#1 8-6-2017 7:07 AM

tour_guy
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

Trekking pole with camera mount - Question

Hello!

I am wondering if anyone has experience using a trekking pole with camera mount or have any recommendation to buy one.

I am looking at something like this:

https://www.rei.com/product/875716/moun … gK-e_D_BwE

Will the pole support hiking with the mirrorless camera mounted? Or it has to be unmounted while hiking?

Thanks!

#2 8-6-2017 10:34 AM

ulis
Uli
Vienna, Austria
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

Re: Trekking pole with camera mount - Question

Will the pole support hiking with the mirrorless camera mounted?  i don't think your camera will last long if you use it that way, that picture os from that website:
https://www.google.at/search?q=%D8%AF%D … 4PpfX491M:

#3 8-6-2017 12:40 PM

milestx
Miles
Austin, Texas
Sightseer

That's a pretty clever looking idea, to put a 1/4" x 20 bolt in the top of a trekking pole (hiking stick). I agree with ulis, that I would not want to subject a nice camera to all the vibration from a trekking pole, even one with a spring shock absorber.

#4 8-6-2017 2:31 PM

jethanad
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi III
Nomad

milestx wrote:

That's a pretty clever looking idea, to put a 1/4" x 20 bolt in the top of a trekking pole (hiking stick). I agree with ulis, that I would not want to subject a nice camera to all the vibration from a trekking pole, even one with a spring shock absorber.

How about sacrificing a cheapo P&S ?

#5 8-6-2017 4:50 PM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

I've seen a shoulder mounted thing for a video camera a long time ago.  But a camera permanently on a treking pole seems like a bad idea.  It would be Ok to stick the camera on the pole and use it as a monopod for photos.  But not while hiking.

Last edited by grandmar (8-6-2017 4:52 PM)

#6 8-6-2017 5:13 PM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Tourist

I can't speak to their use specifically as a camera mount as I only use my phone camera, but as a hiker who uses trekking poles, I absolutely wouldn't recommend leaving the camera mounted whilst hiking. Even if you are just on flat/easy trails, the pole will be in constant swinging motion which can't be good for the camera and as soon as you go off onto harder trails there is more room for disaster for your camera.

A friend of mine that hike with has a chest harness for her camera that she hikes with so she has easy access to it when she wants to take photos. It's similar to these ones.

https://www.cottoncarrier.com/collections/camera-vests

#7 8-6-2017 5:29 PM

tour_guy
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi IIIAward: Spambuster IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Nomad

All your comments are very valid and I did not realize that the camera will also add up additional weight to the pole causing extra stress to the hand.

Now, I am thinking of just using it as pole for hiking and when it is required to take photos on the low light then mount the camera.

#8 8-6-2017 9:45 PM

tenaka
Shane
Chicago, Illinois
Award: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Tourist

I'm not sure if it can be added or not, but a quick release mount seems like what you'd want here. Carry the camera around your neck or over your shoulder, and then snap mount it to the pole when its picture time.

#9 8-6-2017 10:13 PM

reikunboy
chris
Kobe, Japan
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

It sounds like you want a gopro

#10 8-7-2017 7:05 AM

grandmar
RosalieAnn
Leonardtown, Maryland
Award: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIAward: Writer IIIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Wanderer

NickelP wrote:

I can't speak to their use specifically as a camera mount as I only use my phone camera, but as a hiker who uses trekking poles, I absolutely wouldn't recommend leaving the camera mounted whilst hiking. Even if you are just on flat/easy trails, the pole will be in constant swinging motion which can't be good for the camera and as soon as you go off onto harder trails there is more room for disaster for your camera.

A friend of mine that hike with has a chest harness for her camera that she hikes with so she has easy access to it when she wants to take photos. It's similar to these ones.

https://www.cottoncarrier.com/collections/camera-vests

That's what I use also - primarily to keep the weight of the camera off my neck (I have arthritis in my neck)

Board footer