#1 9-7-2017 1:59 AM

Kathmandu1
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Hurricane Irma and travelling to Caribbean

Seen in news that Hurricane Irma is appeared as monster in Caribbean sea and near by countries. Previously Hurricane Harvey has destroyed much in Texas state and Irma is heading to Florida now. One should check the situation before go ahead to these American states and TravBuddies who already in this area should move to safe destination before suffering from this hurricane Irma.
Take care!

#2 9-7-2017 2:05 AM

Kathrin_E
Kathrin
Karlsruhe, Germany
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

Re: Hurricane Irma and travelling to Caribbean

At the moment it's certain islands in the Caribbean that we have to worry about most, not just the USA, right?

#3 9-7-2017 3:20 AM

Kathmandu1
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Kathrin_E wrote:

At the moment it's certain islands in the Caribbean that we have to worry about most, not just the USA, right?

Yes, Caribbean islands - Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Haiti etc.

#4 9-7-2017 6:22 AM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

So far: The small island of Barbuda (Antigua) is totally destroyed a lot of damage and 8 deaths on Saint Maarten ...

#5 9-7-2017 6:26 AM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Sightseer

Texas isn't "destroyed" but I wouldn't plan to vacation along the coast northeast of Corpus Christi any time soon. South Padre should be fine.

#6 9-7-2017 10:03 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

milestx wrote:

Texas isn't "destroyed" but I wouldn't plan to vacation along the coast northeast of Corpus Christi any time soon. South Padre should be fine.

I don't think so.  First of all there is Hurricane Katia down there off Mexico right now. It is predicted to go west into Mexico, but predictions can be wrong.

It would be difficult to get to South Padre without going through areas which have had, or are going to have problems.  Anything from Corpus Christi east, north west to Austin, and east as far as the Louisiana border is a problem in Texas.  Why go to a place which has just been devastated by a hurricane???

Irma is predicted to make landfall someplace in Florida on Friday or Saturday.  No place in Florida is a place to travel to at this point.  And my son in Charleston SC has made plans to evacuate also, as the predictions are for  Irma to go up the east coast.

#7 9-7-2017 10:07 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

We're up to date of the hurricane here, hopefully isn't so bad we have friends travelling at the moment in Mexico.

Last edited by shavy (9-7-2017 1:52 PM)

#8 9-7-2017 1:38 PM

Cho
Cho
Orlando, Florida
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

I live in Orlando, Florida and although it's not on the Atlantic coast but further inland, it seems that everybody here is on panic mode.  A couple of days ago I went to the grocery store to stock up on essential supplies but could get only canned food.  All the drinking water were all sold out!
Hoping and praying that Irma will change direction and blow itself out in the ocean, or lose its strength before it hits us.
Going to ride out the hurricane.  If the electricity stays on I'll be fine.

#9 9-13-2017 11:07 AM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

Cho, my friend,

I do hope you and yours are OK.  If you can only get canned food, no problem.  As long as you have a means of cooking nobody should starve and also you can boil the life (literally) out of potentially contaminated water.  Trust me, as one who was in the Forces, I know that if you have "fire" of whatever sort i.e. a decent heat source and a few supplies, you can ride out most things.  Sure, it will not be the most pleasant experience but at least you'll be fed and watered.  Please remmeber that dehydration will kill you very much quicker than starvation so make liquids your priority. 

I am not a religious man so I could not say in honesty that I am praying for you but I am most assuredly hoping for you with all my heart.

#10 9-14-2017 10:12 AM

Andy99
Andrew
Springfield, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Barbuda, the British Virgin Islands, the US Virgin Islands (St. John and St. Thomas) and Sint Maarten/St. Martin as well as the Florida Keys were all very hard hit by Irma. It will taken them quite a while to be able to receive visitors again. Grand Turk was also hard hit, but I have read the airport and cruise terminal are operating. (Grand Turk was still recovering from its last hurricane when I visited there in March.) San Juan, Puerto Rico, is recovering and opening up, I read.

Board footer