#1 8-22-2017 8:37 AM

zanzoon
Couch Potato

From Washington Dc to boston (train or plane)

Dears how are you ?

Comparing traveling by train against plane. What do you recommend ?
(taking in mind, the price, the distance, the most comfortable ; .... )
i will travel on late October 2017
P.s
I will have luggage's with me ( two checked in baggage and one carry on )
also if you could recommend me the cheapest airline, or website that i can use to book either train or plane
Many thanks

#2 8-22-2017 9:38 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: From Washington Dc to boston (train or plane)

A train from Union Station in D.C. to Boston will take 7.5 hours (a full day) and will cost $82 to $213 depending on which fare you select.  You will have to have your baggage with you - there is no checked baggage and the train may not keep exactly to schedule..

A plane from DCA to Boston takes 1.5 hours (plus an hour or so at the airport before the flight and some time getting baggage after the flight - so at least a half day) and costs between $88 and $173.00  plus $60 for the two checked bags.  That makes the $88 flight cost $148. 

So the train takes longer and is more comfortable and a little cheaper but you have to carry the bags .

Last edited by grandmar (8-22-2017 9:39 AM)

#3 8-22-2017 9:56 AM

harbinger
Cathy
Brussels, Belgium
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist

I would second Grandmar's suggestion that you take the train.
We've done this trip, and it was just lovely.  So it you'd like to make the journey part of the experience (rather than just something to get over and done with as soon as possible), then rail is the way to go.

#4 8-22-2017 11:24 AM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Soho London, United Kingdom
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Train is cheaper and you know what they say; It's not where you go but how you get there.
This also seems funnest.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-22-2017 11:24 AM)

#5 8-22-2017 11:44 AM

Zanzon
Couch Potato

grandmar wrote:

A train from Union Station in D.C. to Boston will take 7.5 hours (a full day) and will cost $82 to $213 depending on which fare you select.  You will have to have your baggage with you - there is no checked baggage and the train may not keep exactly to schedule..

A plane from DCA to Boston takes 1.5 hours (plus an hour or so at the airport before the flight and some time getting baggage after the flight - so at least a half day) and costs between $88 and $173.00  plus $60 for the two checked bags.  That makes the $88 flight cost $148. 

So the train takes longer and is more comfortable and a little cheaper but you have to carry the bags .

Thanks alot grandmar for the lovely reply

harbinger and ilikeitlikethat thanks for your reply, i think im gonna go wth you and try the train as a change smile thanks

#6 8-22-2017 3:23 PM

tour_guy
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

If you chose to travel by train, then there is a business class comfort train, Acela Express, as well. The fare will be expensive than the regular express trains, but you will be saving about an hour or so on the travel time. The train only has business and first class seats, but it is quiet, faster and nice.

Last edited by tour_guy (8-24-2017 3:41 AM)

#7 8-23-2017 9:40 PM

Travelnik
Couch Potato

Train for sure

#8 8-28-2017 1:21 PM

mattbechtel71
Matt
Sightseer

If you decide to go with the train, you would book on Amtrak.com. Remember to book at least 14 days in advance to get the early-bird rate. Train fares are higher for Friday and Sunday travel, so if you can manage it, try to travel on a weekday or Saturday to save some money.

#9 8-31-2017 10:54 AM

jethanad
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

mattbechtel71 wrote:

If you decide to go with the train, you would book on Amtrak.com. Remember to book at least 14 days in advance to get the early-bird rate. Train fares are higher for Friday and Sunday travel, so if you can manage it, try to travel on a weekday or Saturday to save some money.

this has been one of the most helpful posts and replies so far

Thank you for the question and thank you for the replies

Board footer