#1 9-13-2017 12:40 AM

wittytravelname
Couch Potato

Questions About Europe Tourist Visa Requirements

I just have two really quick questions about traveling within the Schengen Zone, the area that you can stay for up to 90 days on a tourist visa.

1. If you travel from one Schengen country to another (i.e. Germany to Switzerland), does that restart your 90 day time?

2. I do understand that if you use all your tourist visa time, you have to depart for another 90 days, usually back to your country of origin, like the US. Would I be okay to, say, hunker down in the U.K. for that 90 days, as it is outside the Schengen Zone, then return?

[Bonus] actually this made me wonder, if you come to a country where you can be on a tourist visa for 3-6 months, but you don't stay for that whole time, can you go back and use the remainder of your time (for example, person travels from US to UK, stays 1 month out of 6 before traveling back or onward, can he go back and stay for another 5)?

#2 9-13-2017 1:35 AM

FK27
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: Questions About Europe Tourist Visa Requirements

wittytravelname wrote:

1. If you travel from one Schengen country to another (i.e. Germany to Switzerland), does that restart your 90 day time?

No. All Schengen countries are considered as one country concerning visas.

wittytravelname wrote:

2. I do understand that if you use all your tourist visa time, you have to depart for another 90 days, usually back to your country of origin, like the US. Would I be okay to, say, hunker down in the U.K. for that 90 days, as it is outside the Schengen Zone, then return?

Yes, you can stay 90 days anywhere outside the Schengen Zone, provided you can afford it.

wittytravelname wrote:

actually this made me wonder, if you come to a country where you can be on a tourist visa for 3-6 months, but you don't stay for that whole time, can you go back and use the remainder of your time (for example, person travels from US to UK, stays 1 month out of 6 before traveling back or onward, can he go back and stay for another 5)?

Within Schengen Zone, you can stay for a total of 90 days within 6 months, regardless how often you enter.

Last edited by FK27 (9-13-2017 1:35 AM)

#3 9-13-2017 2:01 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

1. No

2. Yes.  Once you leave the Schengen Zone. You certainly don't have to return to your home country.  You could go to a European non-Schengen country  (there's many, including Ireland) or go to Asia etc...

There's many non-Schengen countries in Europe that would be cheaper, often a lot cheaper, than the UK or Ireland to stay in.

Bonus. Not sure. Probably depends on the country.

#4 9-13-2017 6:37 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

1. No.
2. Yes
Bonus. Yes - you can.  The general rule is you can stay in Schengen countries for up to 3 months (90 days) within 180 days.

From personal experience, it seems the immigration staff do not check your passport or count how long have you stay in Schengen area especially if you enter and leave many times. 

Please remember, UK and Ireland are not Shengen country, so you will get a new free visa every time you enter the country.

Board footer