#26 8-26-2017 11:52 PM

Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5952

Re: Favorite Island

I think I'd still count it as an island if the only link is a man made bridge or causeway (Skye has a bridge now, for example, but is still very much an island).  Gibraltar is different because there's a natural land link - it's a narrow one but it's still a peninsula.

#27 8-27-2017 4:51 AM

Bedford, Texas
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II

#28 8-27-2017 8:50 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Posts: 432

sarahelaine wrote:

I think that's a good definition.

This has been an interesting topic - some people have suggested places that I never thought to visit.

#29 8-27-2017 10:26 AM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 112

denisx wrote:

Galiano Island, B.C.

Wow! I didn't expect to see anyone other than me mention one or all of the Gulf Islands. It's been quite a few years since I've been to Galiano as I usually go to Mayne.

#30 8-27-2017 12:00 PM

klarapohl
klara
Athens, Greece
Posts: 1

Re: Favorite Island

I love Corfu island,  for many reasons I do not want to spam but is difficult to explain , http://www.belmare.gr/corfu-blog/the-best-of-corfu/

Last edited by klarapohl (8-27-2017 12:07 PM)

#31 8-27-2017 12:19 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 826

klarapohl wrote:

Corfu is nice, I like Santorini, one of my favourite island of Greece.

#32 8-27-2017 1:24 PM

Re: Favorite Island

I've spent a few Fall holidays on Galiano with good frinds of mine. I haven't made it to any of the other Gulf Islands though

NickelP wrote:

denisx wrote:

#33 8-27-2017 1:25 PM

Re: Favorite Island

Santorini is also one of my tops. I didn't want to leave when I was there!!!

shavy wrote:

klarapohl wrote:

Corfu is nice, I like Santorini, one of my favourite island of Greece.

#34 9-2-2017 1:16 PM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 145

Re: Favorite Island

Gib is most certainly not an island and I know this because I walked into Spain from it some years ago and didn't get my feet wet!

As for favourite islands there are a few serious contenders like Cyprus, Malta, Siquijor, Negros, Great Cumbrae in Scotland and does Australia count as one?

However, if pushed to a single choice I would have to go with Maykal and choose Lundy, I really love that place.  I spent a wonderful few days there with TravBuddy member John Gayton when he worked in the Marisco Tavern as the chef.  It is an utterly magical place with so much history (real and some possibly invented but still believable), it is so remote (the power goes off at midnight) and so indescribably beautiful I think I would have to plump for that.

If I ever get time I shall try to reproduce the extensive travelogue I had on another travel site before it was stolen and then destroyed by a very evil little man.

#35 9-3-2017 6:54 PM

glenbobboy
Posts: 2

Re: Favorite Island

Love snorkeling in Roatan.

#36 9-4-2017 1:00 AM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 140

Toonsarah wrote:

I love Holy Island (Lindisfarne) off the north east coast of England - a magical place. Easter Island was also very special as were the Galapagos - my favourites there were Espanola and Genovese.

I debated to put Easter Island in my original response.  I'm not sure I'd chalk it up as a favorite island.  While I did enjoy my visit there immensely, I can't say that I'd be chomping at the bit to go back or spend longer time there.  The other islands that I listed, I would be content to have extended stays.

#37 9-4-2017 1:03 AM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Posts: 140

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

The rock of Gibraltar's an island, right?

IDK, I've never been.
http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2009/ … r_0720.jpg

According to Google Maps it's not, wow.

If it were an island, I could legitimately say that I walked on water to get there!  Walking over the airport runway, waiting for a plane to cross with fingers plugging the ears.. was a unique experience.

#38 9-5-2017 3:54 AM

Leonardtown, Maryland
Posts: 432

samsmith wrote:

The World Islands - Dubai is my favourite

I did not even realize that Dubai was an island

#40 9-5-2017 9:25 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 826

Re: Favorite Island

Probably he meant the Palm island, is a manmade island outside Dubai. They made a road tunnel under sea connect to Palm island for cars, the cheapest way to get there is with monorail. It is indeed very beautiful, but very expensive I been there last May, but not my favourite smile

#41 9-9-2017 9:16 AM

pammy_robertson
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Posts: 464

Re: Favorite Island

think these are my favourites :-

Utila - Honduras

#42 9-9-2017 9:20 AM

pammy_robertson
Posts: 464

planxty wrote:

Great Cumbrae? Random choice but also love it. Its a typical summer holiday day trip spot for Glaswegians. Love hiring a bike and cycling round it. smile

#43 9-10-2017 12:05 AM