#1 8-14-2017 11:59 AM

New York, New York
Couch Potato
Posts: 1

Portugal in February

I am debating traveling to Portugal (Lisbon and Porto) in the beginning of February for 7 days. I have read that the weather is not great often chilly and not sunny, and I am aware this time of the year isn't beach season, but was curious if it is still worth to visit. I was thinking of spending 4 nights in Lisbon day trip to Sintra and Cascias and 3 nights in Porto with a day trip to Douro Valley. I haven't been able to find any information if the wineries in Douro are open or not. Are there enough activities besides going to museum to do, or is it better to scarp this idea and travel else where?

Todd

#2 8-14-2017 12:31 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 822

Re: Portugal in February

February is winter in Europe and so as in Portugal smile

Portugal has mild winter comparing to other European countries. Beach is absolutely out of way at this time of year. I like visiting Portugal in the winter as it less visitors

The best time to visit Douro valley is in autum- but if you join a day tour I think there should be wine cellar open for tours.

Lisbon and Porto both are beautiful city, I'm sure you have enough things to do without going into the museums.

Last edited by shavy (8-14-2017 12:37 PM)

#3 8-15-2017 2:16 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 5948

Re: Portugal in February

Portugal has a long Atlantic coast- if you want better weather you'd be better on the med- but it's at least far enough south that daylight won't be as much of an issue as Northern Europe.

Personally February is one of my favourite times for a city break. Lisbon is high on my wish list. The architecture doesn't shut for the winter and winter light can be beautiful. Generally restaurants will be open and welcoming and there'll be plenty of that wine to drink. The countryside is harder, just because there's less in the way of tourist attractions open, and bad weather can limit the fun of hiking and things. But it's often still worth seeing, especially if you are lucky with the weather.

I'm sure you found the visit Portugal website, but have you tried contacting them through twitter or Facebook? The contacts are at the bottom of the page. https://www.visitportugal.com/en/conten … gJpXvD_BwE

#4 8-15-2017 1:26 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Globetrotter
Posts: 17592

Re: Portugal in February

I've been in Portugal in winter a few times and weather often like an Irish summer - sunny and temperatures up to 20 degrees.  Certainly a lot warmer than New York at that time of year, even though both at same latitude.  It should not get very cold but it could be grey and raining. Sunshine and blue skies certainly not guaranteed.

#5 8-19-2017 12:33 AM

emjaaay2
Sightseer
Posts: 99

nytodd wrote:

Todd

I was in Portugal for the first week of February last year! It was absolutely amazing!!! Mostly because I'm from NY and I hate high-tourist season. I loved the empty walking tours, empty museums, bars crowded with locals and not tourists. It gave me the Portuguese vibe I wanted and not the tourist vibe that most get in mid-summer.

I spent 4 nights in Lisbon so I can't comment anything else, but many things in Sintra were open and operating. Just know that things close fairly early there (around 4-5PM) so be up early!

Board footer