#1 8-7-2017 6:21 AM

Brooklyn, New York
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)

Trip around the U.S.

I am going on a trip around multiple destinations in the US and want advice on how to maximize the fun that I have on this trip. So far the expected destinations are as follows:

Portland

I'll be in each of these places for at least 2 days and there will be a three day gap between Vegas and San Fran in which I plan to do anything around the Arizona, California area.

#2 8-7-2017 6:59 AM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Posts: 297

Re: Trip around the U.S.

What exactly is it you're trying to accomplish with this trip and how long do you have for the trip. Your itinerary is not well thought-out if you are interested in national parks. Want to give it a bit more thought because one of the city's you'd actually want to visit if cities is what you're doing would be New Orleans and it's not on your list.

#3 8-7-2017 7:02 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Posts: 461

Re: Trip around the U.S.

The only two places I've been on that list are Atlanta and San Francisco - Atlanta about 20 years ago and SF 50 years ago.  All I remember as a fun thing about Atlanta was that a friend took me to a restaurant called The Varsity for lunch and I met my son at the first Hard Rock that I had ever been to.  They were building for the Olympics when I was there.  In SF we loved riding the cable cars and Ghirardelli Square.  In between Vegas and San Francisco you might visit Monterey, or Sequoia NP or you could take the western route past Death Valley and come in through Yosemite

#4 8-7-2017 7:20 AM

katzgar wrote:

My friend and I are not truly trying to "accomplish" anything as much as enjoy different cities that we have not already been to for what they have to offer. For example, we have already been to New Orleans. I choose the cities I chose because the ultimate goal is to visit the entire US so these are just the next on the list. As stated really we just want to have fun. Fun could be going to a museum we didn't know about until advised or fun can be going to a dance club, or national park that we did not know about until advised.

#5 8-7-2017 7:22 AM

grandmar wrote:

Thanks alot. The Varsity is already on our list and well def take your suggestions in San Fran into consideration time allowing.

#6 8-7-2017 8:30 AM

villaconcierge
Mark
Posts: 1

Re: Trip around the U.S.

Sounds like a cool trip :-)

#7 8-7-2017 10:31 AM

shavy
Belinda
Belgium
Posts: 960

Re: Trip around the U.S.

My last visit to Atlanta when the time Obama was just elected. So is quite a long time ago, we have one day layover in Atlanta before our next flight, we took the train to city center.

I still remember what happen that day, we just got off the train and witness a fight, a guy stabbed with a knife infront of us, and the police tease the other guy and shot. What a horrible expereince we had in Atlanta.

Near the Centennial Olympic Park you will find several top attractions such as the CNN Center, Georgia Aquarium and World of Coca-Cola. Afterwards we went to King Center in Auburn avenue,

I've been to Austin but just on the airport we have a stopover, so can't comment on that

Portland, we visited during our road trip in 2014, there is a museum with large art collection

Of course in Vegas, everything is for fun. San Francisco, if you could make a time to visit Alcatraz well do it smile

Last edited by shavy (8-7-2017 10:48 AM)

#8 8-7-2017 10:42 AM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 130

Re: Trip around the U.S.

Portland is one of my favourite cities. There are so many cool little neighbourhoods (Multnomah, Hawthorne, Mississippi, Milwaukie, Division, Belmont etc) where you can wander around and shop and eat. If you are a beer fan, there are tons of breweries. If you like books a visit to Powell's in the Pearl District is a must. Multnomah Falls just east of Portland is beautiful and there are a few other little waterfall trails along the way. There are food carts galore and donuts! So many donuts! smile

This is a good page to help you with Portland.

https://www.travelportland.com/places-v … hborhoods/

#9 8-7-2017 11:38 AM

gillybob
Award: Critic IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug I
Posts: 42

Let me know.

With regards to Vegas, if you're going to do ANY gambling, be sure to join the players' club(s).  Especially if you have any intention of returning.  You can get significant reductions on room rates on future visits by doing so.  However, you can off-set any room charges or use 'comps' (the points they give you for gambling) to off-set meal costs or shop purchases within the casino hotels.  Get a little back for your fun.

#10 8-7-2017 1:34 PM

NickelP wrote:

This is a good page to help you with Portland.

https://www.travelportland.com/places-v … hborhoods/

Thanks. Were a huge fans of Mountains and Lakes so im sure well like Portland.

#11 8-8-2017 5:50 AM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Sightseer
Posts: 85

Re: Trip around the U.S.

If you like live music, you will like downtown Austin. College-age folks enjoy 6th St. east of Congress Avenue, an older crowd prefers 6th St. west of Congress.

For museums we have (in walking distance, close to the state capitol) the Bullock, LBJ Library and the Blanton Museum of Art. We also have a military museum and other art museums.

If you and your companions like nature there is Barton Springs for swimming (cold!), paddleboarding and kayaking in Lady Bird lake downtown, and the view from Mount Bonnell.

In the summer everyone enjoys seeing the nightly bat flight from a major bridge downtown (best seen from a tour boat below, not so good if you are standing on the bridge).

Good luck on your visit to all your chosen cities...they all have something to offer.

#12 8-8-2017 7:51 AM

milestx wrote:

Thank you for the advice.

#13 8-9-2017 12:35 AM

Sept922
Award: Community LeaderAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Spambuster I
Explorer
Posts: 1673

Re: Trip around the U.S.

If you want to party in Atlanta you have to decide which area of town and if you go on the weekend. There are different party zones so to speak. In the Old Fourth Ward which is quickly gentrifying, on Edgewood ave there are many bars and clubs and is a trendy area mixed with different sounds. the Sound Table for example, is a restaurant by day, electronic dance club by night. Deep and soulful more than usual. There is Church, a big trendy almost dive bar and Joystick..as well as several come and go bars. Inman Park has some more "upscale" looking eateries and drink spots. the Virginia highlands has bars along a more than a mile strip that are less edgy and more boring to me. Just the stand around and drink type of spots but tons of eateries along Highland Avenue. Many different types of brew spots. Buckhead is the northern rich part of town where anything goes as long as you pay for it. Upscale everything from clubs to eats. You actually need to get a list of what to do in Atlanta and go toward what is your style. There is waaaay too much for me to even list. The city is alive at night.
All the nightlife lists on the web are incomplete. It depends on who wrote it. A white yuppy or hipster has one list whilst a brother into hip hop and soulful eats has another. A house music head like me yet another and the "elites" who make pretend Buckhead is life yet another. 2 days is a little short to enjoy it all and there are some great museums and Buford Hwy, a working class stretch of road leading out of the city is home to fantastic Asian eateries as well as some of the best Mexican in the south. As much as the city is diverse, there are separations in some areas based on race/food/ethnicity/music/ you name it. Lived there 8 years plus.

#14 8-9-2017 4:51 AM

Raymond85
Raymond
California City, California
Posts: 3

Re: Trip around the U.S.

As long as you are gambling heavy in Vegas, I don't think theres anything to advice...Just kidding! Portland is great place...Have Fun

#15 8-9-2017 6:06 AM

denisx
Douglas
Bedford, Texas
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi II
Posts: 368

Re: Trip around the U.S.

I've been to all these cities many times. Here are what I think are some highlights you might like:
Atlanta: MLK house and center; World of Coca-Cola; CNN headquarters; Stone Mountain
Austin: 6th Street; State Capitol; Any BBQ or Tex-Mex restaurant; Lakeway (beautiful area outside of the city)

#16 8-10-2017 7:23 AM

denisx wrote:

Thanks!

#17 8-10-2017 7:23 AM

Raymond85 wrote:

Haha, thanks!

#18 8-10-2017 7:24 AM

Sept922 wrote:

Thanks for all the advice.

#19 8-10-2017 8:05 AM

denisx
Douglas
Bedford, Texas
Posts: 368

Re: Trip around the U.S.

You're welcome! Have a great trip!

denisx wrote:

Thanks!

#20 9-4-2017 8:59 AM

travlnflyn_guy
Jeff
United States
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster III
Posts: 638

Re: Trip around the U.S.

Bangor's Sausage House and Beer Garden is a must stop in Austin. Google it. It's in the Rainey Street Historic District. It's actually a residential neighborhood where people have turned old homes into bars and some restaurants.

#21 9-4-2017 6:45 PM

DaveSwede
Batam, Indonesia
Award: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 161

Re: Trip around the U.S.

Another oddity in Austin is that you can go to Little Longhorn Saloon and play 'chicken shit bingo'...  just type that into Google and if you have a laugh, then it might be something for you to add to your list.

#22 9-20-2017 3:58 AM

breakingaway
Posts: 1

Re: Trip around the U.S.

Yes, very nice set. Really did good

#23 9-21-2017 5:49 AM

Toonsarah
Sarah
London Borough of Ealing, United Kingdom
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Sightseer
Posts: 73

Re: Trip around the U.S.

My favourite bit of our visit to San Francisco was our trip to Alcatraz - really fascinating. I also liked just wandering round the different neighbourhoods like North Beach and Chinatown. If the weather's fairly clear I recommend going over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito for great views of the bridge and city.

#24 9-21-2017 11:07 AM

Dymphna
Lee Ann
Montana, United States
Award: Vox Populi I
Posts: 134

Re: Trip around the U.S.

I assume you are flying and not driving to those destinations?

Plan your time in Las Vegas between Sunday night and Thursday night. Often time you can get into something like the Excalibur or Monte Carlo for very little on those nights. Expect to pay a resort fee over and above the cost of the room. Although if you negotiate upon check in - sometimes you can forgo that fee if you agree not to use certain things in the hotel. It must be done at check in and not check out.

I have been to both Bryce Canyon and the Grand Canyon. Go to Bryce first. This will give you a build up to the Grand rather than the other way around. The Southern entrance to the Grand Canyon is where I went and really like it. The western side where the glass bridge is, is actually not part of the National Park. The glass bridge there is over priced and you will not be allowed to take your own pictures on the bridge. The park system has a shuttle system and there are areas you will not be allowed to drive on your own, unless you are handicap. If you are handicap, when you enter the park tell them you are not able to walk - it makes a HUGE difference for access. Also pay attention to when they have the powwow dancing. They do a great job with this and it is very impressive. I was surprised and could tell the difference in the languages of the different tribes he was singing.

At Bryce we stayed at the campground for Ruby's Inn. Ruby's Inn is a complex with many different options. It even has a dinner theater there that is a blast. It is very authentic western with music that is more what you would hear from Sons of the Pioneers, not the stupid stuff on the radio. There are also park shuttles into the canyon from Ruby's Inn that are free. Shuttles are better than driving, as you don't have to park and it is a pick up and drop off situation. There are also a couple of free tour shuttles you can get reservations on - very recommended as the guilds can better explain what you are looking for and at.

#25 9-25-2017 1:20 AM

Bojasem
Taher
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Posts: 590

In my opinion

Atlanta cool but, not from 10 in USA and you will suffer from rain.

Austin cool but, I think it very good for 20s & music lover.

Vegas  one of the top 4 cities in US and I miss it.Furthermore,there are many activites in Vegas like
shows, like near vegas airport,canoying Ithink in Colorado,tour by helicopter and etc.

San Francisco  Amazing city ,friendly city.one of the top 3 cities in US.But,book early because hotels over
250 US and I remmber four season 400 USD when i visit it.Union square and Fisherman wharf are great

Portland are cool but , there are more beautiful destination like.

Aspen or Tutrile town in Colorado I think 4 houre from Denver airport.

San Diego. amazing beach and sight seeing.

Orlando It is one of top three cities in US.

Chicago fantastic city  and many thing to do.

enjoy