#1 9-4-2017 5:56 AM

MrD3071
Dave
Award: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer
Posts: 277

Latvia - Worthwhile excursions from Riga?

Howdy TravBuddy folk,

The other half and I are travelling to Riga (very) soon, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any worthwhile excursions for the day? We are only in Latvia for 5 days, so could probably only spend two days maximum on excursions.

We are particularly interested in history, culture and nature (or a spot of adventure), and I personally am not interested in anything 'too touristy'. Castles or good museums are winners, or any good nature parks.

On a side note, if anyone could recommend any particularly good restaurants in Riga we'd be very grateful (we are both big foodies).

Thanks in advance smile

#2 9-4-2017 10:29 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 960

Re: Latvia - Worthwhile excursions from Riga?

If you are interested in Castles and museums, Sigulda is more than one hour from Riga. Tukums is also beautiful, but is a bit touristy

We also went to Rundale Palace, a very beautiful place to stroll around. Going there is not straight forward, you'll have to get off in Bauska and take another bus to Rundale palace, there are frequent bus to the palace

Latvian food is really good. Check Lido restaurants there are 8 of this buffet restaurants in Riga, pure local food. We try two of this restaurants and very satisfied

If you like something else, I can recommend you  Burga Bar we went to this place on our last day as recommendation of TA, everything what I read about the place is correct. Serving is huge for the price, is also a nice bar to hang out, but is quite out the center

Last edited by shavy (9-4-2017 10:34 AM)

#3 9-4-2017 11:35 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Globetrotter
Posts: 17617

Re: Latvia - Worthwhile excursions from Riga?

Agree about Sigulda. If weather nice, Jurmala beach well worth a visit. Agree that Latvian food is very good. Tends to be pretty cheap too.

#4 9-5-2017 4:52 AM

StevieP
Steve
United Kingdom
Sightseer
Posts: 68

Re: Latvia - Worthwhile excursions from Riga?

I was in Riga last year, I though it a very small city - but very interesting and beautiful. The old town was small and had a really good bar, sports bar I think for local beer. Plenty of local cuisine restaurants, the buffet as mentioned by Shavy was very reasonably priced and there was another restaurant I liked called Piejura in the old town, delicious food. The museum of the occupation is free to enter and very interesting (they do like donations).

As for trips, as above, we went to Sigulda with a private tour guide for the day, and was well worth it.

Last edited by StevieP (9-5-2017 4:53 AM)

#5 9-6-2017 11:44 AM

MrD3071
Dave
Wanderer
Posts: 277

Re: Latvia - Worthwhile excursions from Riga?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far everyone, I already had Sigulda on my list. I have looked up some of the restaurant suggestions and they look really cool, its making me hungry!

#6 9-6-2017 2:47 PM

HORSCHECK
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 118

Re: Latvia - Worthwhile excursions from Riga?

Definitely Sigulda. I even spent one night there and still thought that it was too short. If you like hiking and outdoor activities, it is definitely the place to go. - I was a bit disappointed of Jurmala, still it is well worth a short side trip.

Another excursion could lead to Jelgava, which can also be reached within an hour by suburban train. It is a lovely little town with a few interesting sights.

#7 9-8-2017 1:47 PM

curious_claire
Claire
Romford, England
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 157

Re: Latvia - Worthwhile excursions from Riga?

I went to Riga a few months ago and took a day trip to Estonia. You can get a bus from Riga to Tallinn (only a few hours) and it's easy to do a visit in a day. Would recommend it

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer