#1 8-24-2017 6:11 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Favorite Island

What is your favorite island to visit and stay for awhile? 

I was originally going to say your favorite tropical island, but I realized that there are other islands not in the tropics. 

By island I mean something less than 30,000 square miles.  Smaller than Ireland

Among my favorites are Bermuda, Cozumel, Barbados and Hawaii (the Big Island)

#2 8-24-2017 6:25 PM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

Re: Favorite Island

Ambergris Caye, Roatan, Maui or Lopez.  I obviously can't pick just one.

#3 8-24-2017 7:18 PM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

In no particular order, I enjoyed Malta, Tobago, Rodriges, Ilha Grande and in general a lot of the little islands along the Palmer (Antarctic) Peninsula.

#4 8-24-2017 7:26 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Soho London, United Kingdom
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist

I like the one I'm from and that I'm an 'islander' because I'm British.

#5 8-24-2017 7:27 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

I'd like to go to Australia, Jamaica, the Philippines, Cuba maybe, Ireland, Japan as well as Gibraltar and Hawaii.

#6 8-24-2017 7:30 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

I just read the OP.

I'd like to go to Singapore, Hong Kong, Hawaii, Tahiti, Grenada, Jamaica, Gibraltar.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-24-2017 7:31 PM)

#7 8-24-2017 8:16 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

I just read the OP.

I'd like to go to Singapore, Hong Kong, Hawaii, Tahiti, Grenada, Jamaica, Gibraltar.

Is Gibralter really an island? 

But yes, I wanted to exclude continents like Australia, and large island countries like Ireland, GB, and New Zealand.

And I did want you to pick islands that you would like to return to.  I couldn't pick Roatan as a favorite because although I'd love to go, I have never been there.

#8 8-24-2017 9:35 PM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Tourist

I haven't been to too many islands but my favourite is the one I live on (Vancouver Island). I also love to visit the Gulf Islands which are in between Vancouver Island and the mainland.

#9 8-24-2017 11:09 PM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

I loved Langkawi- beautiful beaches, wildlife and mountains. And Phu Quoc in Vietnam was wonderful, although they were building a much larger airport when I was there a decade ago so it might not be quite what it was then now. And St Johns in the US Virgins was lovely.

Away from the tropics, the islands off the coast of Scotland. Skye is the most famous but there are dozens. Beautiful hills and amazing beaches (even if more for the wildlife than sunbathing, in our predictably unpredictable climate), great sea food and bird life, castles, 4000 year old remains (older some places) and if you're lucky a ceilidh.

#10 8-25-2017 1:20 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

I would have said Ireland but it's just larger than your limit.

So I say Taiwan, a hugely under-rated destination.

There are plenty of islands in Ireland and Ireland's Eye just outside Dublin is probably my favourite as I see it every day:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/Ireland%27s_Eye_from_Howth_Harbour.jpg

#11 8-25-2017 1:52 AM

pilgrim68
Chris
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

Cyprus,Malta,Crete,Koh Samui,Caye Caulker. Have had great times on them all!

#12 8-25-2017 2:44 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Bandanaira, Indonesia

#13 8-25-2017 4:44 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

St. Martin

#14 8-25-2017 7:00 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

I have been to many islands, but after visited Galapagos a year ago, this is one of my favourite so far.

Last edited by shavy (8-25-2017 7:41 AM)

#15 8-25-2017 7:48 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Wanderer

I'd love to go to Galapagos.  I would also like to go and stay on St. Martin, but I haven't figured out a good way to get there from here.  (The same for Iceland)

I also like Grand Turk, but I'm not sure there's enough to do there for a week.

#16 8-25-2017 4:22 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

I loved Manhattan.
Straight up loved it.

Took a taxi boat to and from Manhattan from New Jersey.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-25-2017 4:25 PM)

#17 8-25-2017 5:54 PM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Sightseer

grandmar wrote:

I'd love to go to Galapagos.  I would also like to go and stay on St. Martin, but I haven't figured out a good way to get there from here.  (The same for Iceland)

It's easy to get to Iceland from Maryland, just hop on one of the $99 WOW flights out of BWI.

I really enjoyed a 4-day visit to Iceland (via one of those WOW flights). A lot of people choose to drive around the island, which seemed more like drudgery than vacation to me. I stayed in Reykjavik, and took a one-day bus tour to the main geological attractions.

It's a fun island, well worth the visit!

#18 8-25-2017 7:17 PM

Maurizioago
Maurizio
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

My favorite islands are Malta (well, it is an archipelago), Mallorca and Ischia (IT).

#19 8-26-2017 6:53 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Wanderer

milestx wrote:

grandmar wrote:

It's easy to get to Iceland from Maryland, just hop on one of the $99 WOW flights out of BWI.

I really enjoyed a 4-day visit to Iceland (via one of those WOW flights). A lot of people choose to drive around the island, which seemed more like drudgery than vacation to me. I stayed in Reykjavik, and took a one-day bus tour to the main geological attractions.

It's a fun island, well worth the visit!

That's good to know.  I was originally looking in 2009 for a trip in 2010 and WOW hadn't been established yet.  I hadn't looked recently.

#20 8-26-2017 11:04 AM

Toonsarah
Sarah
London Borough of Ealing, United Kingdom
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Couch Potato

I love Holy Island (Lindisfarne) off the north east coast of England - a magical place. Easter Island was also very special as were the Galapagos - my favourites there were Espanola and Genovese.

#21 8-26-2017 11:24 AM

maykal
Michael
Saint Andrews, Scotland
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Bedbug I
Sightseer

Lundy, a tiny place in the Bristol Channel. We used to go to north Devon a lot when I was a child, and Lundy was an exciting day trip. I went back a few years ago to stay for a week and it was great.

Any of the Faroe Islands.

The Kerkennah islands off Tunisia.

Going to La Gomera in the Canary Islands as a child felt like an adventure...I'd like to think it still would be today.

#22 8-26-2017 11:54 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

South Pacific Islands - Fiji and Samoa, very beautiful and relaxing.

I like Galapagos island too, but my favourite is Fiji island.

#23 8-26-2017 2:57 PM

itravel1
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Little Corn Island would be the first one I'd revisit
Tristan da Cunha  would love to spend a week there but its a little far for a repeat
Cuba  still a lot more to see there

#24 8-26-2017 3:30 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

The rock of Gibraltar's an island, right?

IDK, I've never been.
http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2009/0907/360_gibraltar_0720.jpg

According to Google Maps it's not, wow.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-26-2017 3:34 PM)

#25 8-26-2017 6:05 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Wanderer

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

The rock of Gibraltar's an island, right?

IDK, I've never been.

According to Google Maps it's not, wow.

I have been there and I went on bus tour so it isn't an island although it is somewhat cut off from the Spanish mainland (or was when I was there) by the need to go through customs. 

Sometimes places that were at one time islands are now firmly linked by road to the rest of the state or country (like Solomons Island, Maryland which if you aren't looking carefully, you will miss the bridge that you go over to get to the island).  Another example is Paradise Island (Nassau Bahamas although those bridges are quite visible)

Board footer