#26 10-15-2017 7:12 PM

Stella
India
Posts: 4

For satisfaction
For refreshment from every day hard life
To know more about our spaces
To have fun while traveling

#28 10-19-2017 4:17 AM

jacobi
Bendigo, Australia
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 963

Re: why do we travel?

To escape a couple of weeks from a stressful job

#30 10-19-2017 7:38 PM

cheeze213
Award: Happy Happy Happy
Posts: 39

rupalsingh wrote:

To get rid of the daily routine.

Second that!

#31 10-20-2017 8:32 AM

SpencerNoferengton
Spencer
Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 1

Re: why do we travel?

It is new amazing experience and new friends!

#32 10-23-2017 1:55 AM

Kouros
Kathmandu, Nepal
Posts: 13

Re: why do we travel?

"Go at least once a year to a place you've never been before." Dalai Lama

#33 10-24-2017 6:05 PM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer
Posts: 1673

Re: why do we travel?

It  is so exciting to see the world. Period. End of story. Looking at the same place day after day year after year is soul destroying to me.

#34 10-26-2017 6:56 AM

jake0020
Jake
Essex, England
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 144

Re: why do we travel?

To discover different cultures, explore different environments, escape routines, meet new people and make the most of my life.

#35 11-29-2017 6:13 AM

ryanltzw
Leo
Singapore
Posts: 12

Re: why do we travel?

I think it's basically the escapist mentality where we travel to experience a new land/sight/sound/food in order to get away from our mundane lives back home. It's an adventure each time and that's why most of us feel the dread going back after a good holiday.

#36 11-29-2017 4:20 PM

Geneva, Switzerland
Award: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi II
Posts: 252

Re: why do we travel?

Some people 'travel' to collect places instead of the reasons above. I read a very interesting article on this but couldn't find it anymore.

#38 12-1-2017 5:00 PM

Aaron101
Aaron
Maidenhead, England
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 331

Re: why do we travel?

I'm not sure what I meant to say in my original post, but I think I wanted to imply that travel for most ppl is intrinsically about 'me, me, me'

well I haven't seen anyone say they travel to GIVE. For instance coaching football to deprived boys in Africa, teaching English to orphans in Cambodia, or helping to build a well for people in Carlisle.

.... not that I do these things either, but just sayin'....

#39 12-2-2017 12:32 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 6000

Aaron101 wrote:

.... not that I do these things either, but just sayin'....

Well, there was the six month stint in post-conflict Northern Uganda working with a local hospital, when my husband was researching a fatal lung disease in the area.  I met quite a lot of the people you're describing.  And they are lovely, well meaning people, but there's quite a lot of me me me going on there too.

If you are planning on coaching football in Africa (and why focus just on boys, by the way?) or teaching orphans in Cambodia or digging a well in Carlisle even, are you a football coach, or a teacher, or a well digger?  If not, you are like as not just paying a lot of money to do a job that a local football player or well digger could get a wage for doing better if there wasn't an inexhaustable supply of well meaning foreigners to do it.  Africa is dotted with half built, bad quality orphanages built by 18 year old Brits and Americans which aren't staffed, aren't fully equipped and then fail.

And donations aren't consulted on with what the locals actually need.  Gulu regional referral hospital had incubators, but no reliable electricity supply, and no running water to some wards.  It had an operating theatre, but in the wet season goods couldn't get up the road.  The biggest impact on health in that region will come when the Chinese finish building their working road, the new market hall takes off and someone sticks in some proper electricity mains.  So the person I met making the biggest difference was a solar engineer, with proper qualifications, not a backpacker with big hopes.

There's an interesting half an hour ot be had reading of the fake orphanages that are set up to attract well meaning donations across the developing world, and how very bad it is for vulnerable children to learn English for a few weeks from an unqualified westerner who leaves just as they were starting to form relationships.

My role was a bit different - the job I was doing was a favour to the UK hospital that was trying to improve the work they were doing to be more responsive to African needs, rather than the other way around.  And husband couldn't have done his research in the UK, but provided a waged job and training to two local lab workers, and a driver, out of his grant.  But there's nothing less me-me-me about Westerners doing jobs they aren't trained for in settings they don't understand, compared to them lying on a beach but some locals getting some meaningful jobs off the back of the foreign exchange the tourist industry brings in.

Last edited by sarahelaine (12-2-2017 12:33 AM)

#40 12-3-2017 3:16 AM

Aaron101
Aaron
Maidenhead, England
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 331

Re: why do we travel?

Well, yes. My philosophy is to do nothing rather than make a pig's ear of it. I apply this consistently, whether travelling or not.

The only time I can remember helping anyone abroad is when I was 9 years old or so in Bahrain and this hot arab woman needed a male escort (any male) when she went out shopping. Local customs...

#41 12-3-2017 3:58 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 6000

Aaron101 wrote:

I'm a totally enormous insufferable goody goody and do attempt to help where I can.  I just think abroad, I rarely know enough about the place and the situation to do it. I tend to do my helping at home, and apart from attempting to shop fair trade (to be honest that's about all you can do in Northern Uganda - you're too close to source for all that many middle men to have been involved) and spend local when I can, I'll stay out of it.

Bahrain sounds like you were very gallant and entirely self sacrificing, right? At 9 I would have needed a fair amount of chocolate to change hands before I agreed to a shopping trip - not sure how well that would work in Bahrain...

Last edited by sarahelaine (12-3-2017 3:59 AM)

#42 12-11-2017 3:28 AM

elizabethtrvl
Posts: 4

Re: why do we travel?

People travel because they want to learn others cultures...

Board footer