been innovating in order to keep ahead of the credit card scammers and hackers, and it's an ongoing game.

#12 10-3-2017 5:02 AM

itravel1
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 2157

nolan wrote:

dimmedlights wrote:

I cant understand why people perfer debıt cards moreover credıt cards...

If you have the money, why not put it on credit, receive points and pay it off with your money.  As far as which I would rather have stolen....Credit Card for sure!!!!.  I never bring my bank card.  That is hard earned and saved money.  That is my personal stuff of which a thief could take as much as he wanted, no way!
My credit cards, as I'm sure most in North America, not sure about elsewhere, are all protected against loss or theft.   Not to mention that is the bank's money, steal theirs, at least while it gets figured out I'm not out the money.

#13 10-3-2017 6:17 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Posts: 960

Re: Money Cards

Better to have 2 or 3 cards when travelling, if one of your card stolen you have another card. I also carry my debit card but only works in certain countries. Debit card can only use for withdraw cash in atm machine, but not for payment.

We also had prepaid visa card this comes handy to us, we reloaded the visa with an amount before we go on a trip and we can withdraw or pay with the credit card.

Is best to have a card with pin, if your card stolen they can try three times the pin and if alternately wrong pin the card is automatically blocked.

Board footer