#1 8-14-2017 2:40 PM

jess95
Couch Potato

cannot decide on krabi or ko samui

hello,

i'm visiting Thailand soon and cannot decide if I should visit koh samui

I have 6 days, so i'm thinking of splitting 3 days for each location or shall I spend the whole 6 days in one location like krabi and explore the other surroundings islands

which location would you spend more time in krabi or koh samui

#2 8-14-2017 3:33 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Re: cannot decide on krabi or ko samui

I've been to both island Krabi and Koh Samui. My preference is Koh Samui, there, you have choices from different beaches. While Krabi is not much more than a long strip of restaurants, hotels and other establishments, so 2 nights in Krabi is sufficient

Last edited by shavy (8-14-2017 3:52 PM)

#3 8-15-2017 3:54 AM

Ranchero
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

Depends on what you'd like...

I'm also contemplating on choosing between Phuket and Krabi. Ko Samui would have been my 3rd choice and I dropped it after checking out some videos.

I'm more in for the scenery and I think Krabi tops the others. So, I'd choose Krabi if I were you. It seems more beautiful.

I am also looking forward to my first trip to Thailand!

Have a great trip!

#4 8-15-2017 7:49 AM

jess95
Couch Potato

i'm not just a beach person, i like to get out and explore etc

i went to phuket last year amazing place, so much to do

i think i might end up going to both places krabi and ko samui

#5 8-15-2017 9:03 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

jess95 wrote:

i'm not just a beach person, i like to get out and explore etc

i went to phuket last year amazing place, so much to do

i think i might end up going to both places krabi and ko samui

I agree, visit these two islands, Krabi has beautiful green environment  while Koh Samui has beautiful white sandy beaches 😊

#6 8-15-2017 10:33 AM

jess95
Couch Potato

for white sandy beaches where is the best location or is it all over the island coast

#7 8-15-2017 10:37 AM

jess95
Couch Potato

where would be the ideal place to base yourself in krabi if I wanted to visit the other islands like maya bay, phi phi

Last edited by jess95 (8-15-2017 10:52 AM)

#8 8-15-2017 11:06 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

jess95 wrote:

for white sandy beaches where is the best location or is it all over the island coast

You'll find sandy beach all over the island

#9 8-15-2017 11:10 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

jess95 wrote:

There are beaches all around Samui, but I wouldn't say they were exactly white sand. The only real white sand I found was on a day trip by boat to Koh Nuanyang near Koh Tao. Lamai has a gentler slope than Chaweng when entering the water. On the western side there are some nice beaches, pretty flat. The south side beaches are a little rocky, but the beach near Laem Set is a nice cove.

#10 8-15-2017 11:15 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

jess95 wrote:

where would be the ideal place to base yourself in krabi if I wanted to visit the other islands like maya bay, phi phi

Ao Nang will be a good choice, if you want to stay near the beaches and nightlife

#11 8-15-2017 11:25 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

jess95 wrote:

To get to Phiphi and then Maya Bay you will need to get along  to the western side of Krabi at the embarcation point past Nopparat Thara beach.  In general agencies will arrange a pick-up from your hotel to take you. You should know, before booking that Krabi town is nowhere near the main beach area of Railey and Ao Nang. Plenty of choices in Ao Nang at reasonable prices.
So you must take a boat first to Koh Phiphi and from there another tourist boat that goes out to Maya beach.
Know also that there is a fee to pay on Phiphi to get onto the island, and also (probably since the film) at Maya Bay there is a 200 baht tax to get onto the beach. Some tours may include this in their price. If you do not get off the boat, there is no fee to pay.

#12 8-15-2017 11:31 PM

TravChef
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

Nov-Jan go to Krabi

July-August go to Samui

#13 8-17-2017 12:45 AM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer

I would stay on one side...unless you want to waste the travel day getting to the other side to Surat Thani and then to Samui. Why waste the day? Even getting to a plane and then flying over and then transport...? Why. Krabi is chill. Ton Sai Beach is laid back...(it was) and you can easily get to Railay. A less than 2 hour ho to Phi Phi with nite life and all of that. Rock climbing and boating all around. Samui is much larger with way more to do as it is a major tourist island (not that Krabi isn't but more chilled). And I love Samui but with a short time I would pick a side. Koh Lanta is an option too!

#14 8-17-2017 1:11 AM

Bojasem
Taher
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

I visited both location  krabi  and  koh samui .I think both are great .However ,Samui  not full with activities like Krabi.

#15 8-17-2017 2:53 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Tourist

Bojasem wrote:

I visited both location  krabi  and  koh samui .I think both are great .However ,Samui  not full with activities like Krabi.

Depends what activities you want.....

#16 8-17-2017 8:17 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad

Bojasem wrote:

I visited both location  krabi  and  koh samui .I think both are great. However ,Samui  not full with activities like Krabi.

Every one has its own opinion, as mentioned it depends what kind of activities. So many islands in Thailand, but my favourite island is Koh Kood, an unspoiled piece of paradise in Thailand. There is no nightlife even restaurants are scarce, going there is purely relaxed away from the crowds.

Last edited by shavy (8-17-2017 8:17 AM)

#17 8-18-2017 7:10 PM

denisx
Douglas
Bedford, Texas
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

Splitting it in half is a good idea, especially for your first time there. I really love Krabi though. It's more laid back then Phuket. Beautiful limestone cliffs everywhere

Board footer