#1 8-9-2017 1:48 AM

gezhammo
Gerard
Perth, Australia
Couch Potato

Spanish Lessons in South America

Hello,

I am planning on travelling to South America for a few months in 2018. I am a 24 year old Australian male and would like to take Spanish lessons for a few weeks before backpacking around South America. I have not decided the time of year exactly I will be going, but will definitely be after June 2018. I haven't decided where I will be going exactly, but I know I want to see a lot of Central/South America, and would love to have some Spanish lessons and perhaps meet a travel partner (s). Any advice about the best place to start, or the best place/method to learn Spanish and potential travel options are GREATLY APPRECIATED smile smile

Muchas Gracias!!

#2 8-9-2017 3:10 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: Spanish Lessons in South America

Antigua Guatemala is a good place for Spanish lessons, a nice small town with a long history in teaching Spanish
http://www.guatemala365.com/
Otavalo in Ecuador is also a good place

#3 8-9-2017 4:23 AM

margunn
margunn
Bergen, Norway
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

I took Spanish lessons in Guanajuato,Mexico last year. It's a great city, not to big,coulorfull houses and beautiful surrounding, but no beach. First I did 1 week in Instituto Tonali. Dont recommend that school,they don't have much activities after classes and all the other students was Japanese. Nothing against Japanese people,but they where theier own little group. I liked the teachers though. Then I changed to Escoula Falcon http://escuelafalcon.com
Did 2 weeks there. Relly enjoyed that school. I lived with a very lovely cople in a homestay.

I have also taken Spanish lessons in Costa Rica and Guatemala,but that's 6 years ago.  In Costa Rica I went 1 month to CRLA outside of San Jose   
http://www.spanishandmore.com.
This is a big and very professional school,but a bit expensive.  They have a lot of activities. 
When I got  Guatemala  some months later i took 2 more weeks in  Quetzeltenango (Xela) at a school called Kie Balam http://www.kiebalam.com Of all the Spanish school I have been to,this is by far my favorite.  It's quiet small,when I was there we wher only 6-8 students. Really got to know them, both the other students and teachers. There is many activities, excursions and comunial meals we could take part in. We spend time at the school in our free time to. I was there in Easter.  If you have the chanse to be in Guatemala for Easter that something I really recommend, it was spectacular.Didn't like my host family that much though.

Last edited by margunn (8-9-2017 4:25 AM)

#4 8-9-2017 5:44 AM

planxty
Fergy
London, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

I appreciate that it is a long time since I was there but when I was in Ecuador it seemed to very popular for learning Spanish including homestays which are the best way to learn.

#5 8-9-2017 5:50 AM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Sightseer

I don't have any direct experience, but I do know that Costa Rica is well regarded for Spanish lessons.

I lived in Argentina for a year and learned Spanish. My advice would be to NOT take lessons there, because their native idiom is a mix of current Spanish, archaic Spanish and Italian. The dialect is instantly recognizable.

#6 8-9-2017 8:22 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Award: Most Helpful Hotel ReviewerAward: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster I
Nomad

Learning Spanish in Costa Rica is expensive, my niece went there for 3 months, while a daughter of my friend went to Ecuador for three months to learn Spanish, the price is much cheaper than in Costa Rica.

Travelling to that continent it is necessary to have basic Spanish. You can also enroll in school if you have one in your home town or follow a course on the internet

I follow Spanish in school before travelling to South/ Central America. Also helpful to download ' offline google translate' to your phone.

Last edited by shavy (8-9-2017 8:22 AM)

#7 8-9-2017 2:58 PM

Paulovic
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

I had them in Costa Rica. Such a lovely and small country. Pro of being such a small country is that you're able to travel everywhere in the weekend when you don't have classes. For how many weeks would you like to take classes?
Although Costa Rica will be more expensive than Ecuador, I think that shouldn't be an issue for someone from Australia. I went to both and found Costa Rica also very cheap compared to the Western world. Yes, it's slightly more expensive than other Latin American countries in the region.

#8 8-10-2017 8:29 PM

gezhammo
Gerard
Perth, Australia
Couch Potato

Margunn, thank you very much for your help! i just checked them all out and they are relatively cheap! At Kie Balam, are the lessons private or are they as a group? Also, what do you think is the best time of year to be there for good weather? Also, how does Antigua compare to Xela?

Thanks again for your reply! smile

Last edited by gezhammo (8-10-2017 8:29 PM)

#9 8-10-2017 8:32 PM

gezhammo
Gerard
Perth, Australia
Couch Potato

Paulovic wrote:

I had them in Costa Rica. Such a lovely and small country. Pro of being such a small country is that you're able to travel everywhere in the weekend when you don't have classes. For how many weeks would you like to take classes?
Although Costa Rica will be more expensive than Ecuador, I think that shouldn't be an issue for someone from Australia. I went to both and found Costa Rica also very cheap compared to the Western world. Yes, it's slightly more expensive than other Latin American countries in the region.

Paulovic, thanks for your reply. I plan to do lessons for about a month to six weeks. I have only very basic Spanish language skills now, but I really want to get to a point where I can confidently speak and understand Spanish. I am hoping that is enough time for me before then backpacking around more of Central/South America.

#10 8-15-2017 11:05 AM

margunn
margunn
Bergen, Norway
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer

gezhammo wrote:

Margunn, thank you very much for your help! i just checked them all out and they are relatively cheap! At Kie Balam, are the lessons private or are they as a group? Also, what do you think is the best time of year to be there for good weather? Also, how does Antigua compare to Xela?

When I was there it was only private lessons.

Xela is bigger and less tourists than Antigua. Lessons are also cheaper. I was in Guatemala in March/April (I think). It's 7 years since I was there so can't remember the weather exact,he he. I think it was a bit colder in Xela, specially in the morning and there was some rain to.

#11 8-15-2017 5:38 PM

gezhammo
Gerard
Perth, Australia
Couch Potato

margunn wrote:

gezhammo wrote:

When I was there it was only private lessons.

Xela is bigger and less tourists than Antigua. Lessons are also cheaper. I was in Guatemala in March/April (I think). It's 7 years since I was there so can't remember the weather exact,he he. I think it was a bit colder in Xela, specially in the morning and there was some rain to.

Thanks again Margunn for your help. During your time in Xela (and all of Central America), did you have any safety issues?

#12 8-30-2017 10:33 AM

rowlo
Cian
Cork, Ireland
Couch Potato

I would def say Medellin Colombia. I lived here for 5 months and took Spanish classes for 5 weeks (Toucan Spanish School). They speak the clearest Spanish here. Any questions let me know.

#13 9-12-2017 6:13 PM

gezhammo
Gerard
Perth, Australia
Couch Potato

rowlo wrote:

I would def say Medellin Colombia. I lived here for 5 months and took Spanish classes for 5 weeks (Toucan Spanish School). They speak the clearest Spanish here. Any questions let me know.

Thanks mate! How many hours of classes per day is included in the group lessons? Cheers

#14 9-17-2017 3:16 PM

markdd
Award: Photographer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

rowlo wrote:

I was looking up this school before. How much did you learn in 5 weeks? I'd probably allow 5 to 6 weeks for myself but I want to be sure I'll learn a lot.

Board footer