#1 8-26-2017 10:59 AM

lilen
Lilen
Doha, Qatar
Couch Potato

which route is best/travel buddy

Hi everyone,

Finally. I will be travelling in Turkey for 2 weeks my departure will be on Septembef 6, 2017.
Please I need help, I am bit confuse with my route. My plan is from Sabiha airport go directly to Cappadocia for 3 days, after that Istanbul for 3 days also and then Antakya then go back to Istabul for my departure.
Is there any other alternative route? Does Antakya is near to Cappadocia?

I will be travelling solo. If someone, local or travelling there during the same time would like to join for adventures, get in touch smile

Lilen.

Last edited by lilen (8-26-2017 11:00 AM)

#2 8-26-2017 11:53 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Re: which route is best/travel buddy

That's a lot of to-and-fro; why not schedule Istanbul at the end rather than go to Istanbul, leave for Antalya then come back to Istanbul again?

The distance between your destinations is better thought of in terms of hours than miles. If you're traveling by air that's very different from overland. By land these are full day journeys in some cases. By air, you still have to allow for security lines and transfers.

Your best bet in all these cases is to get a map out. Type your destinations into google maps and look at the distances that way. It'll also give you overland journey times.

#3 8-26-2017 12:16 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

Do you mean Antakya or Antalya? If Antakya, you would definitely need to fly. Not sure what current situation is there.  It is very near Aleppo so worth checking security situation. Antalya is nearer to Cappadocia but on your timescale, probably worth flying.

See www.rome2rio.com for your options.

I have moved this thread to Europe section to forum.

#4 8-26-2017 10:01 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Antakya, i don't think the security there is worse then in other Turkish town, but there are more interresting places in Turkey. It is about 450 km southeast of Cappadocia close to the Syrien border, a bus would be more then 8 hours with a change either in Kayseri or in Aksaray. Plane only via Istambul and over 6 hours.

#5 8-27-2017 6:56 AM

alisyed88
Syed
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Couch Potato

you can get the most local traveling help from GoEuro app. Its free and helps you to get your destinations with local transport. The best part is its price comparison.

#6 8-28-2017 1:36 PM

mattbechtel71
Matt
Sightseer

Your three locations are not particularly close. You might be able to travel between Cappadoccia and Istanbul by an overnight bus, but otherwise, you really don't have an option other than flying.

The airports for Cappadoccia are in Kayseri (ASR) and Nevsehir (NAV). I believe Pegasus has direct flights from Sabiha to both.

The airport for Antakya is Hatay airport (HAY). I have seen some articles that suggest flying into Adana (ADA) and then taking a bus to Antakya as an alternative option, but I would think the direct flight into Hatay would be best.

Unlike others here, I believe the frequent returns to Istanbul actually make sense considering the distances between the other cities on your itinerary.

#7 8-30-2017 11:07 AM

lilen
Lilen
Doha, Qatar
Couch Potato

thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I finally decide which route I will take.  First I will stay in Istanbul for 3 days since I have more days to stay in Turkey am not in rush, will take a bus going to Cappadocia from Istanbul then I will attend my friends wedding in Antakya that's why I really need to visit Antakya:)

#8 8-30-2017 10:30 PM

stefmuts
Stefanie
Neerpelt, Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

I heard Istanbul is a great city, haven't been there myself (yet) but I'm sure you're gonna love Cappadocia!
Take an early morning balloon flight if you can, it's really great!
Have a great trip (and a nice wedding party) !

#9 9-1-2017 7:32 AM

maykal
Michael
Saint Andrews, Scotland
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Bedbug I
Sightseer

I was going to comment that it makes more sense to spend time in Istanbul at the start of your trip, but it seems like you've already come to that conclusion smile There are plenty of buses to towns in Cappadocia from Istanbul, and many Turkish bus companies are very comfortable, but the journey is quite long (around 10-11 hours), so don't rule out flying - Turkish Airlines flies to Nevsehir from both Istanbul airports, and there are lots of flights to Kayseri with different airlines, you might find a good deal.

Another way of getting there would be bus/train to Ankara, and then a train to Kayseri. It's a lot slower, but trains are more comfortable, you can walk around, there's often a restaurant car, and you get great views sometimes (much nicer than looking at a motorway!). It also means you could spend a day/night in Ankara.

From Cappadocia, the journey to Antakya isn't too bad. In Turkey, I've used this website for finding out bus routes, times and prices, and it is fairly reliable even if not all bus companies are shown: www.neredennereye.com According to that site, there is one company serving the Nevsehir-Antakya route and taking 6 hours, and many companies on the Kayseri-Antakya route taking slightly longer.

In Turkey, often you can just turn up at a bus station in a large city and buy a ticket for a bus leaving soon, but it's probably better to book a day or two in advance. Bus companies usually have offices in town centres, and if you book a ticket with them, they often arrange a free transfer by minibus from their office to the bus station (Turkish bus stations are often miles from the centre). This is particularly useful in Istanbul.

Board footer