#1 9-10-2017 5:03 PM

aviksamanta
Avik
Schenectady, New York
Couch Potato

Long layover in Helsinki

I have 2 upcoming trips through Helsinki in December and January. Any suggestions on what i can do in a day in Helsinki in December and January? I think the tours are all closed in the winters.

#2 9-10-2017 11:13 PM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Re: Long layover in Helsinki

you can wonder around the town and go to the cafe if it is getting too cold.

#3 9-11-2017 4:49 AM

StevieP
Steve
United Kingdom
Sightseer

Helsinki is a beautiful city and would be very pleasant to stroll around providing you wrap up warm

#4 9-11-2017 11:38 AM

maykal
Michael
Saint Andrews, Scotland
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Bedbug I
Sightseer

I was in Helsinki for a few days in December and January last year. It was cold, and began to snow, but that's sort of why we went...to see a proper winter. Helsinki is nice, but more beautiful when the snow falls. All the attractions are still there in winter time...the markets, the churches, the museums. You can also take a ferry out to Suomenlinna, a UNESCO World Heritage Site on an island in the bay, about 20 minutes away...as well as the fortress, people live there so the ferries run all year round.

Maybe we can recommend more if we know how long you have on your stopovers?

#5 9-11-2017 5:08 PM

aviksamanta
Avik
Schenectady, New York
Couch Potato

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Sounds like it won't be such a bad layover after all. I will be there for 11.5 hours (morning 8.30 to evening 8) on my onward trip and 23 hours on my way back (2PM to 1PM).

Last edited by aviksamanta (9-11-2017 9:23 PM)

#6 9-12-2017 5:45 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Try a sauna on both stopovers. On way back, you can just book a central hotel with a sauna.

#7 9-13-2017 4:53 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

On the way back you could take the ferry to Tallinn for a different experience.  2 hrs each way.

#8 9-19-2017 4:19 PM

JuliaSuomi
Helsinki, Finland
Couch Potato

Hi,

Depending on your dates:
- visit Helsinki Christmas market
- try Free Christmas sauna (open aprox December 9th to 22nd right in the city center and quite autentic experience)
- Lux Hesinki festival (beginning if January)
- Allas sea pool (open in winter) - swim outside and have a sauna with great harbr view

#9 12-6-2017 3:31 PM

aviksamanta
Avik
Schenectady, New York
Couch Potato

Thanks for the suggestions..I can't speak finnish at all. DO you think i will be okay with speaking in English?

#10 12-7-2017 9:10 AM

34Chicago23
Lindsay
Chicago, Illinois
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

You should not have a problem using English in Helsinki.  Not sure about December/January but there was a Market Square along the waterfront with vendors selling food and retail items.  As suggested, if the ferry is running take a trip to Tallinn, Estonia.  Also, there are some impressive cathedrals and churches within walking distance.

#11 12-10-2017 3:46 PM

aviksamanta
Avik
Schenectady, New York
Couch Potato

Thanks for the suggestions. Will definitely try out the ferry if its running. For the UN world heritage site as well, there is a ferry, right?

Board footer