#1 8-14-2017 11:59 AM

nytodd
New York, New York
Posts: 1

Portugal in February

I am debating traveling to Portugal (Lisbon and Porto) in the beginning of February for 7 days. I have read that the weather is not great often chilly and not sunny, and I am aware this time of the year isn't beach season, but was curious if it is still worth to visit. I was thinking of spending 4 nights in Lisbon day trip to Sintra and Cascias and 3 nights in Porto with a day trip to Douro Valley. I haven't been able to find any information if the wineries in Douro are open or not. Are there enough activities besides going to museum to do, or is it better to scarp this idea and travel else where?

Todd

#2 8-14-2017 12:31 PM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 963

Re: Portugal in February

February is winter in Europe and so as in Portugal smile

Portugal has mild winter comparing to other European countries. Beach is absolutely out of way at this time of year. I like visiting Portugal in the winter as it less visitors

The best time to visit Douro valley is in autum- but if you join a day tour I think there should be wine cellar open for tours.

Lisbon and Porto both are beautiful city, I'm sure you have enough things to do without going into the museums.

Last edited by shavy (8-14-2017 12:37 PM)

#3 8-15-2017 2:16 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Globetrotter
Posts: 6000

Re: Portugal in February

Portugal has a long Atlantic coast- if you want better weather you'd be better on the med- but it's at least far enough south that daylight won't be as much of an issue as Northern Europe.

Personally February is one of my favourite times for a city break. Lisbon is high on my wish list. The architecture doesn't shut for the winter and winter light can be beautiful. Generally restaurants will be open and welcoming and there'll be plenty of that wine to drink. The countryside is harder, just because there's less in the way of tourist attractions open, and bad weather can limit the fun of hiking and things. But it's often still worth seeing, especially if you are lucky with the weather.

I'm sure you found the visit Portugal website, but have you tried contacting them through twitter or Facebook? The contacts are at the bottom of the page. https://www.visitportugal.com/en/conten … gJpXvD_BwE

#4 8-15-2017 1:26 PM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Globetrotter
Posts: 17618

Re: Portugal in February

I've been in Portugal in winter a few times and weather often like an Irish summer - sunny and temperatures up to 20 degrees.  Certainly a lot warmer than New York at that time of year, even though both at same latitude.  It should not get very cold but it could be grey and raining. Sunshine and blue skies certainly not guaranteed.

#5 8-19-2017 12:33 AM

emjaaay2
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 103

nytodd wrote:

Todd

I was in Portugal for the first week of February last year! It was absolutely amazing!!! Mostly because I'm from NY and I hate high-tourist season. I loved the empty walking tours, empty museums, bars crowded with locals and not tourists. It gave me the Portuguese vibe I wanted and not the tourist vibe that most get in mid-summer.

I spent 4 nights in Lisbon so I can't comment anything else, but many things in Sintra were open and operating. Just know that things close fairly early there (around 4-5PM) so be up early!

#6 10-22-2017 3:34 AM

TravelTrish
Patricia
Northampton, England
Posts: 2

Re: Portugal in February

Aveiro which is an hour from Porto on the train has its own micro cimate and is often warmer than elsewhere. From Aveiro a short bus ride to the painted beach houses on the Costa Nova. Aveiro has a canal system. Lovely place and wonderful people.

#7 10-23-2017 7:23 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist
Posts: 134

Re: Portugal in February

Coming from cold country, Portugal is warm in the winter to me. I was there in January and running around in a vest. No swimming - but not worried about that. The crowds were few, which is nice.

#8 10-25-2017 1:14 PM

Geromimo
Posts: 3

Re: Portugal in February

Don’t expect a white christmas! For an European country, it is very warm.

Lisbon, the capital and largest city, never got bellow zero in recorded history.

And while in Porto, the second city, it has dropped bellow zero a few times, it is still rare, and the daily mean temperature is over 10 Celsius during most of the winter.

Close to the ocean, where most big cities are located, you hardly ever get bellow zero Celsius. Snow and ice are so rare that if they happen, you can literally expect an impromptu holiday.

In the countryside it does get a bit colder, but still it is not that common to spend an entire day bellow zero in those cities, let alone a week. You can only find what most non-portuguese people would consider “real snow�  in high altitudes.

However, just as a word of caution, felling cold is not only about temperature. When you are living close to the ocean you have to expect wind, rain and humidity in high levels, and most people are very sensitive to that.

But to be fair, the best thing about the Portuguese winter is not the cold, or the lack of it, but the sun. You can always expect over 4 hours of sunshine in your average December day. Real sunshine, with the sun freely touching your skin with no clouds in between.

No reasons to be afraid at all. Come and enjoy Portugal any time of the year

#9 10-30-2017 1:39 AM

patrickjake
Posts: 29

Re: Portugal in February

We have  been in Portugal in winter a few times and we very much enjoyed our tour of the Douro port vineyards, the lunch was truly great and authentic Portuguese cuisine. George, our driver and guide, was a very proud man of Porto. Good knowledge of the countryside, a good driver and provided very good background and historical information about Douro the vineyards and the production processes to get the various kinds of Port A very good tour for us and an exceptional day

#10 11-3-2017 2:42 PM

matthew
Matthew
Nottingham, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 3720

Re: Portugal in February

I think it's a good plan.  You haven't gone for too much, and I think you're judging you're time well to see the highlight.  Aviero is nice, but Duoro Valley is better.  I think with 3 nights in Porto, you would do better to see Duoro the Aviero.  If you are fine for time, you can always see Aviero or Braga for half a day from Porto.

You are right to forget the beaches at that time of year.

Board footer