#1 8-28-2017 4:12 AM

globetrottingmike
Mike
London, England
Award: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

#TENYEARSON - Celebrating 10 years of Unofficial TB meetups

#TENYEARSON

December 2007 saw the very first TB meetup in LA. A new ‘Unofficial Meetups’ forum section was opened on travbuddy.com and the TB community responded!

From January 2008 meetups were springing up in Ireland, London, Amsterdam, Dusseldorf, Manila, Singapore …. Basically everywhere.   

Talking to several TB who have been around from the get go, it has been mentioned that this 10 year anniversary should be celebrated.

What are your thoughts? And who will be celebrating 10 years of friendships made through TB in 2018?

If you are holding a 10 year anniversary event please post it below and I will link to it in this post.

- 10th Dec 2017 - Los Angeles
- 29th Dec 2017 - 2nd Jan 2018 - BIG NYE Party - Budapest, Hungary  -  DISCUSSION | MEETUP PAGE
- 10th Feb - Northan Lights Meetup - Tromso, Norway - DISCUSSION | MEETUP PAGE
- 6-9th April 2018 - Bangkok Meetup
- 27th Apr 2018 Amsterdam - King's Day
- 16th Jun 2018 - London - Picnic in the Park
- 14th Jul - Trans-Siberian Meetup
- Summer 2018 - Liverpool - The Giant Puppets Meetup - TBA

Last edited by globetrottingmike (10-16-2017 8:54 AM)

#2 8-28-2017 5:33 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Re: #TENYEARSON - Celebrating 10 years of Unofficial TB meetups

Great  idea. Thanks Mike. I will probably not be able to attend Los Angeles or Amsterdam meetup but London and/or Liverpool possible.

#3 8-28-2017 5:59 AM

halilee
Hali
Regina, Canada
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

There is a massive meetup in Budapest for New years. Æ=

I might be able to make the Amsterdam one.. and who knows, London or Liverpool might be possible depending on dates and when I'll be back in Denmark smile

#4 8-28-2017 7:35 AM

margunn
margunn
Bergen, Norway
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

This is great Mike. There is also the Trans Siberian meet-up and one in India.
I will definitely try to come to the once in Amsterdam and Liverpool. King's day would be cool. Let's make a big meet-up every month next year,he he. Easter could be a good time to have a meet-up.
If anyone is interested in a northern lights or midnight sun meet-up I can arrange one in Tromsø. It's not the most convenient location (or the cheapest since it's in Norway 😉) but it's a cool city and I have friends there that could help arrange.

#5 8-28-2017 8:27 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

That's great, as a new member I haven't experience yet on TB meet up. If its held in one of European cities I would be able to attend but depends on date.

#6 8-28-2017 9:17 AM

globetrottingmike
Mike
London, England
Wanderer

Welcome to TravBuddy Belinda! You will have plenty of opportunities to get along to TB meetups in 2018!!

Great ideas Margunn smile

#7 8-28-2017 1:24 PM

matt
matthew
London, England
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

I may be up for Budapest for New Year but it will be a last minute decision.
100% up for Amsterdam, London and Liverpool.
It will be great if we can get as many people to go to Amsterdam as we did in Dusseldorf 2008.
That was the biggest meetup I've ever been too.
Come on people let's make this happen.
Kings day in Amsterdam would be amazing.

#8 8-28-2017 11:22 PM

jos-nijenhuis
Jos
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

Thanks Mike for starting this. It sure is time for a new big Meet-up. If Amsterdam, I will be there. I did attend the Kingsday meet-up this year. Although that was a small one. Just 5 people smile

#9 8-28-2017 11:26 PM

globetrottingmike
Mike
London, England
Wanderer

jos-nijenhuis wrote:

Thanks Mike for starting this. It sure is time for a new big Meet-up. If Amsterdam, I will be there. I did attend the Kingsday meet-up this year. Although that was a small one. Just 5 people smile

Time to bring everyone back together, right?!? cool

#10 8-29-2017 12:09 AM

bhush2006
Bhushan
Pune, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

That would be quite interesting.. I am very much interested in seeing northern lights and travelling in Fjords and also exploring countryside of Norway including a hike to Trolltunga :-) Too ambitious at the moment for me.. but may be one or two years down the line I can make it

margunn wrote:

If anyone is interested in a northern lights or midnight sun meet-up I can arrange one in Tromsø. It's not the most convenient location (or the cheapest since it's in Norway 😉) but it's a cool city and I have friends there that could help arrange.

#11 8-29-2017 3:58 PM

KeikoCreative
Keiko
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

I think is great idea to organise in different countries, Amsterdam King's day I am in!

#12 8-30-2017 3:15 PM

globetrottingmike
Mike
London, England
Wanderer

KeikoCreative wrote:

I think is great idea to organise in different countries, Amsterdam King's day I am in!

Yep, it's great to see so many TravBuddies coming up with their own meetup ideas in lots of different locations. It will be good to catch up with you at Kings Day next year! cool

#13 9-1-2017 7:37 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

So as of now, most of the Meetups are suggested for first half of 2018.

I note that first Irish Meetup was organised by Mark on 21/9/07.

This was before I had even heard of Travbuddy...

It's too late to organise for 10 year anniversary for this year.

But I could organise for weekend beginning 21/9/18. It'll only be a year late...

Or possibly around the time of the Liverpool Giants Meetup. To allow those coming from outside Europe to combine a visit to UK and Ireland.  Jantima, this includes you.

The date for the Giants return to Liverpool doesn't seem to have been decided yet...

#14 9-1-2017 7:48 AM

globetrottingmike
Mike
London, England
Wanderer

Yep, no doubt ideas are to come for meetups for the second half of the year! I have message Darren to find out if the dates for the Giants Puppets being in Liverpool have been announced.

fransglobal wrote:

So as of now, most of the Meetups are suggested for first half of 2018.

I note that first Irish Meetup was organised by Mark on 21/9/07.

This was before I had even heard of Travbuddy...

It's too late to organise for 10 year anniversary for this year.

But I could organise for weekend beginning 21/9/18. It'll only be a year late...

Or possibly around the time of the Liverpool Giants Meetup. To allow those coming from outside Europe to combine a visit to UK and Ireland.  Jantima, this includes you.

The date for the Giants return to Liverpool doesn't seem to have been decided yet...

#15 9-1-2017 8:59 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Globetrotter

I have made this thread a sticky for the moment...

#16 9-1-2017 12:31 PM

globetrottingmike
Mike
London, England
Wanderer

fransglobal wrote:

I have made this thread a sticky for the moment...

Thanks Francis!

#17 9-1-2017 6:02 PM

TravChef
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

globetrottingmike wrote:

#TENYEARSON

December 2007 saw the very first TB meetup in LA. A new ‘Unofficial Meetups’ forum section was opened on travbuddy.com and the TB community responded!

From January 2008 meetups were springing up in Ireland, London, Amsterdam, Dusseldorf, Manila, Singapore …. Basically everywhere.   

Talking to several TB who have been around from the get go, it has been mentioned that this 10 year anniversary should be celebrated.

What are your thoughts? And who will be celebrating 10 years of friendships made through TB in 2018?

If you are holding a 10 year anniversary event please post it below and I will link to it in this post.

- 10th Dec 2017 - Los Angeles
- 29th Dec 2017 - 2nd Dec 2018 - Budapest NYE
- 6-9th April 2018 - Bangkok Meetup
- 27th Apr 2018 Amsterdam - KingsDay - Details coming soon!
- 16th Jun 2018 - London - Picnic in the Park
- 14th Jul - Trans-Siberian Meetup
- Summer 2018 - Liverpool - The Giant Puppets Meetup - TBA

Mike...I would like to help you organize Bangkok Meet up in 2018

#18 9-2-2017 12:08 PM

globetrottingmike
Mike
London, England
Wanderer

TravChef wrote:

Jantima, message Jon, as he is organising the Bangkok meetup in April.

#19 9-4-2017 8:22 AM

margunn
margunn
Bergen, Norway
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

bhush2006 wrote:

That would be quite interesting.. I am very much interested in seeing northern lights and travelling in Fjords and also exploring countryside of Norway including a hike to Trolltunga :-) Too ambitious at the moment for me.. but may be one or two years down the line I can make it

margunn wrote:

You can't really do that in one trip. Northern lights are best between October and March,just the time when Trolltunga is closed for hiking. If you want to do hike on your own without a guide you can only go between mid June and mid September.
The fjords has it's charm in winter to,but spring and summer is definitely better. Many of the fjord towns are quite small and only have hotels open between May and September. I jused to live in a place called Balestrand in the Sognefjord. I think it one of the most beautiful places in the world,but it can be quite dead in winter.

#20 9-4-2017 1:50 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Globetrotter

We will also need to decide on NYE 2018. I think somewhere warmer than Budapest. I suggest Barcelona, Bangkok or Buenos Aires.

Or Kuala Lumpur  or Singapore if in SE Asia or Rio if in the Americas.

#21 9-5-2017 6:53 AM

margunn
margunn
Bergen, Norway
Explorer

fransglobal wrote:

We will also need to decide on NYE 2018. I think somewhere warmer than Budapest. I suggest Barcelona, Bangkok or Buenos Aires.

Or Kuala Lumpur  or Singapore if in SE Asia or Rio if in the Americas.

Or Bahamas. Isn't it a little to early to start taking about NYE 2018 😉 but yeah,I agree it should be somewhere warmer than
Budapest. It should be somewhere there is already an active TB member. We discussed this in Malaga,it make the planning much easier. Bangkok is a good option. We have locals,it's been many meet-up there and it's an fairly easy and cheap to get to

#22 9-7-2017 6:52 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Globetrotter

Ok Bangkok.  Tell Christian smile

#23 9-8-2017 9:08 AM

northlight
Jon
United Kingdom
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

globetrottingmike wrote:

TravChef wrote:

Jantima, message Jon, as he is organising the Bangkok meetup in April.

smile

#24 9-9-2017 11:48 PM

northlight
Jon
United Kingdom
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

So Mike are you organising a Bangkok meetup in February?  Is that what Jantima is referring to when she asked to help organise?

#25 9-10-2017 2:58 AM

globetrottingmike
Mike
London, England
Wanderer

northlight wrote:

So Mike are you organising a Bangkok meetup in February?  Is that what Jantima is referring to when she asked to help organise?

Hi Jon, i will be in Bangkok in Feb along with Darren. I am not planning to organise a big meetup in there in Feb, as I am only there for a couple of days and it is my first time in the city, so likely to feel over-whelmed anyway. So it like to take it all in and discover the city without organising anything. If Jantima and others are about then of course I will meet them for dinner.

Board footer