#1 9-16-2017 11:10 AM

karahbar
Posts: 2

Travel sites

Hi

Looking for advice on traveling with a family. Any recommended sites that are focused on kid appropriate activities and destinations. I have a 10, 6 and 2 year old. Just looking to get some ideas on where we can travel, maybe a nice beach vacation?

Thanks

#2 9-16-2017 11:30 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5998

Re: Travel sites

I'd head at this the other direction. Most places can be made family friendly. Look for a place you want to go, then google "family friendly [place]". Because there are, of course, many many all inclusive destinations for families (my in laws tend to take their clan all inclusive to Tenerife). And there are places like Disneyland aimed at children. But almost any major city, certainly in Europe, North America and Asia, will have enough child-friendly activities to keep a family happy. Also, 6 and 10 are old enough to have their own interests. So if they might have opinions on whether they want a beach holiday (in which case great) or if actually they want wildlife or amusement parks or even history and culture- believe it or not I already got bored with beaches by the age of 10 but my brother and sister would have loved them. And there'll be less sulking if you involve them in the planning. That said, it'll also do them no harm at all to learn compromise- better to go somewhere you like and teach them "Mum and Dad get to see this museum (or whatever), and if you don't mess us around we go to the aquarium (or whatever) this afternoon".

Anyway, I've taken my two year old to the Algarve in Portugal when he was one- lots of pools and water parks, sunny, family friendly culture, and boat trips for when they're big enough to cope. We've taken him to Antalya twice. Our little one is pretty patient when it comes to Greco-Roman ruins (which suits mummy and daddy very well), and there's amazing cable car rides, a good aquarium and the hotel we stayed in had lovely kids pools.

#3 9-16-2017 11:47 AM

karahbar
Posts: 2

Re: Travel sites

Great! Thank you for your help. There are so many places to go, how do you get an idea of where you might be interested? Everyone always says that each place you find online is amazing (and they probably are) but how do I choose! - Thanks

#4 9-16-2017 1:53 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Posts: 959

Re: Travel sites

It depends from where you are. For kids ages 10, 6 and 2 Turkey is more likely a good destinations for beach vacation or Tunisia. Both places I mentioned has a family packaged all in formula which included hotel, foods drinks, and kids animation.

Last edited by shavy (9-16-2017 1:54 PM)

#5 9-16-2017 2:01 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5998

Re: Travel sites

Karahbar, There's no one way! With the baby, turkey was a combination of favourable exchange rates and recommendations from friends and Portugal was that was where the friends we traveled with wanted to go back to, and we'd never been. The next trip may well be Greece as friends have moved there. When we feel ready for long-haul probably Malaysia- we love the food and he's not picky, it's gorgeous and he'd love the wildlife- and the infrastructure is safe too. But the thought of a toddler on such a long flight is terrifying so I'm stalling on that for a while!  There might be trips for my husband's work and work will determine that.

Before baby, it was how much time we had and what we could afford, work and family stuff (several trips have been planned around weddings or conferences), and then a whole range of things- cheap flights, long held wish lists like safari or Angkor Watt, rumours of great food (Malaysia and Vietnam),  or specific natural attractions. My wish list at the moment includes Malta because of the Neolithic ruins (probably not that accessible with a buggy...), Croatia for Pitlovice lakes, Cadiz because I love Andalusia and it's the last major city in the region o haven't seen, north Vietnam for the natural landscape and New Zealand because of the Lord of the Rings making it look so amazing. Of those, Andalusia and Malta (apart from some of the ruins) are the easiest as a family - both are Mediterranean so short flights and children tend to be welcome in restaurants, and lots of child friendly attractions too.

Last edited by sarahelaine (9-16-2017 2:02 PM)

#6 9-24-2017 5:27 AM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 295

Re: Travel sites

There is a variety of great beach destinations around the world.  I would go at it from a desire to have kids on an airplane as short a time as possible and pick a beach close to you.

#7 9-24-2017 11:16 AM

Maurizioago
Maurizio
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 158

Re: Travel sites

I think you should tell us more about you. What you like and dislike for instance.

#8 10-3-2017 12:35 AM

Bojasem
Taher
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 590

Re: Travel sites

It depends in your location.

For me travel with kid 2 years. should be short flight  max 5 hours.

Europe (Brussels,Paris,Koln,Dusseldorf,Black Forrest,Blackpool,Madrid,etc).

Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 131

Re: Travel sites

My kids at that age loved the outdoors. We would take them into the mountains and explore with them. It is such a good way for them to have fun and learn at the same time. Oh and phones don't work very well in many mountain locations, so you get their attention and not their phone.

#10 10-16-2017 2:03 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Posts: 959

cor4eye wrote:

I would check out Hotels4Teams and go to the team travel guide section. The site focuses on youth sports travel but has a ton of city guides that are family friendly.

Don't try to advertise your business here https://www.hotels4teams.com/

Reported as spam!

#11 10-16-2017 2:27 PM

itravel1
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 2157

Re: Travel sites

No, you  just add the link for him Belinda, DOH!

#12 10-16-2017 4:26 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Wanderer
Posts: 459

Re: Travel sites

I have traveled with 12, 10, 5 and 2 year olds (all of them together and in various combinations).  What we did and where we went depended (as people have said) on where we were starting from.  A lot of our travel was when my husband changed duty stations - most of the time that was traveling by car.   It isn't that important where you go, in my experience, as long as you keep the children's needs in mind.  Don't set the travel legs so long that they can't sit still anymore.  Don't let them get screaming hungry.  Have places outside for them to run around and let off steam periodically.  At each duty station we would take trips on the weekends or day trips to nearby places.  When we lived near Philadelphia we spent spring break going to places like Washington's Crossing, Valley Forge and Winterthur.  When we lived in Key West, summer vacation was spent touring central Florida (before Disney).  When we lived in Monterey, we visited Yosemite, San Francisco, Sequoia, LA etc.

It is easier to drive to a location (and also cheaper) than to fly.  So unless you have a real yen to go someplace that you can't drive to, I would start out driving.  Take a compass and a map and draw a circle around your location about 800 miles across.  See what's in there.  Once you decide on a destination you might let the two older ones do the research and pick activities to do.

#13 11-24-2017 2:42 AM

Salmabotros
Posts: 7

Re: Travel sites

You can find lots of travel site which are providing holiday trip to the different destination. Last year we had gone through Nadova Tours to visit Cambodia, Vietnam destination with my family. You can go to these places with your family.

Board footer