#1 9-17-2017 4:06 AM

Bergen, Norway
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Tromso northern lights meet-up 9th to 11th of February

The meet-up will be from the 9th to 11th of February. I know for many that was to early,sorry about that. As I've said before I'm hoping not be in Norway the second half of the year.
I will arrive either late Thursday evening or midday/afternoon Friday, leaving on Monday.
Let's hope the weather gods are on our side so we get to see the light show.
The reason for choosing that week is that it's also the Sami week. The Sami is an indigenous group living in the north. Their national day is 6th of February and the celebration goes the whole week ending with a reindeer race down the main street of Tromsø. Lots of things going on and I thought it could be interesting.

Many hotels to chose from in Tromsø. Here is a good option if several people wanna stay together and save some money. There is also a kitchen in the room
This hostel also seams nice and they arange tours.

Friday:
We meet for dinner. After dinner if the weather is good we can take "Fjellheisen" the gondola up the mountain. It's a really nice view from the top and we might see northern lights. After that we can go to Ølhallen ( the beer hall). It's a really cool pub,you can't go to Tromsø and not vist this pub. I know beer prices in Norway is not budget friendly so we can do as we normally do in Norway. Have a "foreplay"at home,drink there and go out like 23.30 😂
Another option is a candle light consent in the Arctic cathedral. This will be every evening from Thursday to Sunday.

Saturday:
This will be our tour day
Here are some tour suggestions,some of them are quite expensive.
http://booking.visittromso.no/en/mobile … sorting=sa
Many of the tours starts in the evening so could do some sightseeing during the day.
If we are not that many people we could rent a car and drive around ourselves.

Sunday:
See the reindeer racing and lasso throwing competition. We also need to go to a bakery and eat "fastelavensbolle". This Sunday is traditionally the day before the fast starts (not that many people fast). This day we eat buns with lots of cream and strawberry jam

#2 9-20-2017 6:44 PM

rph304
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Sightseer
Posts: 51

Re: Tromso northern lights meet-up 9th to 11th of February

Sounds nice!  I'm a maybe at the least smile

#3 9-24-2017 6:59 AM

Posts: 69

Sounds fun! I'm interested smile

#4 9-25-2017 2:44 AM

Re: Tromso northern lights meet-up 9th to 11th of February

Cool that you are interested. If you are in TB facebook group you can find more information there

#5 10-24-2017 9:08 AM

es1418
Eric
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 168

Re: Tromso northern lights meet-up 9th to 11th of February

Seems like a fun idea. Thanks for putting it together.

#6 10-24-2017 11:15 AM

es1418
Eric
Tourist
Posts: 168

Re: Tromso northern lights meet-up 9th to 11th of February

Regarding lodging, there also appear to be quite a few nice Airbnb places in Tromso.

#7 10-25-2017 2:42 PM

Posts: 3

I'm interested!

#9 11-19-2017 7:01 AM

Cool🙂
But have you set your profile so that only your friends can see it? It's quite empty 😉

#10 11-26-2017 4:47 PM

TravChef
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1957

Re: Tromso northern lights meet-up 9th to 11th of February

Any one up for Thai cooking? big_smile I heard a not so famous Thai chef will be there.

Board footer