#1 8-21-2017 2:44 PM

Posts: 186

Guitar shopping on my vacation

I want to buy expensive guitars and want to save up £14, 000.00 for two nice guitars and 16 days in the US, 9 days in Oregon staying in Springfield Inn in Springfield near Eugene, 1 day trip to Portland from Eugene and take a train to Milwaukee to get a taxi to The Clarke Hotel in Waukesha for 5 days, while I go guitar shopping there.

I also want to buy other things but guitar shopping will be my big purchases in America.

Multi city flexible ticket
LHR - EUG connect in SLC
MKE - LHR connect in MSP
All Delta.

AmTrak Eugene change in Portland Friday to go to Milwaukee by train arrive Sunday.

Portland from Eugene for the day return, either $48 or $100.00 for my day trip there.

Springfield Hotel 9 days £358.00
Waukesha Hotel 5 days £500.00

I want 1 extra piece of baggage flying out @ £77.00
I want 3 extra pieces of baggage coming home @£? (I haven't asked yet).

The train from Eugene to Milwaukee via Portland is upwards of £130.00 plus getting me, my carry on, my 3 pieces of baggage (I'm getting 1 carry on 2 piece of checked baggage with my fare) will be £15.00 so £145.00 to get me and my 2 bags and Oregon guitar to Milwaukee.

I don't drive, I'm planning to use taxis and busses to get around and a little walking.
I want expensive guitars.

I figure I should come back to England with 2 nice guitars and enough to live off of until work again.

Asside from guitar shopping I want to check out Eugene and stay in Springfield and check out Springfield too.

I've got guitar shops in mind in Oregon and Wisconsin already.

Oregon...
Oregon Ducks
Eugene Emeralds
Springfield Museum
Pot/Weed (mom and pop hotel cool with this there)
Nike
Voodoo Doughnuts
Sizzle Pie
Tracktown USA
New Max's Tavern
Eugene Saturday Market
Pre's Trail
Eugene Masonic Cemetery

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-21-2017 2:56 PM)

#2 8-21-2017 4:23 PM

Re: Guitar shopping on my vacation

Might be time to start over.  Start with the macro and work to the micro.  The attached entertainers directory needs to be explored first. I am going to posit that your best odds are going to be entertainment towns like Los Angeles Las Vegas or Nashville.

http://entertainersrd.com/music_stores. … ryName=USA

When you look at the link compare the list in California to the list for Oregon to the list for the UK.....holy carp!!!

Last edited by katzgar (8-21-2017 4:24 PM)

#3 8-21-2017 6:10 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Posts: 460

But he wants to smoke pot.
I would have said go to Harrods for a guitar, but that is too easy.  Also we have a guitar factory in Baltimore (Paul Reed Smith) but I don't know how expensive they are.  I've been to their factory, but I didn't price the guitars.  I have two grandchildren who play guitars that are probably just a little younger than ilikeitlikethat.  One is only 16, but the other one is 24.

#4 8-22-2017 4:30 AM

Re: Guitar shopping on my vacation

This trip isn't about big cities everyone here (in England) has heard of. This is about  taking a break from busy metropolitans because at the end of it all I'm still coming back to Soho.
This trip is about Springfield, OR, Eugene/Track Town USA and Waukesha for my love of Les Paul and the guitar statues there and I found out yesterday that Waukesha has guitar walking tours and is dubbed 'Waukesha Guitar Town' - there's a reason why I'm not looking at Manhattan or Hollywood or Chicago, and that reason is 'not for this trip'.
I'm from London and I know guitar shops here.

Being able to smoke pot and finding a place that'll let me do it was a fluke/bonus.
When I first planned this trip I didn't know Oregon had pot or that they'd sell it to me.

I have 2 passions...
Guitar and running.

I found out after planning to go that Eugene had Pre's Trail and was also called Track Town USA. I decided it'll be fun to go to Waukesha when I looked into it because of Les Paul.. It looked alright then I saw guitar statues and street art and Waukesha became a done deal... Then yesterday after I decided I wanted to go, found out that they say Waukesha Guitar Town.

This trip is going to be great!.. smile

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-22-2017 4:41 AM)

#5 8-22-2017 4:46 AM

Re: Guitar shopping on my vacation

Staying in Springfield 'the real home of The Simpsons wink'
Track Town
Portland (for a day)
Waukesha Guitar Town

With enough money to buy 2 nice guitars (I want a nice guitar designed by Les Paul to bring back to London from the Waukesha trip)
And say I've been to Springfield (the pot was a bonus, really).

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-22-2017 4:47 AM)

#6 8-22-2017 5:31 AM

Re: Guitar shopping on my vacation

New York and California seem to have a number of the best makers.     http://hiconsumption.com/2016/10/best-g … the-world/

#7 8-22-2017 5:32 AM

grandmar wrote:

something like 8 states have legalized recreational pot

#8 8-22-2017 7:46 AM

grandmar wrote:

something like 8 states have legalized recreational pot

Cali says I must be a resident...
Also, Cali is another trip I want to do (Los Angeles, San Francisco) (not this trip)
Colorado is another trip I want to do (Christmas in Aspen/see Denver)...
This trip started out as 'Go to Springfield, OR' and then all the other things I'm interested came from that.
Waukesha is also something I'd like to do (while I'm in America and while I'm in America guitar shopping).

IDK what other states apart from OR, CA, CO have pot for recreation but tbh, I'm fine with OR for that/for this Springfield based trip).

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-22-2017 7:47 AM)

#9 8-22-2017 7:53 AM

Re: Guitar shopping on my vacation

I'm from a touristy area in a world city.
I'm from an area that Manhattan was like 'walking around in London'..

I'm all for cliché America, and not another big A' city since I'm from a big A' city - for this trip.

One day I'd like to see LA, Chicago too etc... but, not this trip.
I'm sort of breaking the rules a bit going to Portland but, I like the idea of going to Portland like I like the idea of going to Austin, TX.

Texas is also somewhere I'd like to go and see and Austin is on my bucket list.

But then so is Springfield, OR. (for different reasons).

I'm looking forward to Masonic Cemetery in Eugene as well as 'Track Town USA/Nike culture/Pre's Trail is on my list now too to do with my GPS app I use and have used once on a weekend in Amsterdam, NL before'.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-22-2017 8:08 AM)

#10 8-22-2017 7:57 AM

Re: Guitar shopping on my vacation

16 days, 2 nice guitars, Springfield, USA food and TV and a bonus of pot tourism and going to where Les Paul is from.
Is more than enough fun for me.

Love guitar, love running.

I'm wondering though, basic £130.00 ticket or £400.00 (rounding it up) ticket with a bed for 2 days on a train.

The train I'd also take is one that I've seen on TV and always thought looked cool and wouldn't mind riding it. - it's also the only train from OR to WI. (Another little bonus of many bonuses I've found).

#11 8-22-2017 8:01 AM

Re: Guitar shopping on my vacation

Les Paul before he signed with Gibson actually worked with others like Fender.
I doubt I'd be able to afford them though.
I want a Les Paul designed guitar from Waukesha (and that area) and I love Gibson.

Maybe one day I'd go to Memphis, but, again, not this trip, this 5 day add on is because I want to go to where he's from AND... I didn't have to look far to see them embrace and honour my favourite guitar with statues and public art and museums etc etc... Really cool.

#12 8-22-2017 8:26 AM

That being said...
I'm also a Fender Guy and, knowing me if I ever did a trip to see California that started in San Francisco and went down to Los Angeles and even maybe San Deigo for a day, sure, I'd like to visit Fender sites in California like everything else I want to do... but then...

This for me and this trip, would be a cop out trip (Plan B maybe/sounds funner with a license and a car too)/A trip to Las Vegas in a hostel without pot lol would be me backing out of doing this trip where I get to go where others haven't heard of for things that are just as cool, and I get to watch The Simpsons forever after and go
'been there'...
'That's where I was in America'...
'was there for 9 days'
'I've been there...' etc etc etc...

Too cool to pass up.

It's an old part of town that has titty bars and is only somewhere you'd go if you were on business and had to and they don't get many people from around the world so I wouldn't likely run into other holiday makers or anyone from around the world at that hotel according to the honest hotel who I spoke with over the phone - I found out though when I did that that have a place to do your laundry on site though (There's this laundromat close by too on the way to the other other thing on the block that's not tool hire or a tool shop, the titty bar)/all on that block. Everything else is near by or walkable. (I work in construction in the UK, I plan to pop in the tool shop, compare American PPE to my own PPE, maybe buy a US hard hat lol)... Fun for the construction worker in me when I'm not studying.
I see graffiti and people hanging on street corners looking poor & white, every one there looks white almost on Google Maps Street View...
So almost everyone's yellow like on that TV show the Simpsons lol, I'm, a geek.
And.. IDK, it's walkable too with a transit system and taxis that all look usable for $3.50 a day for a bus pass and $40 - $45 from one extreme (all the way out west passed Eugene to their airport on the out skirts)... which is like £30.00 which is actually a very good deal to my London based world.
That's a good cost of living right there.
The place I want for its location also was the only smoking room I find that didn't care about pot.
I'm hiding my stuff at night. They have cable, they have food close by and grocery stores and a microwave and a fridge.
It complains of no curtains and loud people shouting all night on Google, but then... Welcome to London.
I'm just hiding my things and guitars so no one sees it while I'm out just to be safe, and Waukesha I could relax about that as it would be less roughing it.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-22-2017 9:09 AM)

#13 8-22-2017 8:58 AM

Re: Guitar shopping on my vacation

Las Vegas has a hostel with a pool for a fraction of the price that also picks you up and drops you off at the airport and I'd go to Roman Guitars (because I've heard of them in England) and other Las Vegas sites I've seen on History Channel and is in the US so my $60.00 in my wallet won't have been exchanged in vane, Chicago, Los Angeles... are affordable too.
Philadelphia and New York City/New Jersey/Delaware are too close for it not to be a family trip and I don't want to do that for this trip'...
But... So far I'm liking planning for my trip I want where I save my money and buy guitars there (instead of England).

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-22-2017 8:59 AM)

#14 8-24-2017 4:40 PM

#15 8-24-2017 5:03 PM

you any good kid?

I'm like
r5J-zFBVJPA
b2UZkvm6-Q4

Why can't I post any links yet?
That's annoying.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-24-2017 5:05 PM)

#16 8-24-2017 5:08 PM

WHEN CAN I POST LINKS.

I'm not liking that I can't.

I've got 163 posts, it's time I was allowed to post links too...

I can't share anything I find until I do.

I'm actually thinking about leaving this community because it's annoying how I can't post any links.

#17 8-24-2017 5:18 PM

Re: Guitar shopping on my vacation

I haven't been to the US since 2004, and I learned at the travel agents today in town that the US has changed, and that I'd have to pay $14 for an ESTA and that'll be valid for multiple entries for 2 years.

I'm a little confused...

I think I apply online, and if approved, print off a number/code for the border when entering the US.

**Back in my day, you filled out your green form on the aeroplane, gve it to immigration, they staple it to your passport and remove when you leave.

2G-m60L_Ck0

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-24-2017 5:20 PM)

#18 8-24-2017 5:20 PM

Re: Guitar shopping on my vacation

cant you just copy and paste the links?

#19 8-24-2017 5:21 PM

2G-m60L_Ck0

i suggest stopping by or calling the US embassy. you might show a barcode on your smartphone or somesuch

Last edited by katzgar (8-24-2017 5:30 PM)

#20 8-24-2017 5:21 PM

katzgar wrote:

cant you just copy and paste the links?

Nope, posting guidelines comes up and won't let me post until I remove all links.
I can't even quote a quote with a link.

#21 8-24-2017 5:23 PM

i suggest stopping by or calling the US embassy

I'm fine with the website and $14.00 for my ESTA and printing off any codes they give me.

But I guess to be sure, I could double check with the embassy about the piece of paper for CBP and what I'd need for my trip.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-24-2017 5:24 PM)

#22 8-24-2017 5:38 PM

i suggest stopping by or calling the US embassy

I'll give you one last tune   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-C_HVoiJpY

#23 8-24-2017 5:44 PM

#24 8-25-2017 7:23 AM

Re: Guitar shopping on my vacation

I've just bought/booked my first ticket for this trip.

I've booked my day in Portland.

At the end, the bus I wanted with Amtrak to return to Eugene at the time I wanted didn't have any checked baggage, so I booked with Greyhound.
I also saved $48.00 but more importantly, they said I can take a guitar.
So if I buy my Oregon guitar in Portland, then this is the point of having that allowance.
I still might just buy it in Eugene, but, I am a man who likes to know his options are options.

Greyhound, also, sounds more 'poetic' to me. Since I've heard of them and now, I'm going to be taking one.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-25-2017 7:24 AM)

#25 8-27-2017 2:22 PM

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

I've just bought/booked my first ticket for this trip.

I've booked my day in Portland.

I also saved $48.00 but more importantly, they said I can take a guitar.

Look up Bolt Bus

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer