#26 10-4-2017 7:11 PM

SweetGrL397
Desiree
New Jersey, United States
Award: Photographer I
Sightseer

Re: *Hong Kong - Must-See and Must-Try Restaurants & Dishes?*

pammy_robertson wrote:

For Dim Sum I really like 'Yum Cha' in Shueng Wan, they have cute animal theme dumplings and nice cocktails.

There's a place called BBQ on Third Street, Sai Ying Pun. It's very local, like a cha chang teng style who do great bbq veg, seafood and meat. It's really cheap, always packed, you maybe need to wait a bit for a table but totally worth it.

Going for brunch is a very HK thing to do. Lots of big hotels and restaurants offer brunch and boozy brunch packages.

This is a bit of a secret place my boyfriend took me too. A nepalese restaurant in LKF, it is actually in a family's apartment. They are sitting watching tv whilst you dine. Its a cool experience and the food is great and incredibly cheap. It's called Up 9.

If you like seafood try Shun Kee Typhoon Shelter in Causeway Bay. You have dinner on a sampan fishing boat. It's a unique experience with great fresh seafood. be warned though.... go to the bathroom before getting on the boat... haha

If you are there on a wednesday get yourself down to Happy Valley racecourse, it costs $10 to get in and you can have drinks, watch the horse racing and place bets for as little $10. Afterwards head into Wan Chai for ladies night, many bars offer free drinks for ladies.

For amazing views head to a rooftop bar, woolloomooloo in Wan Chai has a great rooftop bar, Ozone in the ritz carlton is the highest view in the city on the 118th floor. Drinks are expensive but on a clear evening the view is amazing!

For a different view of the harbour, book onto the Aqua Luna, its a traditional junk boat with the red sail, they sail around the harbour for an hour and includes a drink. It's a really nice way to see the city and it doesn't feel very touristy.

I like hiking in HK for you to see a different side of the city. There is many hikes, an easy one is on Lamma Island, you can take the ferry from central pier and hike north to south or vice versa. there are some nice quiet beaches on route. The dragons back is another on the south side of HK island with great views over Shek O and big wave beach. There is also a hike in Sai Kung to Tai Long Wan Beach. which is HK's paradise.

If you have any specific questions then I'm happy to help. smile

Wow, thanks for the suggestions!

I'll definitely be looking into a boozy brunch for the Sunday I'll be there. Would also like to do the Aqua Luna for the light show.

Can't wait to check out a couple rooftop bars. Ozone looks really cool.

Thanks again! smile

#27 10-4-2017 7:12 PM

SweetGrL397
Desiree
Sightseer

dimmedlights wrote:

Are any you folks famılıar wıth authentic hong kong cuısıne?
Some of these revıews are way off / mısleadıng.

What would you recommend??

#28 10-4-2017 7:13 PM

SweetGrL397
Desiree
Sightseer

Lotus28 wrote:

dimmedlights wrote:

Are any you folks famılıar wıth authentic hong kong cuısıne?
Some of these revıews are way off / mısleadıng.

I believe anyone can recommend some restaurants in HK even if the person is not familiar with HK cuisine.
I know some restaurants listed here are branches of restaurant chains originated in Taiwan or Singapore but there's no rules that they only have to be very familiar with restaurants in HK.

And I find local junk food in HK is very rich and fun. I am not sure if it's authentic HK cuisine but I'm pretty sure it's still a part of food culture in HK.

Rather than saying everyone else's advice is not good enough, I'd highly recommend you to post your favorites or your rich knowledge about HK cuisine. It will make everyone happy and very helpful to anyone not only the OP.

Agreed!

#29 10-4-2017 7:13 PM

SweetGrL397
Desiree
Sightseer

vulindlela wrote:

Loved this place!

http://www.hkoldrest.com/en/

Great, thanks!!