#1 9-11-2017 3:27 PM

*Hong Kong - Must-See and Must-Try Restaurants & Dishes?*

Hey all!

I'm returning to Asia for my big trip this year! I'll be heading to HONG KONG for 4 days in November before going to Japan. I can't wait!

I need more of your awesome recommendations! What are some must-see sights during my short time there? Is Macau worth checking out for the day? A great city tour? Fun activities?

I'm sure the food scene is probably overwhelming - what are some great restaurants to try? Best dim sum? Cool bars? Breakfast? Seafood? I'm also looking for one upscale or Michelin star restaurant to dine at for my final night, what's truly worth it?

Open to all your suggestions! Thanks so much! smile

#2 9-11-2017 4:04 PM

curious_claire
Claire
Romford, England
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 157

Re: *Hong Kong - Must-See and Must-Try Restaurants & Dishes?*

Yes, Yes, Yes to Macau! So great to visit and if you go you must have the egg tart. I went because I wanted to see The House of Dancing Water and it was the most amazing show i've ever seen. If it's still on I'd recommend going. You should be able to google a trailor

So the food. I had some great food in HK! Breakfast can be hard to find there (well breakfast that's isn't over priced for tourists) but I had one person tell me you aren't a true HK resident until you go to Australia Dairy Company. There's a bit of a line but it moves fast and the food is really great

The best mexican i've ever had was in HK at a place called Agave. There was also a cool pub nearby with live music (if you're interested I can try and remember the name!). I had a posh dim sum dinner but for the life of me I can't remember right now but it may be in my pictures somewhere

If you want something fancy I'd recommend the afternoon tea at The Upper House hotel. It's absolute beautiful, delicious and when you're on the 49th level you get some spectacular views!

#3 9-11-2017 4:41 PM

tour_guy
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 671

Re: *Hong Kong - Must-See and Must-Try Restaurants & Dishes?*

Check out Big Buddha in Lantau Island on top of the mountain. The cable car ride is absolutely amazing with great mountain views.  The location is very close to HK airport, so you may need to plan during your arrival or departure. If planning from the airport, then you can leave the bags in the airport and take a short bus ride to Ngong Ping 360 cable car station. One of the longest cable car rides I had so far and even the Buddha statue is biggest one I have ever seen.

The cable car will let you at Po Lin Monastery on the top of the mountain and from there you will have to walk little bit and experience the temples around there and then walk up the stairs to the top of the statue location. There is Buddha museum, you probably should visit, which is just beneath the statue.

Shops, food, water all available up there so nothing you need to worry about. The place gets crowded on the weekends, so plan it early in the morning before 10am.

#4 9-11-2017 8:35 PM

travel_geek
Toronto, Canada
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 366

Re: *Hong Kong - Must-See and Must-Try Restaurants & Dishes?*

I really liked the dim sum at Maxim City Hall.

There's enough in HK to keep you busy for 4 days.  With that in mind, if you are going to Macau, I would spend no more than a day trip.

In HK, you will want to stroll on the Victoria harbour waterfront (TST side) for amazing views of the skyline, take the Star Ferry across the harbour, go to Victoria Peak, ride a tram, Lantau Island (as mentioned), and if time permits..... Stanley, and the Tai-O fishing village.

#5 9-11-2017 10:43 PM

Lotus28
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1958

Re: *Hong Kong - Must-See and Must-Try Restaurants & Dishes?*

Speaking of dimsum, I would recommend the tearooms in Chuen Lung village in New Territory.
https://www.tripadvisor.jp/Restaurant_R … _Kong.html
It's located in rural area of HK and you can enjoy freshly made dimsums in open terrace viewing watercress field. This place is very popular among local HK people as a special breakfast. So get up and go early!
You can take a minibus number #80 from Tseun Wan station. There are two tea houses which you can recognize easily and both two places don't have so much difference in terms of quality and price.

#6 9-11-2017 11:28 PM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1961

Re: *Hong Kong - Must-See and Must-Try Restaurants & Dishes?*

I think the best dim sum in Hong Kong is Tim Ho Wan and it has one michelin star award (the cheapest in the world). The price is similar or cheaper than other dim sum restaurants I have dine in Hong Kong.

I like seafood at Jumbo Floating restaurant.  It is a bit touristy but it has very nice view toward Hong Kong at night time, the food itself pretty good, but not fantastic. However, their dim sum food was great in the afternoon.

In Hong Kong many Michelin restaurants and the price is way cheaper than in Europe.

I have tried several and the best as follow with the no:

1.  Tang Court

2.  Tims Kitchen

3. Din Tai Fung

4. Ye Shang Hai - avoid this place, kind of a rip off

This restaurant does not have a Michelin star but the food is really good and very cheap

and if you like suckling pig, this is really good and they have live seafood as well

http://www.travbuddy.com/Very-Good-Seaf … nt-v823635

If you go to Macau, head to Grand Lisboa Hotel for dim sum lunch at the Noodle and Congee Corner restaurant, it serve good dim sum
http://www.travbuddy.com/Noodle-and-Con … er-v823644

or if you fancy Portugese food in Macau, this place offer really good food at reasonable price located at lisboa hotel
http://www.travbuddy.com/Guincho-A-Gale … nt-v832991

and another great chinese food in Macau but very expensive

Regarding sightseeing, it is best to google or read from the guide book and tailor to your personality, what would you like to see and do, as what I like to do might be different with you.
However like other tbs mention, Lantau Island is worth it and I like it there, but my friend does not like it.

If you go to Victory Peak, try this place for the cake and tea. It was yummy and have a great view

Forgot to mention about Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong.  If you fancy a high tea there, you should booked in advanced.  We just turn up and no seat available and they recommend to book one week before.

Last edited by gingerbatik (9-11-2017 11:34 PM)

#7 9-12-2017 3:55 AM

cynthiasmiller
Cindy
Seattle, Washington
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 147

Good dim sum:

Dimdimsum in Wan Chai
Three Virtues Restaurant near Causeway Bay

What I noticed about Hong Kong, the good stuff is hiding in the back streets.  Don't be afraid to explore!

#8 9-22-2017 2:11 PM

curious_claire wrote:

Thanks so much, Claire! I've decided to at least do a day trip to Macau. That show sounds cool, I'll look into it! The Australia Dairy Company seems to be very popular, I'll try to stop by! 'm always down for a couple drinks and live music. Agave looks good too!

Thanks again for your awesome suggestions! smile

#9 9-22-2017 2:14 PM

tour_guy wrote:

Very cool! I really want to see Big Buddha and take the clear cable car. This will definitely be another day trip.

Thank you!!

#10 9-22-2017 2:18 PM

Lotus28 wrote:

https://www.tripadvisor.jp/Restaurant_R … _Kong.html

This sounds great, thank you!! Looking forward to the yummy dimsum!

#11 9-22-2017 2:20 PM

http://www.travbuddy.com/Very-Good-Seaf … nt-v823635

http://www.travbuddy.com/Noodle-and-Con … er-v823644

http://www.travbuddy.com/Guincho-A-Gale … nt-v832991

and another great chinese food in Macau but very expensive

Wow, thanks so much for these recommendations! I will look into all of these.

So much good food, so little time! wink

#12 9-22-2017 2:21 PM

cynthiasmiller wrote:

Good dim sum:

Dimdimsum in Wan Chai
Three Virtues Restaurant near Causeway Bay

Cool, thank you!!

Yes, I agree. Sometimes you discover the most delicious places in the back streets!

#13 9-26-2017 4:38 AM

avittet
Arnaud
London, England
Couch Potato
Posts: 7

Re: *Hong Kong - Must-See and Must-Try Restaurants & Dishes?*

HK is definitely famous for its cantonese food (dim sum) - I tried tons of restaurant there and this one is my absolute recommendation for cantonese cuisine at a very good price:

Lin Heung Kui near Sheung Wan station (Central)
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran … _Kong.html

The entrance is basically just an elevator, but once on the 1st/2nd floor, its all yummy yummy!

Also if you want to head to a cool bar, go to Brick House (http://www.brickhouse.com.hk/) also in central in the LKF street. Very good music and awesome cocktails. The way to the bar is so hidden, you won't find a crazy crowd like the rest of the bars in the area. But the way there can also look very dodgy at first (and even more if you're a lady) - small, dark alley right by LKF, but at the end of the road...an amazing spot!

Enjoy!

#14 9-26-2017 5:15 AM

avittet
Arnaud
London, England
Couch Potato
Posts: 7

Re: *Hong Kong - Must-See and Must-Try Restaurants & Dishes?*

PS: Oh and if you're looking for relaxing times - like a Thai massage. Here's the best in town: chiwasiam.com
(Trust me, I've done most of them haha)

And if the party drags you into the middle of the night or very early morning, here's a nice Cafe open 24/7:
the-flying-pan.com

#15 9-26-2017 5:40 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Posts: 827

Re: *Hong Kong - Must-See and Must-Try Restaurants & Dishes?*

Restaurants scattered around the city of HK, you will find out when you get there. For things to do: No one mentioned the light show in Victoria harbor held at 8pm sharp. A fantastic light show in lasers, be there early to have a good spot

If you have time to spare, you maybe take the ferry and see Lamma island this island is a huge contrast to what you see in the city center. See locals life and fishing village, this is really nice for photograph

#16 9-26-2017 5:43 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Posts: 827

Re: *Hong Kong - Must-See and Must-Try Restaurants & Dishes?*

Oh Macau yes, really worth for day trip, if you can avoid to visit Macau in the weekend- saturday and sunday is so busy

#17 9-26-2017 3:56 PM

avittet wrote:

Lin Heung Kui near Sheung Wan station (Central)
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran … _Kong.html

Enjoy!

Great! I'll look into this place for dim sum, thank you!

Good to know. Can't wait to try a few great bars. Thanks again smile

#18 9-26-2017 3:56 PM

avittet wrote:

(Trust me, I've done most of them haha)

the-flying-pan.com

Nice!! wink

#19 9-26-2017 4:15 PM

shavy wrote:

The light show sounds really cool! I'll be sure to catch it one night.

Thank you!

#20 9-26-2017 4:16 PM

shavy wrote:

I will be checking out Macau for a day. I can really only go on a Saturday, so it will be crowded, but really looking forward to it! smile

#21 10-1-2017 11:08 AM

pammy_robertson
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer
Posts: 464

Re: *Hong Kong - Must-See and Must-Try Restaurants & Dishes?*

For Dim Sum I really like 'Yum Cha' in Shueng Wan, they have cute animal theme dumplings and nice cocktails.

There's a place called BBQ on Third Street, Sai Ying Pun. It's very local, like a cha chang teng style who do great bbq veg, seafood and meat. It's really cheap, always packed, you maybe need to wait a bit for a table but totally worth it.

Going for brunch is a very HK thing to do. Lots of big hotels and restaurants offer brunch and boozy brunch packages.

This is a bit of a secret place my boyfriend took me too. A nepalese restaurant in LKF, it is actually in a family's apartment. They are sitting watching tv whilst you dine. Its a cool experience and the food is great and incredibly cheap. It's called Up 9.

If you like seafood try Shun Kee Typhoon Shelter in Causeway Bay. You have dinner on a sampan fishing boat. It's a unique experience with great fresh seafood. be warned though.... go to the bathroom before getting on the boat... haha

If you are there on a wednesday get yourself down to Happy Valley racecourse, it costs $10 to get in and you can have drinks, watch the horse racing and place bets for as little $10. Afterwards head into Wan Chai for ladies night, many bars offer free drinks for ladies.

For amazing views head to a rooftop bar, woolloomooloo in Wan Chai has a great rooftop bar, Ozone in the ritz carlton is the highest view in the city on the 118th floor. Drinks are expensive but on a clear evening the view is amazing!

For a different view of the harbour, book onto the Aqua Luna, its a traditional junk boat with the red sail, they sail around the harbour for an hour and includes a drink. It's a really nice way to see the city and it doesn't feel very touristy.

I like hiking in HK for you to see a different side of the city. There is many hikes, an easy one is on Lamma Island, you can take the ferry from central pier and hike north to south or vice versa. there are some nice quiet beaches on route. The dragons back is another on the south side of HK island with great views over Shek O and big wave beach. There is also a hike in Sai Kung to Tai Long Wan Beach. which is HK's paradise.

If you have any specific questions then I'm happy to help. smile

#22 10-2-2017 6:13 PM

dimmedlights
Posts: 78

#23 10-3-2017 12:10 AM

Lotus28
Posts: 1958

dimmedlights wrote:

Some of these revıews are way off / mısleadıng.

I believe anyone can recommend some restaurants in HK even if the person is not familiar with HK cuisine.
I know some restaurants listed here are branches of restaurant chains originated in Taiwan or Singapore but there's no rules that they only have to be very familiar with restaurants in HK.

And I find local junk food in HK is very rich and fun. I am not sure if it's authentic HK cuisine but I'm pretty sure it's still a part of food culture in HK.

Rather than saying everyone else's advice is not good enough, I'd highly recommend you to post your favorites or your rich knowledge about HK cuisine. It will make everyone happy and very helpful to anyone not only the OP.

#24 10-3-2017 12:38 AM

gingerbatik
Posts: 1961

Lotus28 wrote:

dimmedlights wrote:

Good on you Lotus 28 smile

I have tried many of the HK street food and food court, and many small restaurants without name, therefore I recommended the best I had taste.

#25 10-3-2017 9:37 AM

vulindlela
Jeremy
Indianapolis, Indiana
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter