#26 8-2-2017 7:52 AM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Soho London, United Kingdom
Award: Vox Populi I
Tourist

Re: Springfield OR / Portland OR trip that I want to do.

katzgar wrote:

Budgets for trips like this are always tough but I would plan on $60 a night for a motel and you should be able to get by easily on 30 bucks a day for food.  The variable for the food will be buying a box of Voodoo Donuts or a bottle of wine or a six-pack of beer those sorts of expenditures.  The other expenses like the plane ticket and the possible guitar I couldn't even guess as to what they may be.

I've already factored in the basics (airfare/accommodation/car rental)...
So no matter what, it'll cost that much minimum.

But spending for me is fine @ $30.00 for food.

But... I also want to be be able to afford things I see that I might like. For example, if I see a tshirt that says Springfield, OR or something, whatever, or if I decided to waste an afternoon in a bar and need to hire a taxi or an Uber.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-2-2017 7:54 AM)

#27 8-2-2017 8:03 AM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

One thing I found out about cookies on my browser though.

In the EU (where I am) EU law forces the use of cookies before using a website...

I saw on TV on a travel show on the BBC, to delete your cookies history and book because travel websites use it and see what you're looking at and if you keep looking at it, it'll go up, and this is TRUE...
I saw the airfare for this on the same flights/same routes in and out (LHR - SLC / SLC - EUG with Delta Rtn) go up from £1, 375.00 to £1, 690.00 in only a day (or two)!

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-2-2017 8:15 AM)

#28 8-2-2017 8:15 AM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

When I was conjuring up the basics of this trip and starting the research of doing this...
I thought LHR - PDX, use a shuttle service to Springfield, rent my car in Springfield, dive up to Portland for my weekend drive back, to Springfield, drive back to PDX when it came time to go home...
No... Was the answer to that, found the PDX shuttle service, no Springfield or Eugene in site for using it.
And... If that wasn't bad enough, then I found that there was no direct flight AT ALL from London to Portland.

Flying to Eugene was throwing up via Salt Lake City, via Seattle, via Los Angeles, via Pheonix (coming soon)...
Reasons I went with via SLC were...
If I fly into LAX, I'd want to see Los Angeles, I don't want this to be my fist time in Los Angeles, changing flights/same argument with Seattle! (If I'm in Seattle, I want to see Seattle)...
Not worried about that in Salt Lake City for some reason. Plus at the end of it all, I figure I'd be out of the airport before midnight dog-tired anyway 20 minutes away by taxi from my motel near where I want to rent the car on the same street when I wake up; hopefully this should combat jet-lag if I go to sleep around midnight - 1am local time and get a good nights rest.

Portland; PDX, was also doing this - Via this, via that, - I was like 'no'...
I'm forced to change planes no matter what with Oregon, so I'm doing it the best way, having it put in me in Springfield, and that's what happened.

I've never been on a propeller propelled aeroplane before... and... Well...
I can't avoid this for this trip.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-2-2017 8:28 AM)

#29 8-2-2017 11:13 AM

katzgar
Award: Vox Populi II
Wanderer

I don't understand the propeller propelled airplane comment

#30 8-2-2017 1:39 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

katzgar wrote:

I stand corrected, when I looked into it, I thought the SLC - EUG / EUG - SLC part of this route was going to be on a smaller plane, turns out it's a jet too.

I'm allowed no more than 2 bags no heavier than 23 kg because it's Delta anyway...

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-2-2017 3:04 PM)

#31 8-2-2017 2:52 PM

vulindlela
Jeremy
Indianapolis, Indiana
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: AmbassadorAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IIAward: Vox Populi VAward: Spambuster IIIAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Globetrotter

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

I found that there was no direct flight AT ALL from London to Portland.

There is a nonstop LHR-PDX, but it runs summer only, and only 4 days per week.

If all of your flights are on Delta, you will not be on a propeller aircraft, as they do not have any.

#32 8-2-2017 3:07 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

vulindlela wrote:

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

I found that there was no direct flight AT ALL from London to Portland.

There is a nonstop LHR-PDX, but it runs summer only, and only 4 days per week...

I didn't know that, however, PDX/EUG, I'd still rather fly into EUG anyway (since I want to do this to see Springfield).

I'm okay with change in SLC, get out of the airport in EUG before midnight / fly home from EUG  (change in SLC) when it's all said n' done.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-2-2017 3:21 PM)

#33 8-2-2017 3:18 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

What would really help me is enjoying recreational marijuana from a dispensary out there (I've checked Eugene/Springfield has some) in my motel room with out it being  big deal for smoking in public at the motel/hotel I want.

And

If I have to supply my own WiFi for my Smart Phone and Laptop, how would I go about getting connected to WiFi in the US if there is none where I'm looking to stay. How to get 3G/4G in America on a UK smartphone.
What can I buy in places like Best Buy or Radio Shack (if I have to) that lets me have my own WiFi?

If you or anyone can solve this issue for enjoying the pot there and getting me internet, I'd be set/ready/grateful.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-2-2017 3:23 PM)

#34 8-2-2017 3:25 PM

katzgar
Wanderer

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

katzgar wrote:

I stand corrected, when I looked into it, I thought the SLC - EUG / EUG - SLC part of this route was going to be on a smaller plane, turns out it's a jet too.

I'm allowed no more than 2 bags no heavier than 23 kg because it's Delta anyway...

there are no airlines in the US that fly prop planes....maybe the bush planes in alaska but they arent considered airlines.  free wifi is very common here.  I dont know on the phone thing maybe go into your phone shop and ask?

Last edited by katzgar (8-2-2017 3:27 PM)

#35 8-2-2017 3:29 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

katzgar wrote:

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

katzgar wrote:

there are no airlines in the US that fly prop planes....maybe the bush planes in alaska but they arent considered airlines.  free wifi is very common here.  I dont know on the phone thing maybe go into your phone shop and ask?

Well I was thinking something bigger like a Saab 340... but...

It seems all that's passed and it'll be jet all the way now anyway.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-3-2017 9:20 AM)

#36 8-3-2017 8:48 AM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!

I've just got off the phone with my first choice of accomdation in Springfield -

They are INDEED open.

I should be able to check in around midnight.

They have WiFi!!!

THEY DON'T MIND IF I SMOKE POT IN MY ROOM THERE...

big_smile

If ever I've heard promising news for my trip, this was it.

I wasn't sure if they were open for business anymore... I didn't see any WiFi Advertised, I heard that it's at the disgression of the hotel if you're allowed to smoke marijuana in them....

Yes on all my wants and needs.

YES! big_smile

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-3-2017 9:17 AM)

#37 8-3-2017 9:39 AM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

katzgar wrote:

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

Well I was thinking something bigger like a Saab 340... but...

It seems all that's passed and it'll be jet all the way now anyway.

I've been on an Airbus A330 operated by US Airways when they flew out of London's Gatwick Airport to Philadelphia Intl in 2001. I've been on a Boeing 787 operated by British Airways back when they had 2 flights a day to Philadelphia Intl from London's Heathrow Airport, and took a Boeing 747 operated by British Airways on the return, in 2004.
I've never been on an aeroplane smaller than a Boeing 787.

IDK, don't care about the flight from London to Salt Lake City because I figure that plane'll be big enough...

The flight from Salt Lake City - Eugene uses a Canadair RJ 700 -
Are these type of planes radically different than the big ones, to travel in?

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-3-2017 9:44 AM)

#38 8-3-2017 10:00 AM

katzgar
Wanderer

wifi is pretty much assumed over here.  The regional jets are just aluminum tube cattle cars like the big ones.

Last edited by katzgar (8-3-2017 10:01 AM)

#39 8-3-2017 6:24 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

The car has made me change my dates which, work alright.
I'd be back in London Saturday Morning ready to hit Soho at night to cure any post holiday blues if any.

Car rental place is.... Not open on Sundays
(I wanted a nice quiet Sunday just to get a feel for the place before Monday/normal business hours where I could shop and explore fully). But...

-Friday's alight, fly out Thursday afternoon and land in EUG after all that flying at 23:05 (local time); - I'd have cleared immigration at SLC and it's a 20 minute drive from the airport to the hotel I want.
So, I don't know I guess I'd order a cab to meet me at 23:45? I don't mind waiting by my bags for it, as long as it comes. 
I've found their taxi service for where I want to go so I have a phone number to order a cab in advance to come pick me up when I land, and am thinking order it for that time.

But I should then be awake to pick up my car on Friday where they're open until 17:30.

I guess I could take it slow on Friday, go out to eat.
Maybe find a bar, have a lap dance.
Check out their pot scene, see Eugene on a Friday Night or Gateway or whatever.
Saturday, I figure I'd laze it, watch TV, order pizza.
Sunday, I'd see what's open.
Monday, do what I wanted to do in the first place and just thank Enterprise Car Rental for that first weekend in Oregon.

I'm thinking...

It could be, looks like SUV country, IDK. I don't plan to go off road, but I don't want to be in a tiny car on big roads with SUVs everywhere - this might push up the cost of rental some.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-3-2017 6:41 PM)

#40 8-3-2017 6:46 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

£525.00 for a compact (what I want to avoid if it's SUV Country?) and save for a;

£860.00 for the executive sized car (medium)

£1, 475.00 for the intermediate/only SUV

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-3-2017 6:47 PM)

#41 8-3-2017 7:17 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

£40.00 to get to my airport by minicab if not free by someone I know.
£1, 375.00 for the flights
£700.00 for the room in Springfield.
£860.00 for the car.
£77.00 ($100 for the taxi from EUG to motel) shouldn't cost more than $100.00 - expecting not to spend $100.00 but will save $100.00 for this purpose.
£1, 000.00 for 2 nights 5 star hotel in Portland.
... = £4. 052.00

+ £2, 500.00 spending money
= £6,552.00

Hmm...

Only £552.00 more than I expected and this was going all out on the car...

Why not make it £3, 000.00 spending money? £1, 500.00 a week budget.
This should allow me to pretend I'm on a good income lol.

But... £7, 000.00 is a lot to blow on a 2 week holiday of a lifetime. (but then you only get one lifetime)...

So...... why not, go big? and attach £5, 000.00 to be able to, if I want to, make a major purchase out there and pay for it to be shipped back to London, it would be a totally different thing that could justify blowing £7, 000.00 for American peace and tranquillity out there, but by saving....

£12, 000.00 (£7, 000.00 trip of a lifetime/£5, 000.00 major souvenir of a lifetime like a high end guitar I could ship back to London or a used car). (If I find some where to park it).

Student loans is all in all, loans and grants £11, 000.00 per year this year, I guess i'd have to work and save as well as save my student loans.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-3-2017 7:21 PM)

#42 8-3-2017 7:20 PM

katzgar
Wanderer

The shipping back to London thing I obviously have no clue on so I'm not going to comment on that.  I do see smart cars on the freeway over here so that is possible and small cars are more convenient fitting into spots around town

#43 8-3-2017 7:25 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

I'm going bigger than a Nissan Versa because I'd want to fit at least my 2 luggage bags. I also want the car to fit a guitar in a guitar case in too in the trunk if I do buy a nice guitar.

If I spend all my money on a nice guitar (like I wanted to anyway with a portion of it)... I may as well blow it all and work and save a little to add on this trip of a lifetime for me. I've got £11, 000.00 for this, I need £1, 000.00 I've got a good agency job to tide me over when student loans don't suffice.

I'd ship things back to England either with Fed Ex or US Postal Service in Springfield.

As for shipping a vehicle however, I know it's like £2, 000.00 to ship one to the UK, but from what port, IDK.
So I'd have to look for a car I'd want cheap enough to have taken to the port to spend £2k to send it my way, if I want a car; I doubt I'd want a car, but if I see a used van for $850.00 like I saw in Philadelphia at the lights in front of me this one time, it'll be nice to be able to buy.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-3-2017 7:32 PM)

#44 8-3-2017 7:48 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

The guitar would cost me the same as it would if I spent £6, 500.00 on it here then if I spent £5, 000.00 and shipping was £1, 500.00
I don't expect shipping to be £1, 500.00 so, I could save money buying it in Oregon I guess... I'd have to ship it to England out out my £3, 000.00 spending money budget.
OR... IDK... Find a nice guitar for less. But, brand now custom ordered for the high end guitar I really want range from £3, 500.00 - £5, 000.00

I just phoned Guitar Center in Eugene.
They could order me one new, quoted me prices I've converted into money I can understand.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-3-2017 7:52 PM)

#45 8-3-2017 8:14 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

Fed Ex in Springfield just told me that to ship a guitar to England would be from $1, 000.00

So that works out the same. Which means, going to buy my guitar in Springfield isn't going to save me any money. - but then, I'd still want to be able to shop for one, so I need like £13, 000.00 on a holiday of a lifetime and to get the guitar I really want anyway...

So when you look at it, I get a holiday of a lifetime with my nice new guitar/souvenir rather than blow £7, 000.00 on 2 weeks and have nothing to show for it afterwards.

Let's say £13, 000.00 and I get my nice new guitar and have it shipped and have it not mess with £7, 000.00 for a holiday of a lifetime.

This figure of £13, 000.00 covers all bases well, since I've added on an extra £1, 000.00 to be able to spend £5, 000.00 on a guitar worth £6, 500.00 and £1, 000.00 is enough for $1, 000.00 worth of shipping.
and I'd have £3, 000.00 spending money to have  budget of £1, 500.00 a week to literally play with.
plus, you know around £4, 000.00 on the basics like hotel, accommodation, wheels, £100.00's worth of travellers insurance.

£13, 500.00 just to be sure. (but for it I get a really nice guitar and a great trip).

*over budget, enjoy the change logic.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-3-2017 8:50 PM)

#46 8-3-2017 8:33 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

Or a weekend in Paris, France

*how boring, dull and cliché

£90.00 rtn + Hotel with Eurostar...

Paris could be fun actually.

but it wouldn't be Springfield. sad

I wish I had money.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-3-2017 8:34 PM)

#47 8-3-2017 8:36 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

One could also argue, I want to stay in Springfield's worst and Portland's best, which is actually what I've found and priced up (I've noticed), but that matters not, I just want the places I've found for the places I've found. I really do want what I want.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-3-2017 8:39 PM)

#48 8-4-2017 4:00 AM

katzgar
Wanderer

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

One could also argue, I want to stay in Springfield's worst and Portland's best, which is actually what I've found and priced up (I've noticed), but that matters not, I just want the places I've found for the places I've found. I really do want what I want.

Sounds like you should get a tetanus shot before you get to that Motel in Springfield

#49 8-4-2017 9:31 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

katzgar wrote:

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

Sounds like you should get a tetanus shot before you get to that Motel in Springfield

I'd be fine...

It's better than a yurt for my needs in the roughing it sense.
This has a central location and a bed microwave and TV + Wifi.
(and a view I like)

A yurt is remote, and a little more money and a lot smaller, fun and cosy though, but it being remote killed that option for this trip.

I'm... going to sacrifice my weekender in Portland.
Not use a car, only go for half my fortnight I wanted and make it 7 days instead.
This still does what I want to do and is feasible on my budget.

I will be in Springfield, OR for a week, walking and bus puss and taxing it.
I can still say I've been to Springfield, walk to pot, walk to a place that sells food, order pizza, and explore what else there is to walk to and be close by Eugene, for a week solo.
I'd have everything, tickets, hotel, spending money, enough time to taste this way of life. - and be back for a weekend on the town in Soho or if I want, Amsterdam.. So, it's doable this way.

I'm thinking, September/October if it's not too cold in Oregon then or waiting until May 2018.
Either way, I am happy at this, any major problems like... 'no car' I'd like people to tell me, how life goes on a main street of a city (Springfield) connected to another city (Eugene) for someone on foot living the dream?

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-4-2017 9:46 PM)

#50 8-4-2017 9:44 PM

ilikeitlikethat
Bobby
Tourist

I'm looking forward to American TV already.

That's one perk of going to America, when you're done for the day of exploring, you get American TV.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer