#1 8-26-2017 9:03 PM

Maurizioago
Maurizio
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 146

Spambuster.

What do have I to vote to become a spambuster? Is it not enough to communicate spams to the Tb staff to become a spambuster?

#2 9-10-2017 8:19 AM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 4399

Re: Spambuster.

The Spambuster award is given for members who vote on reviews that come up for inspection.
See the link for Spambuster Award - http://www.travbuddy.com/awards_display.php?type=10

Have a look at my TravBuddy 101 blog, Part 5: TravBuddy Awards

#4 9-16-2017 12:27 PM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 145

Re: Spambuster.

Your point is well made Brian and your "idiots guide" (so useful to an idiot like me) is much appreciated.  I do, however, question the whole system.  I have been on my little jaunt for about a month now and I have spent a lot of my free time trying to catch up on TravBuddy struff and transferring from VT and I check frequently when I am online here and yet I would say it is over a month since I was offered anything to vote on which becomes a bit dispiriting after a while.

I realise that the entire site is run by computers but this algorithm seems totlly flawed.  I know you hve the ear of the bosses so can you please have a word.  I am seriously considering not even checking any more as it seems to be merely a waste of my time.

#5 9-17-2017 12:43 AM

spocklogic
Brian
Poquoson, Virginia
Explorer
Posts: 4399

Re: Spambuster.

The thing is: Only reviews come up for voting. The spammers already know they get deleted quickly, so there are not that many available for voting on. Only the occasional random spammer will post a spam review here, and the habitual spammers avoid the reviews and post in blogs instead.

Even though I already have all the spam buster awards, I'll sometimes hunt for spam reviews. I look mostly for 1 star reviews by members who signed up to gripe about something and then never participated again. I find these reviews untrustworthy and give them a No for "Is this review helpful/trustworthy". If it is a nonparticipating member, the review will generally immediately show up in the Spambuster queue for voting, where upon I vote it spam. Occasionally one will run across 4 and 5 star reviews that are spam and never got booted. I do the same thing to them. Most of the spam reviews here tend to be hotel reviews.

Advice: Be proactive (seek out spam) rather than reactive (what you are offered).

Board footer