#51 8-5-2017 5:09 AM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

Re: Springfield OR / Portland OR trip that I want to do.

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

I'm looking forward to American TV already.

That's one perk of going to America, when you're done for the day of exploring, you get American TV.

there will be a menu in the room for the local pizza delivery place.  I was kidding about the tetanus shot.  Verify with the motel how many channels they have.  Have you seen this site?     https://www.eugenecascadescoast.org/springfield/

Last edited by katzgar (8-5-2017 6:57 AM)

#52 8-5-2017 9:09 AM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Soho London, United Kingdom
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist

katzgar wrote:

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

That's one perk of going to America, when you're done for the day of exploring, you get American TV.

there will be a menu in the room for the local pizza delivery place.  I was kidding about the tetanus shot.  Verify with the motel how many channels they have.  Have you seen this site?

I was told they have cable TV... If that answer helps any.

I remember Comcast in PA/NJ had 'enough channels' to enjoy.

I have seen that site.

Bare in mind, on this trip, I don't want to do all that 'touristy stuff' - I want to live like a local for a week.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-5-2017 9:12 AM)

#53 8-5-2017 9:42 AM

katzgar
Wanderer

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

katzgar wrote:

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

there will be a menu in the room for the local pizza delivery place.  I was kidding about the tetanus shot.  Verify with the motel how many channels they have.  Have you seen this site?

I was told they have cable TV... If that answer helps any.

I remember Comcast in PA/NJ had 'enough channels' to enjoy.

I have seen that site.

Bare in mind, on this trip, I don't want to do all that 'touristy stuff' - I want to live like a local for a week.

The site is a tourist site but it does give some local information about microbreweries that sort of thing. The weather in Springfield will be mid-60s during the day and mid-40s at night For. Yelp is a good site to look at for food. Cable TV can be in several levels so the number of channels is the deciding factor.

Last edited by katzgar (8-5-2017 9:43 AM)

#54 8-5-2017 11:10 AM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

I can't find anywhere in Eugene or Springfield to buy the flag that I want.

I've found a store that sells pirate flags (they look cool), a store that sells an Oregon Ducks flags (looks cool and I know someone who I can gift stuff like that to)..

Let's see.. To shop for...
My friends - fun stuff (like pot flags and accessories I can travel with and adult entertainment like match boxes maybe from stripper bars).. *Brain storm - Maybe a postcard with Oregon Marijuana? Amsterdam had loads, why not Oregon? Get my friends who might not know what goes on in Oregon a subtle hint with a postcard about it arriving on their door steps, because, if I'm not mistaken - wasn't pot legal in OR for a lot longer than in other states or, was it once legal then banned and now legal again? Either way, Oregon, actually, has an history about legal pot that can rival Amsterdam maybe so... IDK... I honestly found out after I first planned to do this that Oregon has pot, as soon as I found out this earlier this year, it was done deal.
My brother in England - (All that Oregon Ducks stuff + USA stuff)
My sister in England (bless her, she's older than me but like a big kid, she would literally like toys and candy, I'd probably get her some candy and a cool bag maybe)?
To my brother in PA and his family - They like martial arts because they watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer and... (IDK, what would be a nice present for an uncle to send somebody for a family to receive)?
To my sister and her family in NJ - They like camping (brother-in-law likes to golf) again (what would be a nice present for them to receive while I'm in America)?
IDK, I'm already going to send out post cards I buy there if I find any, and I might take some postcards I have here in England that came a Simpsons DVD lol (even one's to myself).. (I am a nerd) - but I want to maybe send more to my family in America this time, since... I'd be in America, but I won't be seeing them so, I don't want the kids to think I'm an uncle who doesn't care. Even though he'd get a taxi a hot tub in Eugene, he/I wouldn't them to think that I'm not thinking about those guys as ever, and it would, IDK, be a little insulting to go and not get closer to them... Also... I'm avoiding there birthdays NOT to insult them... I don't want them to think what if?

IF.... however....

I do... decide to visit them... and, why not, one might tell me off for *spending so much money but would be glad to see me as long as I don't impose (I don't want to impose), and a sister who, would be glad to see me and would maybe understand my wanderlust to see Oregon... So... Tempting.

If I go...

I'd want to keep the out bound flights I want with Delta (I found last night but didn't bother posting) - If I did this 'my way' 'ways I've travelled 9 times out of 10 where I went direct' - If I did it how I used to travel before being spoilt with weekender trips to Amsterdam which serve well for group or solo weekends to the NL... In 2 years of doing that, I've forgot that, that's not how I travel. I go to the company, not the travel agent...
So I did that, and on Delta's website, I saved £200.00 easy.

I'm a family man, yes a solo to escape from it all would be great. I'd like to change the title of my topic for lack of wanting to post a new topic...

I could see myself doing this and kicking myself for not seeing family...
So... IDK...
I don't want to impose so I was thinking shipping them something, but, I've got a neice I haven't even met yet and, I don't want to be rude and family's family.... Hmmmm....

Way I see it, blow though spending 24 hours with both.
So I'd need at least 48 hours on the East Coast (at least) and connections between PA/NJ...
I don't know... Newark, is around 80 miles in Ocean County, I'm not having anybody come out 80 miles to get me, I'd like to go in through Newark Liberty or out through Newark Liberty so I'd always want a train to the airport. (I want it all)..
Or a bus/coach.
PHL, Is okay, close to the part of PA I want. I don't mind flying in at PHL or flying out at PHL...
So I'm thinking..
since it's flights/trains and busses only... (I'd want to aim for PHL or EWR) then EWR or PHL to LHR).

However, the only thing I want for myself from this trip in terms of actual thing to buy is an Oregon flag.
The only shop I found that could sell me flags like that was in Springfield, MO...

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-5-2017 11:30 AM)

#55 8-5-2017 12:03 PM

katzgar
Wanderer

Walmart normally has a 4 ft set of us Flags but I'm not sure if it's the one you're looking for.  You should be able to see what sort of flags Walmart carries on their US website. The pot dispensary should either carry or tell you about the pot flag. There is likely an Oregon Ducks store in Eugene somewhere

Last edited by katzgar (8-5-2017 12:05 PM)

#56 8-5-2017 1:17 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

katzgar wrote:

Walmart normally has a 4 ft set of us Flags but I'm not sure if it's the one you're looking for.  You should be able to see what sort of flags Walmart carries on their US website. The pot dispensary should either carry or tell you about the pot flag. There is likely an Oregon Ducks store in Eugene somewhere

I guess I can go to Wallmart, check out their website, thanks - that's true about the pot places being the places to check out for that stuff - Oregon Ducks store told me so themselves today that they only had Oregon Ducks flags, so now at least I know where to go for Oregon Ducks stuff -- the gift shop at the airport today in EUG said they only have tshirts. (I tried what I could find).

Wallmart are perfect, thank you, I found all the flags I want there.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-5-2017 1:20 PM)

#57 8-13-2017 11:25 AM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

I might go next year, more money.
Better chance of getting flights that I want.
Plus more spending money if I book early and wait until April.

Or I could go this year and live off atleast $300.00 a day.

It's $100.00 to get to Portland and back so this could be done for a day out in Portland with $200.00 spending money.

I want to explore American fast food for the fun of it and I want to smoke pot.
And I want to buy the odd thing or gift or whatever and do whatever I see going on a budget of $300.00 a day.
Doable?

Let's say I average it out, spend $410.00 one day and $50.00 another...

I'm still alright, right?

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-13-2017 12:16 PM)

#58 8-13-2017 3:22 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

Alright, I think I have it all figured out now.
I book my tickets early, save the rest of my money for the trip, and await a payday on my trip so if I wanted to, no pressure, I could buy a nice Gibson or Fender or whatever and ship it back to England or.. not.

So let's say I'm going to Portland to go guitar shopping, for the day. I take something back to Springfield where I'm at this mom and pop treating it like it was Amsterdam watching American cable ordering cheese pizza and drinking soda and shopping to my heart's will if I do or don't want junk food.
I could get my running on.
Head to Eugene, visit the birthplace of the first artificial running surface by the Nike guy (forget his name) - To me, it doesn't get any bigger than that, I love to run. Pre's Trail too. I love it.
Portland has guitars and Voodoo Doughnuts and that sign and beer, sounds fun..

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-13-2017 3:27 PM)

#59 8-13-2017 3:30 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

If anything, I'm going to upgrade with the airline too by doing this and spending more on the ticket just so I can reserve my seat and whatnot so I get to Instagram like a pro lmao just for my own entertainment of 16 hours of transit (like 4 or 5 hours on the ground though).

#60 8-13-2017 3:37 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

The thing about me though, when guitar shopping, I don't know until I see it, play it etc etc.
Especially since I favour older Gibsons, pre 1985 Gibsons for this purchase..
So it'll almost certainly be a used guitar, but I'm fine with that.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-13-2017 3:37 PM)

#61 8-13-2017 3:39 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

I'm also thinking...
Look out for the US/Canada cell phones I've seen at the airtports in London.
I hate the rate my provider is giving me for roaming in there.
like $2.50 a minute to call my cab no thank you.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-13-2017 3:40 PM)

#62 8-14-2017 6:18 AM

katzgar
Wanderer

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

The thing about me though, when guitar shopping, I don't know until I see it, play it etc etc.
Especially since I favour older Gibsons, pre 1985 Gibsons for this purchase..
So it'll almost certainly be a used guitar, but I'm fine with that.

Given the number of guitar shops in Portland and the specificity of the guitar you're looking for to do it efficiently you might want to call all of them or email all of them to ask if they have the sort of thing you're looking for so you can minimize your travel once you get there. You may well need a car rental for a day or two to hit the shops you're interested in.

#63 8-14-2017 6:20 AM

katzgar
Wanderer

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

I book my tickets early, save the rest of my money for the trip, and await a payday on my trip so if I wanted to, no pressure, I could buy a nice Gibson or Fender or whatever and ship it back to England or.. not.

So let's say I'm going to Portland to go guitar shopping, for the day. I take something back to Springfield where I'm at this mom and pop treating it like it was Amsterdam watching American cable ordering cheese pizza and drinking soda and shopping to my heart's will if I do or don't want junk food.
Head to Eugene, visit the birthplace of the first artificial running surface by the Nike guy (forget his name) - To me, it doesn't get any bigger than that, I love to run. Pre's Trail too. I love it.

I think there's some sort of Niketown in downtown Portland

#64 8-15-2017 3:36 AM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

katzgar wrote:

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

I think there's some sort of Niketown in downtown Portland

Well.. Here's what I've found that interest me so far.

How to best do this in one day with travel pass and taxis at my disposal, from Portland Union Station?

Guitar stores that look alright:
2833 NE Sandy Blvd, Portland, OR 97232, USA
531 SE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Portland, OR 97214, USA
55 SE 11th Ave, Portland, OR 97214, USA

White stag sign
31 NW Naito Pkwy, Portland, OR 97209, USA

Voodoo Doughnut
22 SW 3rd Ave, Portland, OR 97204, USA

Gift store that sells prerolled joints because I just typed 'gift store' and found they've got pictures of bongs and pre rolled joint deals - could shop here so I know I'd have something to smoke in Springfield lest the cleaning lady raid my stash lol, also, Portland pot, why not? Says 'Grown in Oregon' - Could be somewhere to shop.
332 SE 82nd Ave, Portland, OR 97216, USA

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-15-2017 3:58 AM)

#65 8-15-2017 4:17 AM

sarahelaine
Sarah Elaine
Manchester, England
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IVAward: Critic IVAward: Writer IVAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

I'm also thinking...

Is your phone unlocked?  You might get away with just buying the sim rather than a whole new phone, as long as the phone is unlocked to any network.  It used to be fairly easy to get a bloke down the market to do that but I think the higher tech phones can be harder from that point of view.

#66 8-15-2017 11:52 AM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

sarahelaine wrote:

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

I'm also thinking...

Is your phone unlocked?  You might get away with just buying the sim rather than a whole new phone, as long as the phone is unlocked to any network.  It used to be fairly easy to get a bloke down the market to do that but I think the higher tech phones can be harder from that point of view.

I saw some sim card I wanted for £55.00 from Virgin or Vodafone for USA that said 1 month for £25.00 add £30.00 to make and receive unlimited calls... But I can't find it right now.
It told me to make sure my phone was unlocked so yesterday I went to the guy's phone and laptop repair shop where I bought it, asked him if he remembered if my phone was unlocked or not (I bought it fairly recently), he said he couldn't remember but could always check, and I forget how much he said when I asked if I needed to get it unlocked.
However, I hope to unlock it and put in an AT&T sim and 'bring my device to them' (so I read on their sim cards on a link I can't share) - or if that hasn't got the coverage or the frequency for my phone, then T.Mobile.
I'm going to Oregon... It's not remote but it's not the North East either, so, I'm hoping I can get my phone to work on an American pay as you go, if I can't find that one for £55.00 that I liked.

Teleaway has 10 days for $60 / £46 and... Can forward calls to me from the UK but.. most importantly, won't touch my credit/debit cards and says with them, no nasty bills waiting for me when I get back.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-15-2017 12:09 PM)

#67 8-15-2017 4:35 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

I keep thinking to myself...
7 Days...
7 Days...
In 7 Days I want to...
and then a lot of fast food and malls pop into my head that I want to try.
I'm fitting my plans for breakfast to line my stomach before going grocery shopping so I don't shop hungry.
I'm thinking about TV and stuff like that.
I also want to run Pre's Trail so I don't even know if I want to pig out or not.
I've seen hot tubs and Swedish massages that I want to do, but no flags or things I could bring back through customs, just pot and hunting knifes. I see antique shops, that might be neat for Americana.
Portland has a cool looking store next to that cool guitar store, and this other cool guitar store is close to that land mark sign. Might start out at that Doughnut shop, queues are really long because I've heard of it. That Nike Factory looks fun, but expensive, and guitar shopping is more than enough for me, which is me and I love it, but it's not Oregon. In rewatching BBC's Stephen Fry in America, Episode 6; Pacific... I see him doing really cool Oregon things that I want to do... Like go hiking. Camping out looking for Big Foot, those trees look huge.
He's also in a pot smoking college town that he doesn't name, which, to me, I've never been there before, but, does looks like Eugene considering I've been wracking my brains on what to do there and have studied it on maps learning about it.
To me, Niketown in Portland could be something, get a pair of running shoes, maybe from the Nike factory, but some actual running shoes for long distance ect ect... and.. check out prices for that.
Where can I buy cowboy boots and dress like my name was Slash?
I was looking at things to do in Springfield, found a leather specialist, that turned out to make saddles (but I don't know what I'd do with a saddle).
I wouldn't mind some cool cow boy boots, some leather chaps, jeans, leather coat.
Yeah.

I want to eat out at...
Voodoo Doughnuts (Portland)
Carl's Jnr
IHOP
This diner that I see
Applebee's (just a thing, really, it's more of a 'Welcome to America thing' for me if I end up getting all sentimental and traditional.
So Applebee's may very well be my first haunt before stocking up on groceries and pot on day 1.
Taco Bell (I want to try a taco, I had a burrito in PA once, now I just want to try their taco).
Taco Time (something I've never heard of, but whatever, looks cool).
Denny's
Arby's
KFC to compare since I've never got to try that yet.
Sizzle Pie (Eugene, I'm thinking).. (Maybe Portland if I'm there late).
Dari Mart (because it's regional and I can walk to it and they do hotdogs and burgers and shakes and they look like the Kwik E Mart from the Simpsons but blue?! -
I figure really, I'd only need the odd crate of soda that I can get in the UK without aspartame (DR. PEPPER, Fanta) Some bottles of A&W's Rootbeer, good ol' Coca-Cola crates, and salty snacks and chocolate bars and pop corn and microwave meals.
I could also see myself ordering cheese pizzas when I'm stoned in my hotel room because the hotel room are awesome and don't care what I smoke.

I've found a clothing store, which is a chin store called X Gen, had some cool looking stuff, I was thinking about shopping in Kohl's too, and I want to land in Heathrow again wearing Oregon Ducks or Eugene Emeralds stuff. I also want to buy some Nike gear too, since it is Oregon and all and it is after all Tracktown USA. I've already made a plan to bring my Nikes out and leave my Adidas and Reebok's at home. I must say.

but then, I'm thinking about shopping in London before I go, and wear all new London threads from Soho or Camden that I like... Oregon likes to keep things weird and Camden does too, so, we'd see.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-15-2017 5:44 PM)

#68 8-17-2017 5:03 AM

katzgar
Wanderer

Currently the Powerball lottery is over half a billion dollars so when you get to Oregon check into it

#69 8-17-2017 8:29 AM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

Is Main Street in Springfield ghetto around 17th 18th Street?

Be honest with me.

#70 8-17-2017 8:30 AM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

I should be okay, but then, what if I stand out like a sore thumb with my guitar and leather pants/trousers.

#71 8-17-2017 9:42 AM

katzgar
Wanderer

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

Is Main Street in Springfield ghetto around 17th 18th Street?

Be honest with me.

Not sure where that question came from Springfield isn't big enough really to have a ghetto maybe if you can figure out how to use street view in G maps that would help you look things over. Springfield is a sawmill town so the best analogy I can think of is think of your old coal towns in England

Last edited by katzgar (8-17-2017 9:46 AM)

#72 8-17-2017 3:50 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

Delta told me today that I'm only going to get 1 carry on 1 checked with my ticket.
I wish to leave England with 2 checked and a carry on and return with 3 checked and a carry on.
This is (in £) £80.00 for my extra bag going out and £300 for 2 extra bags coming in.
It's still cheaper than FedExing what I want back home for around $1, 000.00

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-17-2017 3:51 PM)

#73 8-17-2017 4:49 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

Let's say...
I pay £2, 200.00 on a flexible ticket in economy which. says I can change the dates.
and I get my 9 days from that mom and pop for £380.00 based on $350.00 for a week + $60.00 per night + refundable $20.00 = $490.00 which is around £380.00 (rounded up to the nearest 10).
£2, 200.00 + My extra bag I want to check going is £80 + £300.00 to come home with 2 extra bags (one being  a guitar I'd have to check that they consider a piece of luggage) £2580.00 on flights alone (that's flying out to Hawaii money).. +£72.00 travel insurance... I drop £2, 652.00 on getting to and from there.
£3, 032.00 on flights and dive that'll let me smoke pot and is in a workable location.

I'd have $357.00 per day before pay day.
+I'd buy something nice for Christmas...

That's more than I'm used to in England!

I figure 7 days, I was going to go guitar shopping, but, I don't know anymore.
I'd be able to, but I don't have to buy a guitar.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-17-2017 5:04 PM)

#74 8-17-2017 5:25 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

All I want to do is live the American life I'd have for a week with out a car, go shopping for Nike/Oregon Ducks stuff and maybe a nice guitar from Portland.

'When I put it that way, doesn't sound too crazy dropping £2.6k on a week before shopping.

Given Portland is $100.00 away rtn and I'd be on $350.00 per day before pay day where I'd be able to make  big purchase.

£2.6k buys me freedom of ticket + all my luggage wants and needs + a dive (but at least the dive has a tv and WiFi and'll let me smoke pot).
I'm going to need money for food and pot and some Nike things/Oregon Ducks/Eugene Emeralds things.

I've yet to find any cool guitars out there, but I won't really know until I go.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-17-2017 5:27 PM)

#75 8-17-2017 6:04 PM

katzgar
Wanderer

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer