#1 9-10-2017 2:28 AM

icicle
Posts: 2

Clothing for Iceland

I'm going to Iceland in March and am looking for some advice on what clothing would be required. Thought I might need waterproof coats and boots, thermals, etc due to the time of year but online I'm reading people say the weather isn't so bad that time of year.

#2 9-10-2017 2:33 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Wanderer
Posts: 426

Re: Clothing for Iceland

Even in August the weather can be really miserable, beeing warm sometimes doesn't mean it will be when you are there. Of course you can get  everything there but Island is one of the most expensive countries.

#3 9-10-2017 2:49 AM

Re: Clothing for Iceland

Well, partly it's going to depend what weather you're used to. If you're East Canadian Iceland is no big deal. If you're Malaysian it's going to feel cold.

Beyond that, I would never trust the weather in any island in the middle of the North Atlantic, at any time of year. I'd pack layers- many layers is both warmer than one thick layer and easier to manage if it suddenly turns warmer. Waterproofs are always a good idea, quick drying fabrics and good quality waterproof footwear. Which is frankly what I would advise for any trip to northern Atlantic climates, any time of year. Cold is easy to deal with as long as you aren't also wet through- I'd avoid jeans because once jeans are wet they stay wet and they chafe.

Icelandic wool products are gorgeous but somewhat at the significant investment end of the financial spectrum. Don't count on shopping being an affordable option.

#4 9-10-2017 2:56 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 959

Re: Clothing for Iceland

The weather in Iceland is unpredictable, I've been to Iceland in august I pack most of my winter clothes. Although is summer but I walking around with my winter coat smile summer weather still too cold for me

Definitely pack some thermals clothing if you going in march. Shopping in Iceland is not cheap

Last edited by shavy (9-10-2017 2:57 AM)

#5 9-10-2017 4:58 AM

icicle
Posts: 2

Re: Clothing for Iceland

Thanks for the advice. In general is it advisable to take waterproof/winter suitable boots from an outdoors shop or will a decent pair of everyday boots be sufficient?

#6 9-10-2017 6:32 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 959

icicle wrote:

If you do some hikes it is advisable to take a waterproof boots

#7 9-10-2017 10:08 AM

Re: Clothing for Iceland

It depends on whether you're planning hikes or tours, whether you're taking a second pair and whether you're planning to go to the sort of restaurant that objects to hiking boots. Personally I would take warm winter weight gore tex hiking boots- better grip on ice and slippy waterfall areas, faster to dry out and better ankle support. And I'd either pack a pair of shoes for the evening or avoid posher eating places. But I own a pair anyway.

#8 9-10-2017 1:48 PM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1978

Re: Clothing for Iceland

I was there in the middle of April and the weather was not that cool.  It gets a bit cool when rain, other than that, it was quite pleasant.
I only have hiking shoes since I do not do any hiking and just do sight seeing around the city center and the geyser.
If you plan to buy a jumper, Iceland has a very good selection, it is very pretty, colourfull and warm.  Price is similar with buying a cashmer jumper, around €200-€350.  I ended up with 2 of those when I was there.
Do not worry about formal clothings to go to restaurant either. I went to one of the best and the most expensive restaurant there and everything was very laid back.  the restaurant does not even have a table cloth and we have to choose our own knive and fork during 13 dishes dinner (I actually shocked).
Enjoy Iceland.

#9 9-15-2017 5:36 AM

EEEhehehe
Aljaž
Vipolze, Slovenia
Sightseer
Posts: 71

Re: Clothing for Iceland

Iceland is cold but not freezing cold. The thing that was more annoying to me was rain rain rain and wind wind wind wind...

#10 9-20-2017 8:21 PM

osgoodst
steve
Chicago, Illinois
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1159

Re: Clothing for Iceland

I visited in February of this year and the weather would change really fast.  We had rain, snow, and sleet!  For hiking either water proof boots, or have a second pair of boots you can use if the other ones get soaked!  In my photos I'm wearing a water proof coat the whole time.  Also if you do any ice-caving you will be completely soaked.

But yea, most of the trip the weather was between 30 - 50 degrees F, for me that is not particular cold.  Don't count on buying clothes, but there are lots of places selling sweatshirts, and if you want to splurge some icelandic wool.

#11 9-21-2017 4:05 AM

osgoodst wrote:

You're a tougher cookie than me, but I guess that Chicago sees more real winters than the UK!

That's roughly 0C to 10C, not counting windchill, which would bring it down to feeling like just below freezing. Which is toasty warm for people from countries with actual winters, cold enough to be getting on with for Northern Europeans, and insanely cold if you're from somewhere with a civilised climate.  smile Definitely cold enough for good waterproofs, proper boots and warm socks!

*i'd* pack skiing thermals because 1) I am a huge wimp and 2) they're less bulky and easier to pack than the couple of t-shirts i would wear if I didn't have them with me.  Modern ones can look just like normal t-shirts so it's a straight swap. But point 1 (enormous wimp) doesn't apply to everyone.  smile

#12 10-8-2017 8:10 AM

sjw90
Scott
Posts: 3

Re: Clothing for Iceland

Definitely take spare warm clothes just in case, you may get the odd sunny day but it will probably still be chilly. Saying that I went in December '10 and it was nearly -10 the one day and I'd never felt cold like it, it's the wind chill that gets you!

Board footer