#1 8-14-2017 1:59 AM

Posts: 342

Thailand Visa on Arrival? Did you try?

Hi,

Thailand provides "visa on arrival" at the airport if your stay is not longer than 15 days in the country. As I've understood from official sources in the country of my residence.

I want to travel there and apply for the 15-day visa at the airport, but feeling a bit weird about the whole thing.

I am planning to arrive in Bangkok and probably take a few trips to: Ayutthaya, Phuket or Krabi, Chiang Mai.

Have you tried it?

Did it work for you?

How long did it take and what did you have to do?

#2 8-14-2017 2:23 AM

fransglobal
Francis
Moderator
Globetrotter
Posts: 17592

Re: Thailand Visa on Arrival? Did you try?

If you are American citizen, in Thailand you do not need to apply for visa on arrival and do not get any visa. If you arrive by air,  you are allowed to enter Thailand without any visa for 30 days.

At least that's my understanding for Americans but I'm not American. But it's the same for Irish, admission for 30 days without a visa. That's what I've done every time I've visited Thailand by air.

Just go to passport control. They will normally just stamp your passport, give you 30 days entry without any visa.

#3 8-14-2017 2:33 AM

gingerbatik
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IVAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 1961

Re: Thailand Visa on Arrival? Did you try?

agree what Fransglobal said. I am not American and I been to Thailand many times with visa on arrival (which mean you get in free visa, without a need to apply for it) and get stamp when arrived in Thai airport. Usually it is valid for 30 days.

I been in and out of Thailand within the 30 days period without any problem.

#4 8-14-2017 4:27 AM

^
Unfortunately with my passport (I'm not a US citizen) I do need a visa and, there is this option for the 15 day visa. I want to learn more about how it works.

#5 8-14-2017 5:30 AM

gingerbatik
Posts: 1961

Re: Thailand Visa on Arrival? Did you try?

if you need visa, you must apply to Thailand embassy in your own country.  If it is normal visa, you only allow to be in Thailand as per period mention in your visa.  If you get multiple entry visa, you can go in and out of THailand until the period mention in your visa.

Contact Thai embassy in your own country to get more information.

#6 8-14-2017 5:36 AM

bhush2006
Bhushan
Pune, India
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 467

Re: Thailand Visa on Arrival? Did you try?

I am an Indian citizen and we require VISA for travelling to Thailand.
We can obtain visa in Thai Embassy in India as well as VOA facility is available for us. I ave tried both the modes and they both worked for me.

So, if your nationality allows VOA for Thailand then there should not be any problem for you.

Just be prepared to queue up in a long line (sometimes) for VOA process.

Bhushan

Nomad
Posts: 826

Ranchero wrote:

^

The best source about it is to asked the Thai Embassy in your home country. Visa rules can change easily. In this forum no one can give you the exact answers. I only know most European passport can get a free visa on arrival for 30 days

I mostly flying in and out of BKK when traveling to Southeast Asia stay one night and continue to my final destination, is for us cheaper to stopver in BKK

#8 8-14-2017 9:46 AM

^
I know about the Thai Embassy, I was just curious about anyone else's experiences.
bhush2006 said there might be long lines and that alone raises concern. That I want to avoid. Especially after a long tiring flight. I think it's better to request visa in advance at the embassy, after all.

Of course, I wouldn't rely exclusively on anyone's opinion posted onto a forum, but the sharing of experience would surely be helpful.

Last edited by Ranchero (8-14-2017 10:28 AM)

#9 8-14-2017 11:12 AM

pfsmalo
Paul
Saint Malo, France
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist
Posts: 112

Re: Thailand Visa on Arrival? Did you try?

It might be helpful if you actually posted what passport you have so, perhaps a fellow citizen may be more capable of helping you.

#10 8-14-2017 10:25 PM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Posts: 360

Re: Thailand Visa on Arrival? Did you try?

Long lines you can have also if you have your visa already, recently in Don Muang (Bangkok lowkost airport) a 4 hour wait!!

#11 8-15-2017 3:47 AM

^
Suvarnabhumi Airport should be a better choice, I think. Newer, theoretically more space. But crowds could still occur due to schedule, management, the number of travelers.

#12 8-15-2017 4:49 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Nomad
Posts: 826

Re: Thailand Visa on Arrival? Did you try?

Long queues for immigrations are almost overall either in Don Muang or  Suvarnabhumi airport. Bangkok is another busiest airport of Southeast Asia 😊

Last edited by shavy (8-15-2017 4:50 AM)

#13 8-16-2017 1:41 AM

nolan
Posts: 3768

Re: Thailand Visa on Arrival? Did you try?

As the last 3 posters mentioned, immigration lines are fairly long in either Don Muaeng or Suvarnabhumi Airports, especially later in the day. Early morning arrivals don't seem to have that issue unless you see a few widebody jets arrive at the same time.

I've experienced over an hour long waits at immigration at least twice. But not as long as 4 hours which Uli mentioned.

Here's a likely reason why: http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/adv … eaving-ban

#14 8-17-2017 12:02 AM

matt231
Brisbane, Australia
Couch Potato
Posts: 3

Re: Thailand Visa on Arrival? Did you try?

It isn't easy at the beginning but all can be very quick afterwards. Thai Custom is very transparent and good.

Board footer