#1 7-31-2017 7:48 PM

Posts: 186

Springfield OR / Portland OR trip that I want to do.

I'm a nerd.
I'm a nerd from London.
I'm a nerd in my fandom of the odd nerdy thing, like The Simpsons or Star Trek.
and... I'm a nerd who fell in love with the idea of visiting Springfield, OR because I heard it was where the show The Simpsons was really based and... I YouTube'd it and all sorts of my nerdy fandom lit up but, if anything, it looked decent/compared to the hustle and bustle of life here in London. I thought to myself 'to live the life of The Simpsons for a week or 2'... I also figure.. Since I am from London, I wouldn't mind a weekend in Portland to touch base with big city life in a really nice hotel.
I plan to rent this motel which didn't look special but looked like it could be from The Simpsons along this main street in Springfield which also... Was in walking distance along the same main street as the Enterprise Rental, so my thinking was when I looked into it:
Arrive in Eugene, OR just after midnight, take a taxi the 20 minutes from the airport in Eugene to this motel/hotel in Springfield I want, get my sleep (I forget how many hours but it's 2 flights from London).. and wake up refreshed and rent my car, and then... IDK...
Go to the supermarket, do my shopping, drive around the town, see what there is to do. I've heard they've got bars and TN'A Bars and stuff, so, why not? But whatever, just spend it not working, not studying, not lobbying or bitching. - I will probably miss my guitar, but it should be in London waiting for me.
I figure if I get bored, I can just watch The Simpsons, watch TV, try American snacks and stuff.
They have a place to go hiking, I also plan to use my run keeper app and go on this trail there.
Then Friday, drive to Portland, touch base with a city, go out, night on the town, swanky 5 star hotel, nice part of downtown...
Check in Friday, 2 nights 3 days, check out Sunday, back to Springfield, continue to take it easy, and check out the following Sunday, drive to the airport, return the rental there, fly home, arrive in London Monday Morning.
I've been advised to do this trip in the Summer as it gets real cold there in the winter.
- and then I found out they've got pot.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (7-31-2017 8:27 PM)

#2 8-1-2017 4:17 AM

Re: Springfield OR / Portland OR trip that I want to do.

According to Matt Groening there is no specific small town intended.  The set for the show is meant to be small town anytown america.  Springfield, OR would be a waste of your money as it is just a saw mill town.

#3 8-1-2017 7:50 AM

When I looked into it in February I wanted to (here's what I found):
In flights to Eugene, it'll be £1, 375 return with Delta London to Salt Lake City - Salt Lake City to Eugene.
I'd depart London 14:25 and land in Eugene at 7:05am +1 day (23:05 local time); I'd land around 01:00 + 1 day in Salt Lake City (18:00 local time) and go through immigration there; then do whatever there is to do in Salt Lake City Airport Departures until it's time to board my Eugene flight that takes off at 05:10+ 1 day (22:10 local time) and lands at 07:05am + 1 day(23:05 local time).- According to my body in my time zone; I'd take off at 2:30pm and touch down at 07:05am the next day at the airport in Eugene, OR;

I figure I'd take a taxi to where I want to stay (can't be more than $100.00) - it's about 20 minutes from the airport in Eugene to where I want to stay in Springfield; I'd check in, go to sleep; because you'd probably have to wake me up in the end to do anything; and I should be awake by like 7/8/9/10am local time. I'd spend the morning observing. Just encase I over sleep however, I won't book a car before 2pm; either walk or get a taxi from my hotel to the car place (depends on the hotel I use); rent a car; drive around exploring Springfield as a Simpsons geek taking pictures of everything from trees, scenery, hills, small town America, this dive I want to stay in; everything; take pictures, buy junk food, watch the Simpsons; live as a Springfieldian/Springfielder...
The hotel I want, I like that it's on the street I want (which is the same main street as the car I want to hire so I can just walk to it and pick it up, and be based on main street.

The car I want is £368.00 for 11 days. I pick it up on Main Street, Springfield, OR and I can even use it to drive to the airport in the end and return it at the airport in Eugene at 12 noon for a 1 pm flight.

With this car, I also want to drive to Portland, OR on Friday for a weekend in Portland; return to Springfield on Sunday... So that's why I also want this car; for that, as well as getting around and stuff.
The hotel in Portland is £272.00 for 2 nights and looks nicer than that dive in Springfield I want to use.

By end of it all, I want to be so used to that life, that when it's time to go back to London; I can get excited about going to London (all be it home).

On flights + that motel in Springfield + car rental + nice hotel in a nice part of downtown Portland is £2, 400.00 (rounded up).
I also want enough money to live nicely in America, so; There's the spending money I want to save up for.
Like £6, 000.00 with like £2, 400.00 on everything and £2, 600.00 to enjoy myself with/live off of out there.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-1-2017 9:34 AM)

#4 8-1-2017 8:55 AM

Re: Springfield OR / Portland OR trip that I want to do.

This saw mill town could be just what the doctor ordered.
But if not, I'd still have London to come home to.

There are other places I wish to visit in the US, but this trip to Oregon does appeal, if I'm honest, it's like I get to do small town living for a couple of weeks and treat myself to a weekend in Portland by going all out on the hotel (5 star weekend etc etc in Portland, like a vacation within a vacation).

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-1-2017 9:51 AM)

#5 8-1-2017 9:24 AM

bDYh2T3D8HQ
Videos like this have sold it for me.

#6 8-1-2017 10:20 AM

Re: Springfield OR / Portland OR trip that I want to do.

I can see myself in Portland dressed up real nice, at some nice hotel or some nice bar.
I can see myself in Springfield... Doing what I want to do anywhere. TV+snacks.
But this way I'd get to say that I've done Springfield.

Then there's stuff I see there, like strip bars, cheap cigarettes, trails to do and places to explore and legal marijuana that can make going interesting. They've got Chinese food too but Springfield, OR is a world away from London. I want to take it easy in Springfield... With options of their Hot Tubs at their water park maybe and trails to do, and for me, it looks very scenic to me with the evergreens and the American infrastructure alone. It's like, done deal for me. - I wanna do it.

Deal breakers include:

*No WiFi.

*Having to exceed spending for a holiday home if I'm forced to use one of them if I want to snack, go online and have a spliff.

*Cockroaches/infestation - this place I've got my eye on in Springfield is hardily Buckingham Palace.

^Those are my deal breakers for this trip.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-1-2017 10:29 AM)

#7 8-1-2017 2:48 PM

Re: Springfield OR / Portland OR trip that I want to do.

some places to visit in Portland...
the largest bookstore in the world     http://www.powells.com/

Springfield/Eugene
is a college town
https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=brewer … gene%2C+OR
http://traveloregon.com/cities-regions/ … ringfield/

The Oregon coast is amazing.      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-hGwtvtXCk&t=5s

I looked at your video and there are thousands of small towns in America just like that.

a coupla adds

dont forget streetview on gmaps

Last edited by katzgar (8-1-2017 2:59 PM)

#8 8-1-2017 3:01 PM

katzgar wrote:

... there are thousands of small towns in America just like that.

Sweet... big_smile

In regards to any other town I can do this in...
'but none of them are Springfield'
and
'the heart wants what it wants'

As for things I want to check out.

Voodoo Doughnut in Portland (there's also one in Eugene)...
and erm....

Portland... 5 star hotel, should have a nice bar there, there should be nice bars or fun night clubs, right? Something for a young single guy with a British accent to do. (I'm 30).
Lord knows I would love to find a guitar shop in Portland if there aren't any in Eugene.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-1-2017 3:12 PM)

#9 8-1-2017 3:53 PM

Re: Springfield OR / Portland OR trip that I want to do.

you can entertain yourself as you wish, I will just post particulars as I see fit.  It is a circle.  There are about 8 guitar shops in Eugene and many more in Portland.

these are local guitar makers, there may be more but my google got tired.  You can get your google on.

#10 8-1-2017 3:58 PM

Re: Springfield OR / Portland OR trip that I want to do.

might want to delay your trip...   http://www.oregonguitarexpo.com/

#11 8-1-2017 3:58 PM

Re: Springfield OR / Portland OR trip that I want to do.

I could see myself looking for a post office to send things home.
I don't know what, but'll be things I buy too big to pack.

#12 8-1-2017 4:03 PM

nice.

I found some when I googled: guitar shop springfield or
just now

I found like 3, 1 grabbed my attention because it was a repair shop, and those are always interesting. In theory, I could buy a nice guitar, and the parts I want, and have them installed and have it ready to ship back in England... in theory, but that would require more money to save up for just encase I find any.
- but, your list offers more, big_smile, thank you.

breedlovemusic
bedellguitars

Where's Bend? I've heard of it, but only because I've been researching this part of the world for my trip and only that reason.

veritasguitars

looks nice, but hey, wait a minute, this one's not even in OR! lol.. I mean it...
I don't really want to go out of my way or anything, if there's none in Springfield/Eugene (though I've found some) or in Portland then, it'll just have to be an indulgence not fulfilled for 2 weeks in Oregon.

portlandguitar

this looks good, but... I won't be in the area too long - I could probably drive to this place after I've checked in on the Friday if I leave Springfield early... If there's nothing better to do in Portland, I'd go, but...
I won't be in town long enough to establish any kind of real bond with this guitar builders so... If they're busy, they're busy, I'm not going to be in town long enough to wait around, but... I could always, as I say, find nothing better to do, than, sure! Pop round, say hi, see what's they've got. I can see myself ringing this business.

giffinguitars

I actually couldn't find where they were.

I found...
R. Kneale Guitar Repair in Springfield!!!
This is what grabbed my eye and excites me.
They repair/build guitars and they're in Springfield!
I may have lucked out. (I mean it, I may visit this guy so much I may have found a best friend in OR lol, so if I am to build a relationship with any businesses, it's this guy. (Providing when I first go there and I'm not horrified or nothing like that, but I doubt it); I figure this is the place to go to if I find a nice guitar on this trip and buy all the parts and get anything shipped, it's this.

Guitar Center (I think I went to one maybe in New Jersey in 2004, I think I've heard of these if it's a chain retail - maybe) but they have what I want Gibsons, Fenders so I want to see if they've got any nice ones from the Gibson custom shop VOS or Fender American deluxe line or whatever else there is like BC Rich etc etc... Something nice right... Something I like at least.
That's in Eugene.

&
McKenzie River Music - I know this is in town because, I've heard of McKenzie  now...
That's in Eugene too..

might want to delay your trip...   oregonguitarexpo

This is real cool.
Tell me, what is the weather like in Portland in October?

This has the power to plan my trip around it, however, forgetting this very cool event, in general I mean;  in regards to my proposed trip, 'back to the itinerary I've fell in love with'; -

I want Portland's answer to Tin Pan Alley if it has it, some place to shop for Gibsons and Fenders and guitar pickups and accessories - doing this for me is part of touching base with reality and half of the reason for my trip to Portland is to see how there guitar shops go.  In Portland, I want where there's all sorts guitar shops selling all sorts of guitars be they new, used, whatever, I won't be in town long enough for much else but, so if they have this, cool.
If not, then I'd just explore other things I've not heard of before and get information from tourist information places there who could tell me what's a landmark in Portland and what's not in the days instead. So I'm not fussed if there's no real guitar shops in Portland, but, IDK, you'd think there's something though, right?

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-1-2017 5:11 PM)

#13 8-1-2017 4:17 PM

osgoodst
steve
Chicago, Illinois
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IIAward: Critic IIIAward: Writer IIAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: TravelpedianAward: Bedbug IAward: Vox Populi IVAward: Most Helpful Hotel Reviewer (Past Winner)
Explorer
Posts: 1159

Re: Springfield OR / Portland OR trip that I want to do.

So in Portland you'll see that all the streets share the name with Simpson characters.  Like you'll have Nelson Street, Milhouse Street, Quimby street, etc.

#14 8-1-2017 5:07 PM

ilikeitlikethat wrote:

nice.

I found some when I googled: guitar shop springfield or
just now

- but, your list offers more, big_smile, thank you.

breedlovemusic
bedellguitars

veritasguitars

portlandguitar

giffinguitars

I actually couldn't find where they were.

I found...
R. Kneale Guitar Repair in Springfield!!!
This is what grabbed my eye and excites me.
They repair/build guitars and they're in Springfield!

That's in Eugene.

&
That's in Eugene too..

might want to delay your trip...   oregonguitarexpo

This is real cool.
Tell me, what is the weather like in Portland in October?

This has the power to plan my trip around it, however, forgetting this very cool event, in general I mean; in regards to my proposed trip, 'back to the itinerary I've fell in love with' - I want Portland's answer to Tin Pan Alley if it has it, some place to shop for Gibsons and Fenders and guitar pickups and accessories - Doing this for me is part of touching base with reality and half of the reason for my trip to Portland when out in Springfield for 2 weeks is touching base with city life lest I go nuts, and it'll give me something to look forward to on my vacation while I'm on vacation having fun anyway.
In Portland, I want where there's all sorts guitar shops selling all sorts of guitars be they new, used, whatever, I won't be in town long enough for much else, so if they have this, cool.
If not, then I'd just go out on the the town and look up landmarks and stuff in the days instead. So I'm not fussed if there's no real guitar shops in Portland, but, IDK, you'd think there's something though, right?

I provided your links for several guitar manufacturers in Portland and there's something like probably 40 guitar shops in Portland you should be able to Google

#15 8-1-2017 5:09 PM

Re: Springfield OR / Portland OR trip that I want to do.

The drive from Eugene to Bend is about two and a half hours. The weather will be Autumn Leaves will be off the trees

Last edited by katzgar (8-1-2017 5:12 PM)

#16 8-1-2017 5:14 PM

Re: Springfield OR / Portland OR trip that I want to do.

Veritas guitars is across the Columbia River in Vancouver Washington so it's very local

#17 8-1-2017 5:28 PM

katzgar wrote:

The drive from Eugene to Bend is about two and a half hours

I'll pass, and also, what you said about there being like 40 something guitar shops in Portland...
Thank you! - This gives me peace of mind about something for me to do in the day time there.
I might leave Springfield early afterall to be in Portland Friday during business hours (5 hour drive right)?

osgoodst wrote:

Exactly...
I've seen 2 hotels that look real nice in Downtown and I noticed they were near Burnside Bridge, and that reminds me of Mr. Burns so, yeah - There's also one called Lovejoy St.

I must stress again, my reasons to go to Portland are...
If I've been running all week down in Springfield on a trail or something here and I find that that's real fun, and sitting in a hot tub at the water park there... I like keeping fit and all of that... I want to be somewhere swanky for lack of a better description) and feel like my name was James Bond or Prince Harry or whatever right/just be my charming self in some really 5 star hotel lobby or something. Treat it like a wild weekender and treat it how someone would treat going to Las Vegas or Amsterdam, so you know, going on the pull/to pickup women, at night; since my hotel will be so nice, I'd want to be spoilt in Portland.

I know I want to see the guitar shop scene, in the day, and the Voodoo Doughnuts and look around for any streets that made it on the show, and whatever else there might be to do if Matt Groening has a museum in Portland or anything (kidding), but I'm really looking to go all out on 5 star luxury there, so, maybe indulge in my nerdy fandom in the day? but, really, spoil myself rotten and live a really nice lifestyle that weekend. The hotels I've found for this look really nice and prices do reflect, I'm looking to be based in luxury in Portland to makeup for that place I found in Springfield being a dive, but also, go to Portland to see Portland and to say I've seen Portland/been to Portland. I figure, checking out city life in this part of the world; go to Portland.
I like the idea of not leaving Oregon on this trip and, if I rent the car in Springfield, should still have Oregon plates so I won't stick out and would from glancing at me, appear to be a local driving around with plates from there. (This factoid about these places being in the same state and the vehicle I'm guessing/hoping has native plates, is just bonus for that). If they give me a car from California or somehing, I'd use it, whatever, but it would be nice to feel like a local spending his vacation at home for a week or 2 on this trip when I'm taking it easy in down in Springfield.

Also, Nike are from Portland right? I figure I could find a Niketown or something.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-1-2017 5:54 PM)

#18 8-1-2017 5:50 PM

NickelP
Nicole
Award: Community LeaderAward: Photographer IAward: Critic IAward: Writer IAward: Happy Happy HappyAward: Vox Populi IAward: Spambuster I
Posts: 130

Here's some info on the Simpson's streets in Portland

There are Nike Factory Stores in Portland. I think it's the one in NE Portland that has the discounts.

Just as a note for deciphering Portland street addresses it is divided into 4 quadrants, NE, SE, NW, SW. Burnside road divides north and south and the Willamette River divides East and West.

Lots of breweries, just remember that Pacific Northwest IPAs are nothing like English IPAs. They have alot more hops and are alot more bitter.

Was down in Portland last month and brought home a box of Voodoo Donuts.

#19 8-1-2017 6:02 PM

Re: Springfield OR / Portland OR trip that I want to do.

I want to be able spend a lot of money on this  if I have to if it means getting this right.
Money for; WiFi (if I have to supply my own in the US), gas, taxis, strip bars in Springfield, high end guitars maybe etc etc.
Budgeting for the chance of purchasing a high end guitar means saving more, but, the more I save, the better I'd be able to enjoy myself when out there.

Like... I know how much tickets and hotels should be as well as car rental.

But then I want enough money to treat myself and live off of (It will be my vacation after all), and so I'm thinking of saving at least double what the hotels and tickets and car costs. (all in all £5, 000.00 or £6, 000.00 -  I'd rather go prepared to spend a small fortune and have a really comfortable cushion on this and come back to England and call any money not spent a net profit. (If I decide I want to rule out a nice guitar)... If however, I want to be able to guitar shop too (doesn't hurt to be able to), I'll have to save upwards of £7,000.00 to £10, 000.00 and I'd only ever justify spending this  much on a 2 week trip if I have a trip of  lifetime AND come back home with an asset like nice guitar or used American car that I shipped to England for couple of thousand... So... I would save up £10, 000.00 - it'll take me longer, I won't save anymore to P' away on a 2 week trip though, but I'd save up  to £10, 000.00 -  £2, 500.00 on flights and hotels and cars, and whatever I've spent, if I buy no assets, return to England with like £5, 000.00 unspent which would mean I've spent no more than £5, 000.00 living comfortably on a once in a life time trip on the other side of the world and treating my self to stuff I want anyways, or, spending £10, 000.00 on this once in a life time trip and having something really awesome that I sourced in Oregon to show for it too.
It's going to be a real pain, but, I need £10, 000.00 for my trip, to be sure I'm happy.
It's either return to England with the money if I don't spend it, or be able to afford something really cool too; win/win.

Over save, be prepared, that's my motto.

Personally not too fussed about my IPAs.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-1-2017 6:35 PM)

#20 8-1-2017 6:20 PM

NickelP
Nicole
Posts: 130

Re: Springfield OR / Portland OR trip that I want to do.

This should help a bit with checking out Portland. Downtown, Pearl District, Nob Hill may be your swanky areas (unfortunately I'm not familiar). Hawathorne, Division, Alberta and Mississippi Districts are pretty cool little areas to check out.

https://www.travelportland.com/things-t … s-regions/

Last edited by NickelP (8-1-2017 6:40 PM)

#23 8-1-2017 7:08 PM

NickelP wrote:

Cool site, thanks.

TBH, I've heard of when it comes to Portland...

Matt Groening - Street Names that's made it into the Simpsons
Voodoo Doughnuts
Nike
Portland's NBA Team (The Trail Blazers)...

But that's part of the fun of travel, learning about different cities and finding what you like in them.

I figure... As long as I'm okay with driving in Portland, I'd be okay.
I have no idea on how this city is so........
I will for sure look into this before going.
I'd also want an E-Z Pass like they have on the Pennsylvania Turnpike where you just drive through slowly rather than queue at toll booths; I want that right, but, as a tourist renting his wheels looking to do it on a solo, I doubt I can have everything... But, yeah... I'd study road maps of Portland before I set off with google maps so I know what's a one way street and if they're all one way streets and which one way streets to take to get to where I want to be.

But I know little about Portland and I know it's a city and I'm from a city and, I also want to boogie...
and stake a claim in saying I've been to Portland. (5 star is always fun, Portland's a city)... Let's  see what Portland has to offer and boogie at night*mentality.
This means guitar shops, nights out, getting around, landmarks/points of interest/things to try,see, do, souvenirs to get, gifts to buy (even if it's a nice gift for me)... but really, gifts to buy others to take home with me to gift etc etc from Portland -shopping' and landmarks.

..I do want 1 thing however, now that I think about; I'd like an Oregon state flag maybe, or a bigger American flag than the one I have.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-2-2017 7:19 AM)

#24 8-2-2017 7:30 AM

Re: Springfield OR / Portland OR trip that I want to do.

Let me do a quick run down of the economics I'm looking at real quick...

£2, 500.00 on air tickets, hotels, car rental, traveller's insurance.
£2, 500.00 to live off of.
£5, 000.00 for 'just encase'
'just encase means finding and buying an asset like a high end guitar or a used car and shipping it back home to England'...

Grand total: £10, 000.00

I could probably do without the £5, 000.00 budget 'just encase'
I think, £2, 500.00 for me to live off of for 2 weeks is... a little tight?
(I know my spending habits, so, this is why I'm wondering about this budget).

I never know, I could under spend and return from it all to with enough to do this trip a couple of times over.

What do you think, practical/making it too hard on myself?

What would be YOUR comfort budget for 2 weeks solo anywhere spending money be? (to cover living and unforeseen spending be it $100.00 to call Triple A and have them come out and help me) etc etc.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat (8-2-2017 7:46 AM)

#25 8-2-2017 7:43 AM

Re: Springfield OR / Portland OR trip that I want to do.

Budgets for trips like this are always tough but I would plan on $60 a night for a motel and you should be able to get by easily on 30 bucks a day for food.  The variable for the food will be buying a box of Voodoo Donuts or a bottle of wine or a six-pack of beer those sorts of expenditures.  The other expenses like the plane ticket and the possible guitar I couldn't even guess as to what they may be.

This post has had no activity for 90 days and has been closed to new replies.

Board footer