#26 9-6-2017 2:12 PM

Re: Experiences of Travel planning gone wrong.

I'm travelling for more than 20 years now, I haven't missed a single of my flights. The day of my departure it really stressing me, I feel relaxed once I'm sitting in departure gate waiting my plane smile

#27 9-6-2017 5:55 PM

Re: Experiences of Travel planning gone wrong.

I have a book to read while I wait if there aren't other people to talk to or other people to observe.

#28 9-6-2017 9:10 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Globetrotter
Posts: 17593

Re: Experiences of Travel planning gone wrong.

I've never missed a flight so far. Came very close in BUD once, arrived at airport just 20 minutes before departure.

I don't drive so never hire a car. Car rental companies seem to figure high in travellers' tales of woes.

I have lost money on hotel reservations I didn't use. One of the reasons I often don't bother reserving a hotel. I arrived in Korea yesterday morning without any reservation.  Got bus from ICN to Gangneung on east coast, walked out of bus station straight into motel across road.  Plenty of rooms available.  Doesn't always work. Had lots of problems finding somewhere in Paris at Easter many years ago...but did find something for night.

A couple of people have mentioned booking flights where the airline subsequently went bust. I understood that in such cases, your credit card company would refund the fare, in cases where you paid by credit card.

#29 9-6-2017 9:52 PM

Pune, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: Experiences of Travel planning gone wrong.

I didnt know about this actually. But once the money is gone to Airline almost 4 months in advance, why the credit card company should refund it? If it is so, then its really helpful to know this.

fransglobal wrote:

#30 9-6-2017 9:58 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Globetrotter
Posts: 17593

Re: Experiences of Travel planning gone wrong.

I don't know if it applies worldwide. Defintely seems to apply in Ireland.

#31 9-6-2017 10:33 PM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1313

Re: Experiences of Travel planning gone wrong.

Almost missed my flight home from Dublin ones, we were way too early at the airport, were the first to check in and were send to a gate number, the gate changed and it wasn't called so we waited at the wrong gate wondering were all the other passangers were ... then I discovered what happened but we only got a few minutes left to get all the way to the other side of the airport, they were about to call for us when we got there ...

#32 9-6-2017 11:47 PM

Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Re: Experiences of Travel planning gone wrong.

After logging over 5M airline miles over the years, I've had my share of bad days.  Hurricanes, blizzards, thunderstorms, floods, riots, you name it, I've had flights cancelled because of them, or missed connections because of them.  And sometimes when there is only 1 or 2 flights per week, that causes serious problems.

For example when I flew from USA to Seoul to Beijing only to find out that my last flight to Colombo was cancelled.  They claimed they tried to contact me a week before, but that was BS.   I had to be in Colombo for a wedding the next day, but the next available flight the airline would book me on was in 4 days - and I arrived in China without visa since I was only going to be in transit.  So I had to fly back to Seoul, get on a different carrier and connect through Bangkok.  It cost me an additional $1000 and it took me 6 months to get credits for the original flight since airline claimed I opted not to take the flight they offered 4 days too late.

From the age of 6, I was flying (alone) space-A / stand-bye, or as we said, stand and wave bye..  When you get bumped at a connecting city it is never fun, particularly when you're 6...  But that taught me the confidence and independence to solve whatever problem presented itself.

I've been called by management to urgently cancel trips after I've already taken my seat.  Have you ever tried to talk your way off of a plane before?!   That never goes well.  And if you do make it off, have you ever tried to get your luggage back?!  Not fun.

I could go on for hours about the traveling nightmares I've had.

But I've also had some good luck stories too!  Like when I was able to pick up my rental car in Namibia not only without my international license, but without any license at all, since my ID was stolen a few weeks earlier.  Takes a bit of polite smooth talking and yes, I did have scanned copies of everything, including my applications for replacements, but I did not have originals.  (And it was with Avis, the same as people earlier were saying gave them such a hard time)

#33 9-6-2017 11:54 PM

Another example..

#34 9-7-2017 12:41 AM

#35 9-7-2017 5:33 AM

4 WEEKS?????

That's exactly what I thought, except I added a few expletives after that!  With some help of customer service, I was put on the next day's flight, but I lost my nice seat assignment

#36 9-7-2017 5:46 AM

Re: Experiences of Travel planning gone wrong.

Must be a nightmare for your when you read that message of "delayed flight by 4 weeks" :-)

Also it was nice to read about your experiences and it made me check your profile and the personal website https://travelphotosbydave.shutterfly.com/

Amazing pics there.. Will see all albums one by one soon.

4 WEEKS?????

Last edited by bhush2006 (9-7-2017 5:47 AM)

#37 9-7-2017 6:12 AM

DaveSwede wrote:

Good to know this things about rental cars, we'll be traveling to Namibia next year and certainly rent a car, but I haven't look yet which company smile

#38 9-7-2017 7:14 AM

Oh my

#39 9-7-2017 9:49 AM

Re: Experiences of Travel planning gone wrong.

I booked a round trip from DFW (Dallas Fort Worth) to West Yellowstone - a very small airport and which has only one small commercial plane a day.  We had to switch planes in SLC (Salt Lake City).  This was booked 6 months in advance with associated car rentals and hotels.  Delta canceled the SLC to West Yellowstone flight altogether a couple of weeks beforehand.  I managed to book the flight the following day, changed the rental car and motel reservations, and we just spent one night in Salt Lake City.  I found this very annoying, but the solution was OK.

When I was younger, I traveled without advance reservations.  I went to Europe in 1964 and I had just the first couple of hotels and the last hotel booked.  Which was fortunate because I was meeting my husband in various ports and the Navy changed the schedule for his ship and they didn't go to all the ports as originally scheduled.  The first hotel was in Madrid.  I met my sister there - she flew in from Nuremberg.  After Madrid we went to Lisbon, and we were supposed to go to Seville next, but we couldn't get train tickets.  So I lost my deposit on that hotel and my sister just flew back to Nuremberg.  The travel agents in Madrid said I would have no problem getting a hotel in Valencia because no one ever went there.  They were wrong - there was a big festival there in Valencia (bullfights etc) and I had great difficulty in finding anything.   Then I went to Granada - took all day on the train.  I could not get a seat on a train out of Granada on the day I had expected to leave, so I went to Madrid a day early.  Then I could not get out of Madrid because it was the end of July and all the trains were packed.  So I flew on a late plane to Barcelona, and because of mechanical problems with the plane it was two hours late leaving which put me into Barcelona at about 5 in the morning.  I took a taxi to the train station but the taxi driver said that I should not go into the station as it was not open yet and it was full of gypsies.  So I stayed in his cab until the train station opened.  Then I got a train to Marseilles.  I was very tired by the time I got there so I checked into a hotel near the station (we did not have roller bags in those days - we had to actually carry suitcases).  But the hotel had kind of a hinky vibe and I did not feel comfortable with it.  So I left my suitcase and then found a better hotel, checked into that hotel and then took the bellman back to the other hotel with me to retrieve my suitcase.

#40 9-9-2017 6:37 AM

bhush2006 wrote:

Amazing pics there.. Will see all albums one by one soon.

Thanks for stopping by and checking the photos!  Glad you like them!  I still have a few countries to upload, like Botswana, Namibia, Mauritius, Reunion.. basically anything from the last 6 months.

#41 9-9-2017 6:41 AM

shavy wrote:

DaveSwede wrote:

I was mentally prepared for the eventuality if they didn't allow me to pick up the car, but in the end it all worked out.

If you're driving around Namibia and/or crossing the borders, just keep you ID's in a convenient place.  There are random check points and its good not to have these buried deep in your bags in the back of the car.  Even talking my way through these check points and border crossings was easier than I expected and really just required a few please's and thank you's.

#42 9-9-2017 7:56 AM

Re: Experiences of Travel planning gone wrong.

I've been thinking about the title of this thread.  Travel planning Gone Wrong.    This could be three things.

1) Most of these examples seem to be of the type where there was a plan, but the plan was disrupted by outside circumstances (such as no flight for four months, or the airline going out of business) which were outside the traveler's control.  I don't think this is usually the result of the actual plan being wrong. but just under the heading of needing to have a plan B

2) There is also a couple examples where there was no plan (traveling without reservations).  In this case the plan wasn't wrong because there was really no plan.

3) What I thought was meant was when a person planned something and the actual plan was faulty - like making the reservation at the wrong hotel, or making a reservation to fly in the same day for embarkation on a cruise ship and failing to take into account that there might be weather delays so that you would not get to the port before the cruise ship sailed.  (which happened to my son)  Planning to rent a car without your home country driver's license would come in this category.  Back in the day when I got a IDL, it clearly said on it that it should only be used with your regular license as it was just a translation of that license.

I have had cases where I planned badly, but I usually overplan so much that when I screw up, it is possible to fix.

Last edited by grandmar (9-9-2017 7:58 AM)

#43 9-9-2017 8:25 AM

Re: Experiences of Travel planning gone wrong.

Hahaha, we all share our bad experience during our travels. But it wasn't really answering of the title of this question. The OP is asking to share our experiences big_smile

#44 9-9-2017 11:53 AM

shavy wrote:

Yes in the initial post we were asked to share our experiences of cases when something happened to disrupt the travel that was planned.  But I felt guilty for not answering the question in the title which was to tell when we planned badly.  I am ashamed of those times when that happened.  It is much more amusing to relate things that happened to disrupt what was a perfectly good plan.

#45 9-9-2017 9:42 PM

grandmar wrote:

This is almost entirely how I do my own personal travel.  I'll get a flight and maybe the first night's accommodation.  Otherwise, I'll just have an idea of where/when I want to go, but will work out the details in the moment.

#46 9-12-2017 7:19 AM

margunn
margunn
Bergen, Norway
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1363

Re: Experiences of Travel planning gone wrong.

I'm an very easy going person and believe everything will sort it self  out. If not it's a good story to tell later.
I have never missed a flight,but constantly late for buses. That's more at home though,not so often when I travel.

When I was traveling in the US I missed  bus connections twice(because Greyhound is a shitty bus company 😉)
The first time a relative I was gonna be visiting a week later just happened to be in that city. The other time I hitchhiked and got a ride with a mormon woman who tried to convert me. She was not going all the way,but she drove me there anyway. Another time I managed to get on the wrong bus without noticing,but a TB I know lives in one of the towns the bus passed through,so I stayed with her.
My passport got stolen in Miami,but someone found it and contacted me on Facebook.
In Kuala Lumpur I left my passport in a taxi. I didn't notice it right away, but when I  went to the Norwegian embassy to get an emergency passport the taxi driver had already delivered it there
Traveling from Belize to Mexico I decided to walk across the border,but didn't realize how far it was. There was supposed to be some taxes there,but I couldn't find any. Met an old man who was hitchhiking so I tagged along with him. Got a ride on the back of a pickup truck. Little did I know that Mexicans don't have to show their passports so they just drove past the border control. I was thinking there would be another check point,but suddenly realized we where already in Mexico. I don't look very Mexican and some of the custom service guys must have seen me but nobody stoped me. I was planning to get a bus from Chetumal the same day.but stayed one night so I could go back to the border the next day (it's not very far). When I came there and explained my situation to the border control they just laughed at me and stamped my passport. Just wished the us costume service was so relaxed,he he

#47 9-12-2017 9:43 AM

Re: Experiences of Travel planning gone wrong.

I am not traveling right now, but am responsible for several travelers at work. I have been having nightmares about getting them into Atlanta during Irma......

#48 9-12-2017 6:04 PM

Dymphna wrote:

I was supposed to be in Houston August 26 ~ September 1 for some legal proceedings on a past project from hell.  16 hours before I was to get on my flight, they postponed that due to Harvey.  Now that Houston is waking up after the storm, they are rescheduling for maybe October 3.  Not only is it a pain to shift and adjust all reservations, but now this month shift is playing havoc on my other commitments.

#49 9-13-2017 8:41 AM

Re: Experiences of Travel planning gone wrong.

My daughter is a pilot flying out of Miami.  She flew out Thursday the 7th to Paris.  She thought maybe she could get back Friday, but she couldn't return until yesterday (11th).  Her house was not damaged at all and they have electricity, water, and TV and now the internet, but her husband left to go to GA because his office has no electricity and he is bored with nothing to do after he cleaned up all the surrounding areas.  So she's put herself on the list to call for any flights, but there aren't many planes in Miami, the airport is still somewhat damaged and she says she doesn't know whether there are people in Miami to work the flights (counter people, baggage people).  My daughter in Houston said she did not get water in her house, but friends did so they spent the weekend helping people - tearing out drywall etc.

I had a work trip for training in Seattle that was to start on Monday.  They wanted to fly me out of Baltimore on Saturday.  But my grandson died and I was going to go to the funeral in Pittsburgh on Saturday so I was not going to be on that flight.  I got there the afternoon of Monday.

#50 9-13-2017 9:04 AM

Dymphna wrote:

I feel your pain. I am still waiting to find out when to reschedule a trip for legal stuff in another city. Yes we are going, no we are not going. Wait book that. Stop and cancel that....

Board footer