#1 8-21-2017 4:55 AM

siank73
United Kingdom
Couch Potato

Where to base yourself in San Francisco

hi, i'm thinking of visiting San Francisco at the end of sept for 4/5 nights, where would be the best place to base yourself, and is 4/5 nights enough, this is a first time for me in SF as a solo traveler anyone got any tips

#2 8-21-2017 11:25 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Re: Where to base yourself in San Francisco

The closer you will be to popular attractions the higher the room price such as in Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square.

Certainly take a ride the famous symbol of San Francisco the old cable car. This run three routes: Powell-Hyde, Powell-Mason and California Street. The Powell-Hyde route takes you from Fisherman's Wharf to Union Square. 4/5 nights are good enough for me, San Francisco City is expensive for accommodation

Last edited by shavy (8-21-2017 11:27 AM)

#3 8-22-2017 8:15 AM

pinkpeardrops
Colchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

I stayed at the HI fort Mason hostel which is a short walk from the city centre. The hostel had free breakfast and you could also get lunch/dinner there.

Riding the cable cars was a good way to see the city. As was the hop on hop off bus. If you plan on going to Alcatraz book before hand as ticket can sell out quickly.

#4 8-23-2017 9:36 PM

Travelnik
Couch Potato

Cheaper to stay in the East bay - OAK, HWD and take the BART to San Francisco

#5 8-24-2017 7:41 AM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Sightseer

I agree with pinkpearldrops, the hostel at Fort Mason is a good choice. San Francisco has a well-developed city bus system as well as the BART metro system.

Note that the western side of San Francisco is cold, particularly in the summer.

#6 8-25-2017 4:48 AM

kvom
Kirk
Cumming, Georgia
Award: Photographer IAward: Writer IAward: Vox Populi IV
Explorer

Years ago I'd travel to SF for business and then stay the weekend.  I found that the airport hotels had very cheap weekend rates, so I stayed there are took BART or CalTrain into the city.  I haven't been back for 10 years though.

Board footer