#1 9-9-2017 4:47 PM

Orlando, Florida
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 667

Hurricane Irma update

Dear friends,

It's just after 7:45 pm Saturday, Florida time and I still have internet connection, so taking the opportunity to inform you that the massive Hurricane "Irma" is on its way here and expected to hit Florida tonight with heavy rains and very strong winds.

Everybody seems to be in panic mode.  A lot of folks have already fled the state or up north in their cars.  They're the lucky ones as all the gas stations in our area have run out of gas.  Airlines are charging over $2,000 for a seat to any destination outside the state. If you want to buy drinking water, it's $70 for a 24-bottle pack (normal price is only $3).  Talk about exploitation in the midst of misery!  Now, the latest bad news is all the ATM machines no longer have cash for people to withdraw.

In spite of all the above, we have done everything possible to ride out the storm.  A couple of days ago I filled up the two cars when the gas situation was still normal at the pumps.  I have enough canned food and drinking water to last for at least two weeks. Candles and batteries are on standby, should we lose electricity.

Yesterday with the help of our kind neighbors we cut down some trees in the backyard.  The same young fellow helped to put up wooden boards/shutters on all the windows.  I realize that all these preventive measures won't stop the damage or mess that Irma is surely going to inflict upon us.  However, with the Almighty looking after us from above, we are going to survive.

In the meantime, to brush away the blues I'm listening to an 80s classic rock hit "Rock You Like A Hurricane" by the Scorpions.

God Bless,
Cho

Last edited by Cho (9-10-2017 6:32 AM)

#2 9-9-2017 8:01 PM

vances
Vance
Dayton, Ohio
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 407

Re: Hurricane Irma update

Wishing you all the best, Cho.  You need to get hurricane shutters!  Confess I am enjoying my first hurricane season in eleven years where I am not exposed, but in both of my coastal homes (Corpus Christi, TX and Wilmington, NC) I installed shutters, which proved a godsend.

lol at your music choice --- don't forget Neil Young!

#3 9-9-2017 9:37 PM

Batten down the hatches!

#4 9-9-2017 9:43 PM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 112

Re: Hurricane Irma update

Hunker down and stay safe Cho!

#5 9-10-2017 8:20 AM

stacey72
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 130

Be safe and good luck!!

#6 9-10-2017 8:22 AM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 4399

Re: Hurricane Irma update

Stay safe and as the popular word last day or two advises: 'Hunker Down'.

#7 9-10-2017 8:39 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1961

Stay safe

#8 9-10-2017 4:40 PM

tour_guy
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad
Posts: 671

Re: Hurricane Irma update

Stay safe and hope it gets over soon without much damage.

#9 9-10-2017 10:41 PM

travel_geek
Toronto, Canada
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 366

Stay safe!

#10 9-11-2017 3:23 AM

Kathmandu1
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 336

Re: Hurricane Irma update

You brave one, know how to be calm against the situation. The recent news mentioned the hurricanes strength is getting lower. Thanks God, all of you are well and do you have update of our TravBuddy friend Burma!!?

#11 9-12-2017 9:44 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 112

Re: Hurricane Irma update

Even Atlanta was having trouble with Irma yesterday. Many flights were canceled or diverted.

#12 9-13-2017 10:57 AM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 145

Re: Hurricane Irma update

I do hope all our members in the Caribbean and the US are OK.

If you are not out of the place (which seems problematical from the news reports we are getting here in the UK) just get down and stay down as it will blow it's way through soon enough, terrifying as it is at the time.

Before anyone asks what a guy from the UK is doing talking about hurricanes, yes, I have survived one.  It is just a matter of common sense to minimise the potential risk and, as all other members here obviously, we wish those potentially affected all the best.  Stay safe,

Fergy.